PDA

View Full Version : Kenya Airways AB Initio Pilot Recruitment

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

aspiringpilot
15th May 2009, 10:38
Hi guys,

I'm currently going through the Kenya Airways AB initio pilot recruitment process, I just want to document what I've seen over the past two months for posterity. The whole process is really rigorous and only people who meet the benchmarks for each stage move to the next one. Its ridiculously competitive, over 300 people start the interview process.

I applied for the program on their website in November 2008(deadline was 31 December 2008) and got an automated response that the application had been recieved. The basic requirements were that one has to be a Kenyan citizen and one has to have scored B+ and above in Math, Physics and English in KCSE and got an aggregate of B+ and above as well.

In April 2009 I recieved an email inviting me for an interview at their headquaters in Nairobi. The first interview was an Aptitude test conducted by the Kenya Air Force at their Embakassi Barracks. It consisted of the following sections
1. Math
2. Shape Matching
3. Mechanical Reasoning
4. Instrumentation
5. General Science

There were about 300 people for the first interview. 3 weeks later, 108 of us were invited for the next interview which was a psychometric / aptitude test called Morrisby Profile. google it to find out more about it.

This week, 57 of us did a medical. They basically checked everything you can think of, height, weight, blood, stool, urine, Chest Xray, ECG, hearing test, eye test and a physical by a Kenya Airways Doctor then another by the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority doctor. Some people were referred to Karen Hospital for further tests.

Next up, a psychomotor test and an oral interview with the captains. I don't know how many guys will be picked, I doubt the number is more than 15. Anyone in the know about this??? How is the psychomotor test conducted?

Carrier
15th May 2009, 14:48
In these days of increasing concern regarding privacy and loss of personal information by parties holding it, it would be interesting to know what happens to all of the personal information that has been collected by various agencies and individuals during this company's whole recruiting process.

I would never submit to such an insolently intrusive process. I worked my way up the aviation food chain to ATPL and have always submitted just my aviation and education credentials and valid work experience. Note that aviation credentials includes a Category 1 medical, which is all they are entitled to ask for in countries with any decent human rights legislation.

Over the years I expect some potential employers ignored my applications because I did not submit intrusive personal information but that was their loss. I have always been hired by somebody else who remained within the bounds of human rights decency. A potential employer’s attitude during the recruitment process is likely to indicate its attitude towards employees. One that is so intrusive is likely to be inconsiderate towards its employees to the point of being autocratic or dictatorial. Give it a miss; there are other employers out there who are far more considerate without in any way losing anything regarding safety or professionalism.

skytango1
16th May 2009, 21:06
Hello Carrier..VERY WELL SAID..I cannot agree with you more..
Been there and done that...still the same old S**T!!!Just a different day!!Yak Yak....Very happy where i am...

aspiringpilot
18th May 2009, 08:02
Carrier and skytango1 - You may have misunderstood my post, I was not complaining, I posted the information with the hope that other people applying to Kenya Airways in the years to come may find it useful.

The medical check up is required by law and that is why a Kenya Civil Aviation Authority doctor rechecked all the tests. The Health requirements of the KCAA for commercial pilots are no different from those of other civil aviation authorities
FAA (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=f773da44b79ef8aecddd087f276c8e80&rgn=div6&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.5.2&idno=14)
JAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=527)Carrier - for you to have obtained the Category 1 medical certificate you must have done the same tests. :ugh:

Kenya Airways will pay for all the training(including food and accommodation) from PPL to ATPL for the successful applicants and for all the type ratings(do the math) so naturally they want to get the best people.

Humpmedumpme - Thanks for the info and the link. Kenya Airways have been very courteous and respectful through out the whole process and have even gone out of their way to reschedule interviews, call interviewees in case they are late, etc... I have no doubt that they will maintain the high level of professionalism they have shown so far during the next two stages.

Of course only people who meet the benchmarks are going to pass otherwise there would be no point in doing any tests for anythinggrrrr........ :E

flying_hamster
18th May 2009, 16:41
Hey guys..

Well, I'm not sure of the 'professionalism' of KQ..
i too had applied, and hold a degree in mechanical engineering, and a masters degree in International Business..im pretty sure that would've been enough to be called for an interview.

However, no reply till today..i got the confirmation, and my application status still shows 'active'..

i got word that some applications have been "pre-screened", and quite a number got through on the basis of "kujuana na watu"..i'm yet to confirm this..

any updates on that?

wanabeeCapt
18th May 2009, 21:01
Hey aspiring pilot. I'm one of the remaining who will also do the psychomotor tomorrow. In my opinion, we shouldn't worry about the final number that will go for training in SA. Just give it your best for the remaining stages and you will definately pull through. Though I must point out that last time's lot to be trained were shortlisted to 38. The only inside information I got put this year's required number at an unconfirmed 30.

Incidentally, the link Humpmedumpme posted is the same I came across last week. It is greatly helpful but I'm sure composure and confidence will matter more on the test day.

Flyinghamster, I'm sorry you didn't get called for the interviews being an engineer too myself. You most likely didn't read KQ's second advert calling on applicants to edit their KCSE details. Most eligible people missed out due to this small process. I'm sure KQ will require more trainees again next year and a chance will pop up for you again.

alpha-b
18th May 2009, 22:34
I agree 100% with HumpmeDumpme

aspiringpilot
19th May 2009, 08:47
flying_hamster - Degrees do not matter, only your high school grades (KCSE) were considered. Everyone who got B+ and above in Math, English and Physics and an aggregate of B+ and above as well was invited. Thats why there were 300 people during the first interview. Remember the maximum age is 25. If you meet all the above requirements, try calling them to find out what the problem with your application is.

wanabeeCapt - Good Luck!!!!

flying_hamster
19th May 2009, 21:02
hey..

I got straight A-s in Maths and English, and B in physics..

however, i didnt do my KCSE..i had opted for the GCE..my mean grade was B, however..

you guys think that might have made a difference?

shoot, i missed on the updating of the results. i decided to pursue a masters degree since, to buy some time before applying..i called the HR department at KQ, and was lucky to get through to a nice guy, who told me that my results were apparently not attached when my application was sent for consideration, and apparently this has happened to alot of people..not sure why they'd do that though?

