PDA

View Full Version : Learn to fly - UK or USA?

Driftingthru
15th May 2009, 20:17
Hi everyone,

Im taking the first steps towards a career in flying. I currently, only have 7 hours flying in a DA40 which i really enjoyed but i wanted to see if anyone had any advice on the following ;
A) a flying school to take me the modular route from 0 hours to frozen ATPL (im currently flying with cabair from cranfield)
and
B) As I live in the UK is it better from a career point of view to learn to fly in the UK or the USA and if it is better why?

I know its cheaper in the USA but ive heard rumours that airlines like people to have trained in the UK is that true or do they just want consistency with the training as in same flying college or instructor?

All comments much appreciated!

Thanks

Sam.

chongololo
15th May 2009, 20:20
are you crazy? now is not the time.

Driftingthru
15th May 2009, 20:27
Lol I understand its a difficult time in the industry but i dont plan on completing the training due to finances for at least 2 years!

More than likely the industry will pick up by then.

But any thoughts on the original question?? :ok:

hightower1986
15th May 2009, 20:38
Personally I would say the Uk by the time you have added all the costs up for flights there visa's etc and food accomodation blah blah, then I would say find a good club to fly from in the UK for the PPL, I heard loads of storys of the FAA licence being a tad shabby! (expect angry American abuse here!) but people generally get there PPl there and then have to spend another 10 hours learning to fly properly, this is all I heard so dont take it as true but something to think about and although the weather is crap sometimes im sure you can drill through the PPL over the summer?

I came to NZ for mine as it had a good reputation for training and also the weather was brilliant, before it changed to winter now that is, I knew it would be more expensive coming here than the Uk but the weather was good everyday and its been good to see somwhere new. So no regrets, if you are doing it just to get the licence then I would stick with UK but if you can afford a long holiday then have a look elsewhere!

mierda
15th May 2009, 20:40
I have met quite a few people that went to the States to save money on flight training. The reality is that they all ended up spending the same or even more than if they had completed training in the UK. False economy!

There are other factors to consider, for instance flying in the States is very different than flying here.

Contrary to a lot of people's belief, I think now is a great time to get the training. Aviation goes in waves, and if you train now you will be ready for the next one.

Negotiate prices with your flight school, and stick to DA40 and 42s. There are plenty of flight schools that operate these aircraft offering fantastic deals a the moment. There is one advertising ME IR includng approaches and landing fees for £11000

Driftingthru
16th May 2009, 09:18
Hi again!

Thanks for all your advice guys :D So from what I have read so far the best option is to stay in the UK and gain my licenses here.

Is there an issue with hour building in the states or is that frowned upon as well?

Does anyone have any advice on schools? As I said im currently with cabair has anyone had any good or bad experiences with them? Everything seems ok so far but ive read a few disheartening posts that they are close to bankruptcy? Does anyone know if theres any truth in this?

Sam. :ok:

hightower1986
16th May 2009, 09:24
Hour build where you like I think is the main point. Im going to be doing some hour building soon when I get some more money saved and im planning on doing some good long cross country flying and just to enjoy it rather than burning holes in the sky trying to fill up my log book with wasted hours of circuits etc. Why not take a trip to france? Even hour building will probably be cheaper in the UK, unless your fancying a holiday hour building in the states id ask around in the UK, im sure you could find some good deals on a block of 20,50,100 hours from someone, just remember NEVER PAY UP FRONT! not all of it anyway!:=

FLT86
16th May 2009, 10:02
Hi !

And if you do your FAA training in USA and then, you do your ATPL theory JAA in USA and you come to UK to get your CPL-IR and MCC in order to have JAA licence issuied by CAA UK, it is good too, no ? (it is a package that many school propose to their student, you pay the same like for one licence jaa but you get two licence).
I am referring to JAA Skymates course : Skymates Inc. - JAA Courses - DGCA JAA M-1 Immigration Approved Flight Training in the USA (http://www.skymates.com/jaa-courses.php) .

Thanks!

Mickey Kaye
16th May 2009, 10:20
I'm tight I would do it where it is most cost effective.

Do you homework you don't have to pay Cabair prices to get top quality instruction.

FLT86
16th May 2009, 10:42
Yes, Indeed...and in USA, it seems like to be cheaper (38.000 Euros FAA/JAA training) + cost of life for one year and half and it should be not more than 50-55k euros (included some delay).

Thank you.

igarratt
16th May 2009, 10:57
I would say if you can find you can do it in the UK then do, but...

Weather is a pain and will slow you down
Maybe think about europe rather than the states, no paper work, better weather, more focused on intense training, closer to home and our regs.
If you go away (and I did in the end) expect to do some back in the uk training to get used to the differences.
UK does seem to be mostly more expensive but not always.
Also I found going away removed all the day to day home life interruptions and side tracks.

and lastly for everyone that says they frown on students who switch there is another who says it'd not that important.

I think I'd be careful if your handing over bulk cash to anyone in the current situation.

be good to hear who you go with, why and how it goes.

best of luck
Ian

A and C
16th May 2009, 17:13
The first thing you need to do is get out and look around the market, Cabair are very good at taking newcomers and getting them trapped into the rather expensive training options they have.

For some people the service offered by Cabair is a good idea, but they are usualy those who are short of time and NOT short of money.

A lot of the new blood to this business are seduced by the flashy new kit and glass avionics, but what you need at this stage is basic training using basic aircraft, if you walk up the stairs to the office above Cabair Mr Billins will teach you to fly a basic aircraft at a very attractive price.

The people at Billins air services will also teach you about the side of aviation that the glossy hand outs don't tell you about, this in the long run will save you a lot of money, take a little more time but make you a much better pilot.

Dane-Ger
16th May 2009, 19:54
I have recently completed my hour building here in the UK and started on my CPL course.

Two things I have noticed, firstly completing my hour building in the same environment (ie Scotland for me) that I am doing my CPL in has been a HUGE advantage. knowing the local area, weather etc has made the transition to CPL training much easier.

Secondly, flying in the UK weather is very challenging, I've flown many an hour in blue skies, but flying flying in low visibility and low cloud, being able to read the mountains and the weather associated with them, living with the gusts and crosswinds. these hours are worth five in CAVOK. In my opinion of course.

There is something to be said for building hours in the country you intend to train. Of course that doesn't exlude going on a flying holiday, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket.

8th Jun 2009, 14:32
I would strongly agree with A & C, I did my PPL (in minimal time which included night rating inside the 45) with Billins and they were excellent, also did my IMC there (also minimal time needed due to great training) and will look to do my ME/IR with Richard as you get the full time on the Seneca and not 30 hours in a SIM as with most. It is a shame they do not do CPL as would have done also with them. Richard is also an ex AL pilot so he has a first hand knowledge of industry and tells it like it is. No flashy brochures or expensive website just good training with a friendly atmosphere!

Good luck with your training.

chileno 777
8th Jun 2009, 21:27
BelArgUSA,

Could you pls check your PM?

:ok: