PDA

View Full Version : When does CAS go??

Winco
18th May 2009, 10:42
Could someone give me an accurate date for Mr Torpey's last day in post please?

A couple of us are going to go out to celebrate the fact that you boys and girls might soon get some proper kit that you really need and want, and not just bucket loads of Typhoons!!

The Winco

Wader2
18th May 2009, 10:58
Whatever floats your boat :) but I don't think anything will change.

Currently serving as Deputy Commander-in-Chief Personnel, Air Marshal Stephen Dalton will take up post as Chief of the Air Staff on 31 July 2009.

May not be his last day in uniform but certainly the end of his ground effect.

Until he joines EADS that is.:bored:

NutLoose
18th May 2009, 11:24
They should bring one of those new HM Forces toys out of him along with a free box of pins ;)

And a Defence Minister with a Cashback deal on the box, worth over £26000 a year :p

Maxibon
18th May 2009, 19:27
I had to chuckle over the other thread criticising CGS when in reality, and I know this webite isn't purelyRAF, the current CAS has put in such a sterling performance fully representing the issues and concerns of the hardworking and loyal members of the RAF. It may be blinkered of CGS to concentrate on his 105,000 but there are not 41,000 reliant on Typhoon and given the woeful defence budget, and despite our inability to afford LS operations, and the dreadful state of the AT fleet, the continual (and may I say awesome) performance of the SH types, I still think Gen Dannatt has put Tworpy to shame.

There had my tuppence.:hmm:

Hardly Worth it
25th May 2009, 05:02
Soon I hope ! :ok:

spheroid
25th May 2009, 09:38
What about CDS..? He seems to have been in post forever....when does he move on?

Wrathmonk
25th May 2009, 09:58
CDS has been extended for up to another 2 years I think - don't think the government fancied any of the available 4* choices as all had, in some way, shot themselves in the foot! Not sure if you have had to be a Single Service chief before taking CDS or not.

Maxibon
25th May 2009, 10:59
To quote that old joke

CAS is so far up Broon's backside he can see CDS's shoes...:oh:

SL Hardly-Worthitt
25th May 2009, 14:41
Hardly Worth it Soon I hope ! http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

I say...we appear to be related.....and in absolutely strong agreement! :ok::ok:

I see you are from the Southwestern (and non-hyphenated) branch of our illustrious family tree. Best regards to you and yours 'down there'.

H-W

PS. I shall be raising a glass or two when TCT departs.....cheers! :D

VinRouge
26th May 2009, 11:27
Are you his ADC or are you being sarcastic? :E

To be fair to the guy, I DO believe the Air Force is in better shape than when he picked it up; a lot of what has gone on in the past few years could arguably be blamed on the long-term culture of senior rank...

Personally, speaking from the front line, I do honestly believe things are better than when he took over. It took a long time to change, some would say too long, and this is undoubtably not everyones experience, I do think the (little) man has done a good job with the atrocious funding allocated by that fecker residing in 10 Downing Street.

Bar having to do the fitness test every 6 months that is! :ok:

ZH875
26th May 2009, 11:29
Have you any idea how fortunate the RAF has been to have such a capable pilot and commander as Glenn Torpy as CAS?

Can I have a pint of what you've been drinking...............

Lightning Mate
26th May 2009, 11:49
"Can I have a pint of what you've been drinking..............."

and me!

This will reveal how old I am:
Said person was a student of mine - Linton-on-Ouse mid 70s.

Wrathmonk
26th May 2009, 11:51
Funny how times change.

Three years ago this thread (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/214922-acm-torpy.html)was quite positive about the new CAS.

I suspect all those thinking life is going to change when ACM Dalton takes the hot seat may be in for a shock. For a start look at their back grounds - both Jag pilots, both commanded Tornado GR squadrons. Both FJ station commanders. There are however two big differences (apart from their height!). Firstly Torpy has, IMHO, been very operationally focussed in terms of his air ranks appointments and, despite what some individuals think, is well respected by the other Services for his abilities in the Joint arena. Secondly, one of Daltons previous appointments (as a 2*) was as the first (IIRC) DG Typhoon. If anything there will be even more 4-star focus on Typhoon....!

All my opinion of course - but backed up by having worked with and for both individuals (including operational deployments). And Torpy was head and shoulders above Dalton ;). Be thankful that it is not the current CINCAIR about to become CAS. Then you really would see an explosion of management-speak bollock$, non-stop studies into theories etc!

Time will tell.

Lightning Mate
26th May 2009, 14:06
He was not my primary student, but I flew many times with him.
Yes, he was a good pair of hands - he would not have got to "fast jets" if he was not.

LM

cornish-stormrider
26th May 2009, 15:03
It seemeth to my simple eyes there is a solution to many problems here, Cas, his replacement and the oppo's from t'other sevices (dark blue and pongo brownjob) should all sit round a table and agree on three things :

a gold seal united plan, where they all get everything.
a silver seal united plan, where they each have to sacrifice a big shiny but keep the rest.
an oh sh$t plan where the kitty is empty and they have massive overcommitments and have to shoehorn it out of what there is.

The three of them then go to CDS, take him up to Aunty Betty, salute smartly and inform her we are no longer capable. She can then take he royal coach down to no 10 and turf the one eyed nostril miner out on his unelected jock ear. Then a side trip to whitehall ( with an axe)

If we are being run by bean counters then you have to out beancounter them.....

Back on thread now, Whenever Torpy leaves (and I admit I do not care for his hand on the train's controls) so long as he has made it better as much as is possible then ok, I do however suspect he has not.........

Pension over troops???

Hardly Worth it
27th May 2009, 16:54
cheers to you too...... :ok:

Data-Lynx
4th Aug 2009, 19:12
Winco. It happened last Friday at 1200. (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive.cfm?storyid=DFF92456-5056-A318-A8D85FDED9162E42) Do you think that they were standing on the same MoD step? Cheers.

Grabbers
4th Aug 2009, 19:29
Does anyone reckon Torpy is off to supplement his vast pension with the other 6 down the diamond mine? :E

teeteringhead
5th Aug 2009, 05:44
And the most truly wonderful thing about the official release - see Data-Lynx's link above - is that they manage to spell the name wrong!! Glen Torphy anyone... (perhaps this should be in the RAF News thread!

[edited to add the quote, in case they notice and change it]

New Head of the Royal Air Force - Monday 3 August 2009

Back to news article list

Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Dalton has taken over as Chief of the Air Staff from Air Chief Marshal Sir Glenn Torphy, effective from Friday Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Stephen Dalton31st July 2009.

Data-Lynx
5th Aug 2009, 08:52
teeteringhead. Well Done for keeping the evidence. The web mistress has just updated the RAF Site.

NURSE
5th Aug 2009, 11:52
ah well so when does the next CAS take over then?

;)

might as well keep this one open as open another one at a later date

minigundiplomat
5th Aug 2009, 14:41
We could always gap the post and spend the money on something we need...:E

Tankertrashnav
5th Aug 2009, 15:55
Has there ever been a nav CAS? Will there ever be? Cue pilots falling off their bar stools in helpless laughter - but seriously (some hope!) if not, why not?

Also just thought - will there be female one? Maggie and Golda Meir (sp?)great war leaders, so again - why not?

Data-Lynx
5th Aug 2009, 19:17
TankerT.
Pondering your point about the sort of person who drives the ultimate front seat in the RAF, in which Group did Sir Steve do his AOC thing please?