PDA

View Full Version : Non-Standard Alternate Minimums for Helicopters

jibboo
16th May 2009, 14:40
Just wondering if anyone could add to our discussion at work this morning.

The debate is if an approach plate has non-standard alternate minimums (for the purpose of filing) listed. Does this apply to helicopters for 135 ops?

An example is KSBA ILS RWY 7.
It's approved as an alternate.
The back of the jepp has Non-standard Alternate mins of: 800/2

The question:
IF FILING AS AN ALTERNATE DOES THE WEATHER HAVE TO BE:

A. 200' above the minimum of the approach to be flown and 1sm (not less
than reqd vis for approach). (derived from §91.169 C (ii))
B. 800/2 (back of the plate)
C. Get back to work:eek:

§135.221 Vague...

WhirlwindIII
16th May 2009, 21:31
Good question. Probably in your Ops Specs, H-105 or so.

jibboo
16th May 2009, 22:21
So that's part of the debate.

H105 says:
200' above HAT or HAA and 1 mile but not less than the published mins.

Does this trump the non-standard alternate mins listed on the plate?

Phil77
16th May 2009, 22:53
My suggestion:

200' above HAT or HAA and 1 mile but not less than the published mins.

since the mins are alternated for the purpose of filing as an alternate, the (higher) alternate minimums apply and cannot be lowered by your Ops-Specs.
After all, there must be a reason why they issued non-standard alternate minimums, right?

I stand corrected.

WhirlwindIII
17th May 2009, 02:08
If they are in your Ops Specs, they rule, usual disclaimers of veracity and potential non-conformity apply. If you are not comfortable with that interpretation I suspect you should contact FAA in Washington, D.C. for a final ruling, via their web site, - it is very easy to do, then they simply post the question and results to yourself and on their FAQs. It is a good question to which their FAQs may already resolve - puruse them at your leisure.

Bear in mind their results might take some time to sort out as such things can be easily considered a slam-dunk, when in fact simple questions, statements, assumptions, and interpretations can be absolutely anything but due to the nature of the other rules and guidance previously promulgated by FAA. Due to first hand experience and upfront knowledge of this rule's creation I suspect you'll be home-free in no time.

Good luck.

WIII

jibboo
18th May 2009, 15:15
Well the consensus is to file the higher of the two till we get a definitive answer from the feds in OK city. Thanks for your replies!