*ponders*

I'm still wondering though, why my online application says "active application"..any clue on that? seeing that i'm away from home at the moment, i sent them emails, but no reply..

any other means to get through to them?

on the other hand, anyone know when the next recruitment drive is going to happen?

i really want to fly for the national carrier..i would be such a sense of pride for me!

alternatively, i've looked at acquiring a CPL privately..i may have been misjudged, but Flight Training Adelaide is actually reasonably cheap compared to Kenyan Aviation schools, plus, the license is recognised in many more countries..so, hopefully, KQ can step in after i've completed my PPL somewhere, seeing as they have advertised for posts for PPL holders on their careers website..

wanabeeCapt
19th May 2009, 21:26
The psychomotor today wasn't that easy except for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th parts. What are the passmarks required?

wanabeeCapt
19th May 2009, 21:45
Flyinghamster, you've actually pinpointed the error you made in your application. The update they asked applicants to make was actually the attachment of specific grades. Regardless, I doubt you'd have gone through to the aptitude since you had a B in physics yet a B+ minimum was needed. A buddy of mine suffered that fate. But indeed, kq have advertised for direct entry pilots though I remember them asking for a CPL prerequisite not PPL. I could be wrong but its worth checking out.

flying_hamster
19th May 2009, 22:02
@ wannabeecapt

*ponders*

was the attachment meant to be done online? because i cannot seem to locate where to attach..
yes, you are right, it says CPL..my bad..

however, anyone got any direct contacts or email IDs where i can ask why my application online says "active"?

im asking this because maybe my application has been sidelined for the second batch/next intake?

*ponders*

wanabeeCapt
19th May 2009, 22:28
The reason your application is still flagged as active is because the kq hr team is poor at doing post-application cleanups. All through the interview process, they'd promised to send feedback to both successful and failed applicants. Upto this moment some are still waiting to be told if they'd passed their psychometric. I'd advise you to simply withdraw your application...none of your previous information will remain in their database then subsequently, create a new one. They do not batch previous applications so everything will have to be from scratch. The update they asked guys to put was not an attachment per say...it was an extra tab they added to applicants profiles for them to fill in their grades. Sadly I have no direct links to anyone who could be of assistance to you directly at the hr dept.

bond7
19th May 2009, 23:36
definately?!

WanabeeCapt. Correction...It's definitely. :)

Overlooking small details may cost you that right seat.

aspiringpilot
20th May 2009, 06:52
The psychomotor test was the PILAPT test, exactly the same as the one humpmedumpme posted

About MAS Psychomotor Test | Fly Damnit (http://www.flydamnit.com/2006/06/26/about-mas-psychomotor-test/)

wanabeeCapt - The first one was fairly ok for me but the last one was horrible. :( Hopefully we did enough to get through to the next stage.

flying_hamster - KQ HQ telephone numbers
Tel: + 254-(0)20-6422000
Safaricom: +254-0711-02-2000
Zain: +254-0734-10-2000

wanabeeCapt
20th May 2009, 08:32
Lol! Definitely noted. Notwithstanding though, I must point out that English is my second language. Aspiringpilot, we might just hack it who knows. Its now in kq's hands.

flying_hamster
20th May 2009, 09:00
@ wannabecapt

thanks for the insight, i'll be sure to keep an eye out for more ab-initio drives then..not going to give up working for the national airline..always give a tingle just the thought of representing your country by doing what i'd die for: flying :)

the little tab for the results, i filled that in, it was under "academic qualifications", if im not mistaken, and they asked to put in grades for ALL subjects taken at secondary school..still have that tab up and running..guess i'll just withdraw my application, and create a new profile for future openings as such..

*ponders*

@aspiring pilot

Thanks a ton for the numbers, maybe i can ring up and see what they have to say..

wanabeeCapt
20th May 2009, 10:18
@flyinghamster, sorry I may have sounded like a wet blanket back there regarding your physics grades. I actually have no idea what score they need for gce grades having assumed it being the same as kcse. You're right, just call them with the contacts you've been given. They're in the best position to advise you on the matter. With that flying psyche you have you will come through soon enough. That said, this was the 3rd time I'd applied for the ab initio recruitment but the 1st time to be invited for the interviews. In essence never give up on your dream. All the best.

atpcliff
20th May 2009, 17:23
Hi!

ALL the ab-initio programs do this, including military, government, and industry-type jobs. I did it to get into the US Air Force. I understand if you don't want to submit to this type of program.

It makes sense for KA to do it, as they will be spending HUGE amounts of money on each cadet, and they want to ensure their success. Most of the European and Asian carriers have similar programs, but much of the actual flight training is done in the US for their programs.

My buddy was just talking to a Kenya CAA guy, and he said that most of the aviation companies in Kenya, including KA, are very short of pilots. He also said that to get on at KA, even though they're short, you need to know the right people.

Today, as we were taxiing in at NBO, it looked like KA City! They were everywhere! I didn't realize, until I came to NBO, how big KA is. I hope they do really well.

One problem for KA, and Kenya aviation in general, is that Jomo is getting WAY too small for the amount of traffic that wants to fly in. The 4 new cargo spots on the Foxtrot Ramp, will ALREADY not be enough, and they aren't even scheduled to be completed until the end of the year-too late!!!

flying_hamster
21st May 2009, 04:20
Guys, I see that this thread has people who know how the Kenyan Aviation Scene is, so i thought it best to ask here..

Since my application was turned down for the Ab-initio programme, i have looked into various other options, including a school in Adelaide.

The cost for CPL is fairly reasonable (seeing it includes accommodation too!) and is adding up to roughly about the same as in Nairobi, perhaps even cheaper.

The license issued is certified by the CASA (Australian flight authorities)

any idea what my next steps would be after obtaining my CPL there?

i'm assuming i'll have do undergo license conversion, but say I apply for a job in KQ, will then assist with the conversion programme, or train me further in line with KQ's specifications?

bond7
22nd May 2009, 05:21
WanabeeCapt...it's my second language too ndungu...don't make it an excuse...you're gonna need it...and those guyz in ATC...sure won't give a crap if it wasn't. I hope you don't say that to your examiner or that may call for it.

Good luck bro! :ok:

wanabeeCapt
24th May 2009, 14:01
@bond7, clearly it wasn't an excuse otherwise I wouldn't have said..."notwithstanding..." @flyingzombie, its not over. I went through some foreign forum and guys who'd done a similar psychomotor had scores of 1/10, 1/10, 1/10 in the first section and something like 2/10, 2/10, 3/10 in the last. And believe it or not, they went through. I think what they're looking for are scores of improvement. I felt equally dismayed myself after the test.

wanabeeCapt
25th May 2009, 08:01
I made it!!! Best news of my life. The oral interview is this Wednesday.

aspiringpilot
25th May 2009, 11:57
wanabeeCapt - Hongera! :D

I haven't heard from them yet. :( Did they email or call you?

wanabeeCapt
25th May 2009, 12:42
Thanks alot, aspiringpilot. They sent me the confirmation email at exactly 9.30am. I read it 2 minutes later. Keep checking, buddy. I have a feeling you're also in. We've come this far.

FlyingZombie
25th May 2009, 15:23
They havent said anything to me:{:sad:

wanabeeCapt
25th May 2009, 15:48
@Flyingzombie, aspiringpilot, I insist....call them. You have nothing to lose. You might be on the second batch. Make the call.

bond7
25th May 2009, 22:45
@ wanabeeCapt...:hmm:...you lost me. Anyway...

Congrats WanabeeCapt! :ok:

It shouldn't be challenging from here other than the Instrument rating!

FlyingZombie
26th May 2009, 05:28
I thought the mzungu guy said they would communicate with us whether one was in or not. Its not fair just shutting up like that.:bored:

wanabeeCapt
26th May 2009, 06:02
@bond7, it matters less right now but anyway thanks alot. I'm quite ecstatic! Do you have your CPL already by the way? @flyingzombie, yep you're right, kq have broken their word many times on that issue. Take heart, it isn't over.

5Z4
26th May 2009, 17:06
to say...

Starters these days meet different attitudes than you did years ago...

atpcliff
26th May 2009, 20:10
Hi!

It's a lot easier to get your Kenya licenses, especially if U can live at home and save on that cost.

I know someone who just converted. THey had a TON of experience, and it still was difficult for them. I don't know, but would assume that KA would prefer local pilot licenses. I heard from the locals that you have to know the right people to get in at KA.

Good luck!

cliff
NBO

chetekei
27th May 2009, 03:58
Congratulations to those who made it. Is anyone on this forum among the 10 or so from the last group that did their Psychometric Tests last week? 'Tail End' is the term she referred to us with.

FlyingZombie
27th May 2009, 05:15
For those who didnt make it, dont give up. Something better will come along. Best of luck to those who will make it to the end.

aspiringpilot
27th May 2009, 06:32
I got a regret letter from KQ today. :( Win some, lose some. All the best to those who made it, you deserve it. :D For those who didn't make it, see you there next year. :)

chitor
27th May 2009, 18:52
I was among the 9 'Tail End' interviewees. I'm not sure how I did it but thank God I'm through:). The e-mail arrived 9 hours ago.

Next stage PilApt on 3rd June.

FlyingZombie
27th May 2009, 20:43
Imagine this, i didnt even get a regret letter. Someone must really hate me. Or im just invisible. And by next year, i'll be too old to qualify to apply again aspiringpilot. This is the end of this road for me. But better luck next time to those planning on applying again.

One question though, what is this tail end u guys r talking about?

bond7
27th May 2009, 23:59
WanabeeCapt...I do've my CPL!
...you think KQ, has anything for me?

wanabeeCapt
28th May 2009, 01:12
We attended the oral interviews today. We were down to a mere 13. We had 15 minutes each in front of a panel consisting of the Chief Pilot, the Fleet Manager and the HR head. They never introduced themselves but from what I hear, that was the usual panel.

It was a queer interview so to speak. First I was greeted warmly and asked to sit. Then the HR head(a lady) gave me a form and asked me to fill it even as the questions started flying. It was a sort of a multi-tasking, dual-response kind of test because at any point that I would stop writing to answer a question, she would insist that I continue filling the form.

You might be wondering what the form contained...the usual actually. Your full names, date of birth, postal address, level of study, results etc. The hard part was actually filling in accurate information as you explain why you want to be a pilot etc. The questions themselves were not too hard. It was more of a get-to-know-you interview whilst scribbling on the annoying form thing.

But one thing was clear, everything filled in the form as your mind was preoccupied with processing the captains' questions and formulating the appropriate answers would undoubtedly be the brutal truth. Thank goodness I didn't lie in my CV otherwise the annoying form would have spoken volumes.

@bond7, luck is on your side. KQ recently put up an advert for the Direct Pilot Entry Recruitment. And you guessed right, a CPL is is a prerequisite among other qualifications. Take a look at this link.

http://career.kenya-airways.com/careers/

@flyingzombie and aspiringpilot, that is very modest from the both of you. Do not give up on your career
dreams in the meantime.

@chitor and chetekei, do fill us in on the "tail end" mystery. When did you guys do your aptitudes and medical?

chitor
28th May 2009, 08:11
Congrats wanabeeCapt. Hope I get there some day.

I did the KAFTEC aptitude on 14th April and the psychometric test on 18th May. This was, as we were told by the interviewer, almost 3 weeks after the rest of the group had done the same test. She actually termed us the 'Tail-End' of the group hence the Tail-End Mystery. And we were only 9 and the conditions were great (tea/coffee/juice/... in a cool boardroom and everything). I wonder how many of us got through.

We haven't done any medical tests yet so I suppose successful candidates will do it after the Pilapt.

wanabeeCapt
28th May 2009, 11:58
Thank you, chitor but the struggle isn't over yet though. I've heard of numerous cases of interviewees being dropped after the oral interview. One thing I must point out, if you really are looking forward to a piloting career, you best take the psychomotor with utmost importance it deserves. I can't stress this point any clearer. Get microsoft flight sim, buy a joystick and practise with the settings at the most sensitive. I was lucky enough to pass this stage having never played any flight sim game. Though I'm still curious. Why were the rest of you delayed after the aptitude? Did they give you any reasons for that?

captain-slim
28th May 2009, 20:01
i don know wetha u realy read the post right coz i dont see how u would term all that as intrusive coz am sure IF (IF) u are a pilot ryt now, u did go thru tests ryt from gettin an SPL to wherever u r ryt now. its all normal to go thru such tests. rily dont c y u shud term it the way u did.:=

bond7
29th May 2009, 00:45
@ wanabeeCapt...thank you...l'll look it up...and once again congrats brother...I've a feeling you will go a long way. Welcome aboard the world of aviation my brother...lemme know if you're on facebook please...

Goodluck and Godspeed! :ok:

wanabeeCapt
29th May 2009, 01:16
Thanks a lot for the good fortune bond7 :). I intend to go all the way if given the chance. For now, I wait with bated breathe.

chetekei
29th May 2009, 05:21
Congratulations wanabeeCapt. I hope for the same luck with the Tail-Enders on Wednesday. Chitor, any idea how many of us made it?

chitor
29th May 2009, 11:30
Hey chetekei, I now know of three. You, another buddy of mine and myself. I won't be supprised if all of us made it through. We'll be making quite a tight group.

See you then.

rigs
29th May 2009, 13:38
hy guys, interesting thread you have going on, firstly is i fail to understand where the discussion bout your grades was taking you. i think KQ's recruitment process is seriously flawed by corruption and the wrong recruitment process, as much as high grades are important; they cannot be used as a benchmark of choosing a potential pilot. flying is an art, once youre given the first few lesssons it flows in your bloodstream and for some it doesnt whether an A student of D.

Kujuana or who knows who is the biggest channel leading you to a job, i have friend who was recently told to cash in one mill to get a sure slot in the program..guys there is much than what meets the eye.i believe KQ is largest outfit we have in kenya but not the best, you dont train to be a pilot to work in KQ, you do that to fly planes and as long as you enjoy thats it!!!!

so you guys out there who have made it, thats a great opportunity, for the ones who hit a dead end DONT STOP TRYING...

"IM STILL LEARNING THE ART OF TRIMMING"

atpcliff
29th May 2009, 15:42
Hi!

Flying is an art.

Getting through an airline training program is just like getting through physics class, however.

If U want to fly for BA, or Kenya Airways, or JAL, or DAL, you need to be able to make it through their training program.

That is one reason why some pilots don't like the big airlines. They don't want to sit their in a classroom for hours and hours, reading and taking tests.

cliff
NBO

Technocraft
30th May 2009, 13:45
Hi guys,:ok:
Am also one of the few who made it to the oral interview stage, i went for it on 27th and i want to admit it wasnt any good for me in there.:mad: I still have hopes though and can someone please assure me that this whole process is going to be hongo-proof, coz thats the only reason that can throw me out!:=

captain-slim
30th May 2009, 13:58
Hahaha. one thing we all hope is that if they don hav to chuck any mo peeps from the supozed 13 that r left. It daent seem to av gon gud fo any of the ones iv heard from so far.... N they decided mek the weekend too long! Don know wen we'l get to know how we did!

wanabeeCapt
30th May 2009, 14:57
I agree with you guys. It wasn't a rosy affair in front of the panel. At some point the three panelists would look at each other laughing sarcastically at one's answers. But I guess it was just a mind-game thing testing your nerves and all. Anyway technocraft and captainslim, congrats for the far you've reached. It would be tortourous to go out at this stage, thats for sure..God forbid it though.

chetekei
30th May 2009, 19:22
Does anyone know how many people they want? Any idea how many were taken last time? And one last thing to the non-'Tail Enders', which one was first, the medical or the PilApt.

captain-slim
30th May 2009, 19:33
I know this b a rumor ples but such allegetions cud get peeps in trouble so id sugest nt unles deaz any proof.... Wudnt b too cool tryna bite d same hand tryna feed ya.... I too wud gt mad if dont go thru bt such claims.... Nt d way out

captain-slim
30th May 2009, 19:38
@chet, how many they want remains a mistery.... No 1 seems to know... N d other Q... The medical came 1st then d pilapt. Finaly the oral. ya'll tail enders brace urselvz.... Its a bumpy ryd....

wanabeeCapt
30th May 2009, 22:08
@captainslim, lets look at the bigger picture here, personal ambitions aside. Like we've said, IF the allegations are true, then obviously the whole process is flawed. And for an industry where safety and security are of paramount importance, that's one big loophole blown open. How would you risk the lives of hundreds other people by recruiting unqualified personell? And how would your conscience handle such a situation knowing that you didn't want to 'bite the hand that fed you'? Kissing butt is one thing but putting peoples lives at risk is a different one all together.

bond7
31st May 2009, 01:31
@ Captain-Slim...I would first worry about my grammer before looking at the bigger picture...it's the small things...overlook it anyway you want...but remember, not everyone can understand your texting lingo. Am sure you didn't fill out your questionnaire using your texting lingo?!?...bwana, please brush up a lil bit...it's a professional forum.

captain-slim
31st May 2009, 06:20
@wannabe, do u by any chance know anyone there? Because i dont and i believe i have got this far jus by the grace of God. Thats why when someone else suggests that its flawed, you should remember they are as well trying to say that possibly, you got where you are by some shady means. Lets not try to play hero over claims that are baseles. I am not trying to kiss any butt and whether or not i make it through, i do think they gave each one of us an almost good enough playing field. N jus a reminder, no one is qualified at the moment, we are yet to go through the training. And another thing, they are not bound to follow any process in selecting candidates for this program because i even hear that emirates gave priority first to people who have ties working there.
@bond... My grammer is ok, just a casualty of frequent texting. Sierra Oscar Romeo Romeo Yankee

chetekei
31st May 2009, 07:24
Well said Captain-Slim. It's not the first time I've heard the said allegations. It's more of a sore loser's cry in my ears most of the time. I can't hack any kickbacks so, for my own sake, I'll keep holding to the hope I'll get through on merit. I know a few people who have made it. They are brilliant as well as intelligent and I would be a right hypocrite to doubt that they fully deserved the opportunity.

captain-slim
31st May 2009, 07:40
one thing we all agree on is that since we have got this far.... lets just pray they spare us in the orals and just take all of us. that wouldn't hurt to much. ama vipi wannabe?? that way its a win win. :)

@chet... do hope all goes well for you as well. i think as for those who did the orals already... our fate might be known on tuesday.

wanabeeCapt
31st May 2009, 09:46
@captain-slim, I appreciate your optimism. But let not our naiveity blind us. Like I said before, this isn't the first time I'm applying for the ab initio recruitment. In fact last time it happened, a close buddy was lucky enough to go the whole way and I followed his progress religiously. Unfortunately I never got a reply or regret to my application. But my pal made it to the final 12 who attended the orals. Such was his optimism after the last interview that he started bidding farewell to family and friends only for him to suffer a shocker. Six of them were to be sent regrets. The remaining six were joined by a new batch of six who had never yet appeared even once all through the interview process and were all flown together for training. Well, I guess for you to really understand what he felt, the same would have to happen to you.

captain-slim
31st May 2009, 10:11
I haven't bid farewel to anyone. If it happens to me, it would be for a reason. I am optimistic that whether or not i make it through, it doesn't have to be the end of my intentions to become a pilot. I applied for the program because i knew it would be a catalyst to my dream of having such an 'office' but yet again, i aint puttin my life on the line to get through. In other words, even if i dont go through, i will struggle the long way workin to pay for flying school.
I jus comented on the rumors coz peeps r jus blowin it all outta proportion for notin. I have not verified this but do u know that enirates this year also had such a program and those given priority were children of current workers.... its all in policies. If kq decide they will take 6 from the public and 6 others from relatives of workers, who are we to judge? They could as well scrap the whole thing off and there is very little we could do about it. I jus hope u understand that what am tryin to say is that we shouldn't bank on it as though our lives depend on it (mayb it does but some things we jus av no control over)....
Lets jus take it easy, if we meant to get through, we will. N if not, mayb its for a reason. AND NO, am not confident or anything, just prepared for either outcome, as a wannabe, try the same, u go up there not sure of any. have a blessed sunday

wanabeeCapt
1st Jun 2009, 23:48
I hear you, but what I'm trying to point out is that the process should be transparent. If indeed they have policies to take employees siblings first, then they should let them be known. Otherwise it would be a breach of corporate law not to do so. In addition, there's the consequence of putting potential trainees through psychological trauma to deal with. All in all, all the best for tomorrows announcement. Brace yourself captain-slim.

chetekei
2nd Jun 2009, 16:11
I know it's late but I've just got this. Give it a try if you can.
IPAS (http://www.nitex.nl/projects/ipas2/application.php?lf=direct)

Technocraft
3rd Jun 2009, 15:35
Hi guys,
I hope you are still enjoying your long weekends. This is to inform you that my mental tension Index has just hit an all-time high and as if to make matters worse, it's still soaring higher and higher; and that will continue to be as long as those guys up there continue keeping us in suspense (if at all it's what they want to achieve). It is also with deep sorrow that I announce here that my entire central nervous system has just switched off and does not want to think about anythign else other than what it is thinking of and this is the time that i wished most that I was the pastor's neighbour so that we could be praying together all night long!
Look guys, this is the situation of somebody who is not just ready to accept any other result, and i sincerely wish him te best.
See u guys.
Yours faithfully,
Formertaxcollector.

wanabeeCapt
3rd Jun 2009, 15:37
KQ are taking too long to make the announcement. Have any of you heard anything from them yet?

captain-slim
3rd Jun 2009, 16:07
Thanx for the breather coz for a moment i thot i was the only one this tensed. But i ges they'v managed get us to our last breath. But atleast i managed get my head ocupied today unlike yesterday. I think i was operatin my email ad ol day jana! I dont know when they wanna tel us but if not soon... They wil be taking a bunch of mentally disturbed cadets... Lmao.

Capt...giddy
3rd Jun 2009, 18:38
Hey guyz, thanxxx 4 giving me hope, i thought i was the only one chilling for that mail....think i can win a yahoo award for being the most frequent user...anyway, i have had so many cases of the KQ guyz not replyin n jst livin' sme guyz in suspense without sendin a regret....this so damn unfair, am stl not sure yet wether to pay my fees for 2nd yr for aeronautical engineerin' or not coz of this guyz....stl hopin for the best though.., if any of ya'll hear from them, halla so tht sme of us wont hav to wait for ages n jst move on. All the best guyz!!!

captain-slim
3rd Jun 2009, 19:11
Wel... I think iv talked to a total of 5peeps so unles we all the unluky ones... I think they havent responded yet. But yet again, if any of u gets to hear any, let the rest of us know coz wah... I think its best to know, gud o bad!

chetekei
3rd Jun 2009, 19:40
Thanks for KickStarting the thread. The number of times I've refreshed today hoping to see something new is crazy. However, I wish I was refreshing my email inbox.
Tail-Enders and Direct Entries, any comments on the PilApt today?

wanabeeCapt
3rd Jun 2009, 21:03
A buddy of mine also waiting for kq to respond described the anxiety as worse than waiting for his VCT results.

Knowing that we all haven't been contacted, we should take it a little easy. I was worse off on Tuesday as well but I had to get myself busy with tasks today. I would recommend the same for the rest of you.

Besides, we aren't too sure that tomorrow is the d-day. In my opinion, KQ might be trying to merge the two groups. And bearing in mind that the tail-enders have just done their psychomotor tests, we might be in for a longer wait. Maybe even much longer if they are to do their orals first.

Fellows, relax. We will make it. :ok:

papawhiskey
3rd Jun 2009, 21:48
pple..Heard that Kq is hiring pilots who have already trained.
could someone please assist by telling me where to send the cv at!Maybe can help me with the email or something of assistance to send the details at.Will highly appreciate it:O
And how long does it take to convert to a kcaa licence if one has a foreign licence?
And when does the direct entry application close?
And and and....

And for all the aspiring pilots,wish u all the best as the list is chosen for the ab initio trainees.:ok:The road ahead is tough,but focus and patience pays!;)

Technocraft
4th Jun 2009, 07:39
Kenya Airways: The Pride of Africa (http://career.kenya-airways.com/careers/) I hope that has helped @papawhiskey.
Waah, time haisongi; an hour sonds like a whole day!

lakini Goodl luck ye'all

chitor
4th Jun 2009, 08:15
Being one of the Tail-Enders, I must say that I felt that I did 90% of the PilApt wrongly. We are to know today how we fared.

This is mega cool! The tension here is palpable.:}:ok:

wanabeeCapt
4th Jun 2009, 11:17
Papawhisky, check this link.

