PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow security

Bondyboy63
17th May 2009, 16:11
News article from the Jersey Evening Post 17th may 2009
Airport’s novel anti-terror move (http://www.thisisjersey.com/2009/05/14/airports-novel-anti-terror-move/)

http://www.thisisjersey.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/00690051_cropped_2_cropped.jpg (http://www.thisisjersey.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/00690051_cropped_2_cropped.jpg)Mrs Burgess was told that the picture of the gun might upset other passengers (00690051)

No liquids, no gels, no sharp items and no books with images of guns on board this flight . . .
That is exactly what bank worker Carolyn Burgess (58), of St Brelade, was told as she was stopped by security for trying to take her paperback on board a plane from Heathrow to Japan.
As Mrs Burgess placed her Robert B Parker novel, A Triple Shot of Spenser, onto the security tray she had it snatched away from her because it ‘might upset passengers’ on the plane. It had the image of a handgun on the front.
‘I must have looked stunned, as I am past my half-century and not perhaps the most obvious terrorist,’ said the Royal Bank of Scotland clerical worker. ‘I honestly thought they were joking. It seemed so silly. I was half way through merrily reading my book.’
Mrs Burgess, who was travelling alone to visit her son in Japan, had passed through security at Jersey airport with the crime fiction novel without any problems.
A spokesman for BAA said: ‘In certain circumstances, a passenger carrying an item which features an image or slogan that could be perceived as aggressive may be asked to cover it up or remove it. Security officers are advised to use common sense when making these requests.’

Llademos
17th May 2009, 19:39
Security officers are advised to use common sense when making these requests

And therein lies the problem.

Final 3 Greens
17th May 2009, 19:51
Yep, some of them don't appear to have any.

Dropline
17th May 2009, 21:30
I bet the book is on sale in the airside bookshops!

strake
18th May 2009, 04:46
Perhaps Voltaire was a visionary and had Heathrow firmly in mind when he stated: "The problem with common sense is that it isn't very common"

TightSlot
18th May 2009, 10:39
Aaaah - Voltaire!

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."

Only on PPRuNe could we leap from a Robert B Parker novel to Voltaire via Heathrow and Jersey.

I love it! :)

strake
18th May 2009, 12:55
So, Tightslot, another leap which you might approve of. As I prepare to rest in Tokyo, a word from ancient Japanese philosophy which, I think, encompasses one of your main reasons for being here: Mottainai.

Oyasuminasai :ok:

WHBM
18th May 2009, 13:05
Aaaah - Voltaire!
Hmmm - Voltaire ? Was that an airline of the past I have somehow missed ?

UniFoxOs
18th May 2009, 14:34
No, it's new and environmentally friendly - the planes run on electricity.

TightSlot
18th May 2009, 18:02
Strake - Right back at ya with

Domo Arigato Gozai Ma****a

(I googled yours - not wrong!)

B Sousa
19th May 2009, 03:23
Domo Arigato Gozai Ma****a

Wasnt that supposed to be Domo Arigato Mister Roboto.

Ex-RN
19th May 2009, 21:15
‘I must have looked stunned, as I am past my half-century and not perhaps the most obvious terrorist,’

My mother in law (80yr old) in a party of three at LAS Vegas immigration last month was told she was exempt from fingerprint & photographs by age.
Step forward Bin Ladens Mum - your time has come !!!

Businesstraveller
20th May 2009, 07:28
How marvellously random it all is - I can't remember the number of times I've passed through Heathrow recently with a shaving razor in my hand luggage without hinderance. Maybe if I'd had a shifty looking stance I'd not have fared so well...

belfrybat
20th May 2009, 16:22
Good thing I carry my Mickey Spillane collection in electronic format now. All of the paper-backs have a gun on the cover somewhere, not to mention some rather lurid females.

Maybe it's really a campaign to raise the reading standards among the flying public.:suspect:

strake
22nd May 2009, 18:54
Just come back through Narita. From the time one is stopped for a check about 2km before the airport, through actual airport security and then finally the gate, all the staff are friendly and helpful. I mean really helpful and smiling.
The reason? They believe they are providing a service and they recognise the customer as someone who should be assisted and respected.

The staff are not "subservient" in their manner and the security is every bit as strong as UK but it makes passengers feel relaxed and comfortable before a flight.

£50k spent sending some BAA security managers and supervisors over there to see how things are done might be money well spent. I also find it hard to believe that Willie and Richard aren't aware of the difference, so why don't they insist on some change instead of allowing their customers and crew to be constantly abused by security in UK terminals?

PAXboy
22nd May 2009, 19:24
strake You've been warned before about talking common sense and plain English. So now just stop it before we all start dreaming of a better BAA and how things used to be. :8

L337
22nd May 2009, 20:45
I also find it hard to believe that Willie and Richard aren't aware of the difference, so why don't they insist on some change instead of allowing their customers and crew to be constantly abused by security in UK terminals?

They do insist. They have endless discussions. The BAA is fully aware. The BAA does as the BAA wants. And stuff the customer.

bandit2106
23rd May 2009, 18:38
The conveyor system at T5 security ate my liquids bag. After getting the all over grope and wand treatment, I was busy retrieving my laptop, backpack, coat...yada yada, and the last item to grab was my liquids plastic bag. The conveyor takes the tray back underneath, and my bag went along too. I found a member of staff, complained about my loss and my bag was retrieved from somewhere underneath :rolleyes:

10secondsurvey
27th May 2009, 18:42
Ah yes, the conveyor system at T5, a truly dumb system. From what I have heard, many, many things go missing under the conveyor.

A2QFI
28th May 2009, 15:30
A "shaving" razor (what other sort is there?) isn't a prohibited item (yet)! So long as the blades are enclosed in some way and not removable there isn't a problem. Please don't give the idiots ideas about more ways to ruin our travelling experience