Kenya Airways: The Pride of Africa (http://career.kenya-airways.com/careers/)

captain-slim
4th Jun 2009, 11:22
:confused::confused:2techno... time inafaa kusonga to what time?? you got info that i dont know.... coz seriously... WHEN are they tellin us anything??:{
am simply BORED

Technocraft
4th Jun 2009, 13:43
....:captain-slim i never meant that i know when the result of the interview is to be know (afterol who am i t kno?) i was just expressing my anxiety in public. However if it's according to wannabe's assumption that we r likely b told after the tail-enders are thru with their stuff, then we neeed to kno 4rm them when theyll be going 4 their orals in order to gauge an appropriate date. @chetekei kazi kwako!
Right now am taking my cool after reading a few insiprational quotes from this link, Motivational and Inspirational Quotes (http://www.inspirational-quotes.info/) my favourite pick being
"Impatience never commanded success."
Edwin H. Chapin

wanabeeCapt
4th Jun 2009, 14:00
Halleluyah!! Halleluyah!! I'm In!!

Capt...giddy
4th Jun 2009, 14:31
Hey guyz KQ finally decided to halla and am in....gud luck 2 all ya'll who haven't been contacted

captain-slim
4th Jun 2009, 15:19
Sam1 pliz confirm to me that by them callin it means we in n no mo suspense??? Pliz! Either way... God IS great! Just gettin that call was enough

Technocraft
4th Jun 2009, 15:31
i also have the call.

Capt...giddy
4th Jun 2009, 15:47
Hey slim n wanabee......do ya'll got ua certificate of good conduct??? And yeah, the call means ua in, coz if u check ua account for KQ u can see tht its been activated n tellin us guyz 'welcome aboard'..so i ges so. Bwt the good conduct???? Mine aint ready yet, so i aint sua if they gona boot me 4 tht..lol

chetekei
4th Jun 2009, 16:16
Congratulations to all of you who made it.

captain-slim
4th Jun 2009, 16:22
activated how? am at d kq account thing n not sure exactly what you mean. still the same "active application"....:confused:
n ya... not yet with the good conduct. but since they hadn't asked for it before, lets hope they will give us time.

Capt...giddy
4th Jun 2009, 16:24
Hey guyz, for those of u who were called leo, how many dont hav a certificate of good conduct??? And how urgent is it???

papawhiskey
4th Jun 2009, 19:21
Hey pple! Congratulations to all who made it!!Great job.
Sasa,i need help cause that kq site is ok,but the recruitment portal page is not opening up and that is where i need to sign in so as to post the resume or domcuments wateva..
So pls any1 with mo clues pls help and shukran to all who shared the site with me.
the clock is ticking and i would not like to be shut out..
Again congrats to all who made it!

captain-slim
4th Jun 2009, 20:02
hey, not sure if this wil be of help. its just the same thing peeps been telling you. just go to Kenya Airways: The Pride of Africa (http://career.kenya-airways.com/careers/) then select "go to jobs portal and sign up first. i dont think there is another way of doing it. good luck

wanabeeCapt
4th Jun 2009, 21:11
For those still doubting the 'call' believe it. Thats all the confirmation you need. KQ hardly hustles to make a regret call(or a courtesy call for that matter). You're now officially a cadet. Just make sure you get your documents in order. For those without passports, I know a section in immigration that processes them in 3 days. As for the certs of good conduct, it might take upto two weeks at most or as little as 3 days. The main hindrance is the volume of humanity at the CID headquarters also looking for the same document. Congrats to all finalists! @captainslim, forget the application status. You ARE in.

wanabeeCapt
4th Jun 2009, 21:16
@captaingiddy, it is most urgent. Do not drag your feet.

Ogeinc
4th Jun 2009, 22:26
hey guys,sorry for spoiling the party here.But can all of us just be honest enough about corruption in kq???lives are at stake here!!!we have people being escorted there by "prominent kenyans".is this the kenya we wish to live in???i think it is very important for investigations to take place.Having reports from unrelated sources all suggesting a flawed process is terrifying to say the least.

papawhiskey
4th Jun 2009, 23:29
Hey Ogeida..hope i got that rite.:ok:it is so so sad to see others being escrtd by the prominent kenyans and the elite in the society while others work tooth and nail to make it happen big for them.
But thing is we just have to be optimistic and pray for the best outcome...i would love to work for the company,its jus exciting to know that you are representing your country by doing what you love best..Kq is definetly a respected company
And maybe for the pple who are being corrupt,prepare to working hard for the left seat,and make some good aeronautical decision making in a split second,otherwise you will hit a dead wall :ugh: :sad:
But pple we all have to be hopeful and optimistic for a better Kq and a greater 1.
Cant wait for kq to get its first B747-400:)
Onto my issues,the kq site has totally refused to open the recruitment page.well,i will keep on trying :rolleyes:

wanabeeCapt
5th Jun 2009, 22:51
Ogeinc, you want honesty about corruption in kq? I'll give you honesty. I got into the ab initio recruitment not knowing a single soul there.

I've heard claims from left, right and centre about the alleged misdeeds. So much that I got paranoid midway and feared I'd end up being a victim(read the whole thread to follow what I mean)

Although I cannot discount the claims, neither can I verify them. Bottomline is, I got in fair and square.

In other words, if you want to be a pilot badly enough, you will swim through all kinds of murk to get to your CPL.

papawhiskey, I'm sure you mean you're looking forward to KQ getting their first B787-8 dreamliner in 2010. The B747-400 went out of production so long ago.

wanabeeCapt
6th Jun 2009, 11:16
All who missed out in the first ab initio recruitment in Dec would be glad to know KQ have readvertised for the same. The catch this time is, applicants have less than two weeks to meet the application deadline. 19th June 2009 is the closing date. Good luck people! :ok:

Capt. Wilco
7th Jun 2009, 13:26
Belated congratulations to all who made it through the orals.Anyone with an idea about the deadline for submitting good conduct and passports?What next after that?

wanabeeCapt
8th Jun 2009, 03:18
Thats how KQ operates apparently. All you need to do is get your documents ready as quickly as possible then they'll inform you on your itinerary soon enough. I'm heading to CID hq in a few minutes myself. By the way, I was saddened to hear that not everyone made it through the orals. I talked to one unlucky fellow who got a regret call same time we got ours. Count yourselves lucky!

Technocraft
8th Jun 2009, 13:00
Too bad to hear some had to chuckd out after the orals, wish them the best ahead!
Alafu guys that person who called me told me to get my cert of good conduct and "let him know" on wednesday. I presume that meant i should call, and i advice all of u to call there imediately u get urs. Av just been to the CID hqs this morning but too bad those guys refused to assure me that i can get mine by wednesday. "2 weeks" ndio kila mtu alikuwa ananiambia. Anybody who knows a shortcut to this?

F.O ted
8th Jun 2009, 20:23
Hey guys,firstly I would like to congratulate all you who have made it through...my name is ted and i went through the process..am now busy handling the 737.Must say am quite impressed with you guys,keep this blog going...hey i bet i know more about what you should expect ahead so incase
Of anything you can always ask,cheers.

wanabeeCapt
8th Jun 2009, 21:50
Technocraft, you should know better. You were lucky enough to be given a timeline and you still went gambling by going it alone? Get someone tomorrow be it a cop, a contact, just anyone who can link you directly with someone at CID hq. I'm picking my cert of good conduct tomorrow even though I applied for it today but I had to hustle hard to get someone. Don't rest on your laurels, not now.

F.O Ted, great to have you on board. You leave us green with envy. You're already doing the 737? Good stuff! :D The million dollar question I'm sure is on everyones mind is, when do we leave? Also what's the timeline on our hands and what's the grace-period for getting ones documents in order?

Technocraft
9th Jun 2009, 07:30
Thanx all who showed concern for my case. i found somebody and am going to collect my gud conuct NOW!

chetekei
9th Jun 2009, 09:01
Hi. Any tail-enders here invited for the medical tomorrow? I've just seen the email.

captain-slim
9th Jun 2009, 13:46
Hey peeps. thank God iv got the certy. I was told we are to take a copy of the certy and passport to them once we get. Will any1 ask them wats next after that???

papawhiskey
9th Jun 2009, 16:12
Thanx pple for all the help,i finally realized my server was the issue.so used another server and i got in to the site.Thanx capt giddy and every1 else.@ Ogeida,i am trying to apply for the direct entry programme,i think which closes in october or somethn like that..
Wannabe capt,i even doubt the 787 will be delivered in 2010..with all these delays in seattle...hope for fast delivery..
But thanx guys.

wanabeeCapt
10th Jun 2009, 22:54
It's official. We're leaving on the 27th this month. That's directly from (Capt?) Joseph Opere.

F.O ted
11th Jun 2009, 13:01
Hey i gues you guys are going to progress...it is a good school,though i hear of late it has gotten crappy.whoever needs the number for the person in charge of cadets,its-0733899425-he is called capt.opere,hope its of help.

wanabeeCapt
11th Jun 2009, 23:24
No we ain't going to progress, it's actually 43 flight school.

flying_hamster
12th Jun 2009, 05:06
Hey guys!
for starts, congratulations on getting through!
hopefully someday, i too will be flying with you guys for the pride of my country!

I just wanted to add, I re-applied for the position, as they sent out an ad in print media, saying the deadline is now shifted to 19th June (next friday)

Ted, you might be able to highlight something for me?
i am currently pursuing my masters degree in international business management, and have completed my undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering.

In high school, i opted for the LONDON GCE's, and completed my O'Levels with an A in English, Pure Maths and Maths, and a B in physics. I also did my A'Levels, with B in Maths and Physics.

Im not sure how the process at KQ works, but the last time i applied, i still haven't received any communication from them. I do however, have a confirmation from the website saying i've successfully completed the "tests" and completed my application.

Any clue what my chances are for getting into the cadet scheme?

not to add insult to anyone, but could it be based on my name that i have been unsuccessful the previous two times? i am of Indian origin.

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Jun 2009, 06:27
It appears literacy is not a factor either.

Capt...giddy
12th Jun 2009, 08:33
No wonder some people are Rust. ... Hey Wanabee, thanks for reminding me that this is a professional forum,..pamoja....by the way, did you get your passport?? And did you take your documents to the captain already?

flying_hamster
12th Jun 2009, 08:45
@ wannabecapt: cheers man! your responses have been the most accurate and most inspirational so far! the only problem is, with GCSE, we dont have B+ grades etc..we have just A's, B's, C's..etc..so, not sure if my B in physics will affect my application? i really hope not! flying is the only thing i can see myself doing, and that too with KQ..brilliant!

@Capt Giddy: I was just wondering about that, but I really hope its not an issue..its always consoling to hear that as kenyans, we're moving to a more open-minded and progressive future!

I really hope to meet all you guys someday, and maybe we'll even be flying the same plane! who knows..i'm just playing the waiting game now, and I really hope i get it this time!

any clue how long they take before a preliminary answer is given? i'm in Malaysia at the moment, stuck here till september doing my dissertation research.. :(

wanabeeCapt
12th Jun 2009, 16:39
@giddy, yep brother. Everything is in order, thanks for the concern. I dropped all required documents at Opere's office. He wasn't in but one Capt. Patel *hint, hint, flyinghamster* received them on his behalf. Thanks for that flyinghamster but I feel that we are all here with a common goal i.e. to pursue a career in flying. That makes us comrades. I'm always willing to help out a comrade. Concerning your gce grades, as a matter of fact, you are qualified to apply. That I'm sure of. They clearly indicated a minimum of B for gce subjects. Just make sure to indicate the grades for the respective subjects. Our application deadline was 31st Dec 08. We attended our first interview around the 7th of April this year in that case expect an average timeline of 3 months before you attend your first. Go for it and all the best!

chetekei
12th Jun 2009, 16:39
How do you feel being told to get your documents in order without knowing if you passed or failed?

flying_hamster
13th Jun 2009, 02:32
@ wannabecapt

lol..i got the hint *slaps head* hehe

I too applied for the one with the december deadline, but to no avail..so, i just created a new application for this new deadline for the 19th of june..

*fingers crossed*

Worse case, I'll have to call them to find out whats happening..

when do you guys start training?

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Jun 2009, 05:25
You folks are going to be a real dream come true on the flight deck some day.:hmm:

This is a public forum, not a private cell phone. If you choose to communicate privately in that manner, all well and good. However it's hardly appropriate in a public forum and merely displays lack of courtesy to other forum users. I understand that is how modern youth communicate but it does not reflect well on those who choose to do so.

Quite frankly I used to hold KQ in high regard and would urge my company to book my flights with them in preference to other carriers. If this is the calibre of recruit they are now attracting perhaps it's time to avoid KQ in favour of more selective carriers.

Capt...giddy
13th Jun 2009, 05:51
Hey flying hamster, our group will be leaving for SA on the 27th, so probably trainning will commence from next month....and for those who applied for ab initio this time round have a higher chances to be taken in becauce very few people so the advertisment and again Kenya Airways are considering it highly urgent. Just be positive minded and consider yourself one of us and keep checking your e-mail from the 19th, during our time so many people missed out because they did not check their mails... Good luck and nice time all

wanabeeCapt
13th Jun 2009, 08:09
Chetekei, what do you mean? We've mentioned that the ones unsuccessful were given the regret calls. KQ wouldn't ask for your passports to decorate their walls. That said, when they ask you to get your documents ready, go ahead and pop bottles.

flying_hamster
13th Jun 2009, 09:01
@capt..giddy: thats some insight, but i never got any email from them, if they were really that desperate for future potential
*ponders*

i'm really really hoping i get the call this time round!

all the best to you guys! 27th! wow! i'm actually excited for all of you!

Lamyna Flo
13th Jun 2009, 11:09
You folks are going to be a real dream come true on the flight deck some day.

This is a public forum, not a private cell phone. If you choose to communicate privately in that manner, all well and good. However it's hardly appropriate in a public forum and merely displays lack of courtesy to other forum users. I understand that is how modern youth communicate but it does not reflect well on those who choose to do so.

SRT, you had the b@lls to write what I was thinking. The standard of communication on this thread is appalling. If this reflects on the calibre of students KQ are choosing to recruit - unable to converse effectively in English and entirely dependent on "TXTSpk" - god help them. I gave up on KQ after one too many "incidents" and a long conversation with one of their Capts on declining standards on the flight deck :uhoh:

The fact that, despite your post, the childish wittering continues unabated, says it all I think. Sad, but I would expect no less from a certain cross-section round here. The phrase "absolutely clueless" springs to mind...

Capt...giddy
13th Jun 2009, 13:32
I think am smelling some nasty haters in here.... It does not matter, since when did jealousy ever stop anyone any way!!

wanabeeCapt
13th Jun 2009, 13:48
I'm very surprised at this self-righteous, judgmental lot. We're indeed apologetic if some of us do not meet your absolute standards.

Oh ye perfect ones, thats the reason we're are human. We make mistakes but if corrected, strive to make ourselves better. It beats me where this rant is going.

Lamyna flo, you gave up on kq after "one too many incidents?" What exactly were they? Their benchmarks were too high? Is that the reason you can't stand the "childish witterring?" Sounds to me like you are one sad, bitter person. My piece of advice to you is, keep on trying. Pursue your kq dream. Excuses only serve to entrench you deeper in your awkward position.

I don't know what calibre of recruits rust is referring to. This lot made it through the first part of the ab initio recruitment without any help. Cut them some slack, they've acknowledged their inexperience in professional forums.

Jetdriver
13th Jun 2009, 13:59
A bit of help for some of you.

This forum is read by people all over the world, many of whom are professional pilots, or other professionals within the aviation industry.

Text speak may be handy when you are trying to send a message to your friends on a cell phone, when the keyboard can be awkward and you are paying for the service. On these forums that is not the case, and given the fact that a lot of people will be reading your posts, it is not unreasonable to make the post generally readable.

Similiarly it is not a chat forum. If you want to engage somebody in something only the two of you are likely to find interesting, then use the Private messaging facility which is also free. There you can write in whatever format you wish.

Lamyna Flo
13th Jun 2009, 16:11
My piece of advice to you is, keep on trying. Pursue your kq dream. Excuses only serve to entrench you deeper in your awkward position.

Sorry, but wrong. Nice try though. I don't need to make excuses or be "bitter" since I'm already pursuing my dream. Believe it or not, there are other, better airlines out there than KQ - thankfully not recruiting from the pool of some (not all) of the candidates posting here.

Lamyna Flo
13th Jun 2009, 16:15
I think am smelling some nasty haters in here.... It does not matter, since when did jealousy ever stop anyone any way!!

I see from your profile that you're a tender 19 years of age. When you grow up a bit, perhaps you'll realise that not all criticism stems from jealousy or bitterness, just from wisdom and experience :rolleyes:

3stripes
13th Jun 2009, 16:24
i think the people worried about language are sort of blowing this way out of proportion.'Txtspk' as they term it is not an indication of inadequacy in language but a tool for convinience when one wants to express their thoughts and opinions in a quick and timely manner through text.I suggest we all revert back to the substantive discussion that was going on before the little tussle.

Jetdriver
13th Jun 2009, 16:40
To repeat: Text speak may be handy when you are trying to send a message to your friends on a cell phone, when the keyboard can be awkward and you are paying for the service. On these forums that is not the case, and given the fact that a lot of people will be reading your posts, it is not unreasonable to make the post generally readable.

wanabeeCapt
13th Jun 2009, 16:59
If this reflects on the calibre of students KQ are choosing to recruit - unable to converse effectively in English and entirely dependent on "TXTSpk" - god help them.

Hardly sounds like positive criticism from one experienced and wise.:=

Capt...giddy
13th Jun 2009, 18:09
Old man mad that he is never going to be a better person than a 19 year old pilot??? Do not worry, you have few years left to live any way!

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Jun 2009, 19:17
Just what the airlines need - more petulant children.:hmm:

Technocraft
13th Jun 2009, 19:55
@wanabee and capt. giddy lets just keep this moderate and all partisan. We made it and that alone proves our abilities to excel in a demanding environment such as whats ahead of us at KQ. And anybody doubting the kind of selection procedures used by KQ, my advice is that you keep your patience and see how far this lot is going to take the company. Boys lets keep it this way; teamwork and professionalism including whatever we communicate on this forum.

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Jun 2009, 20:06
With that attitude you have a great career ahead of you, Technocraft. Good luck and give it your best.:ok:

wanabeeCapt
13th Jun 2009, 21:15
Easy now giddy. It's ok to point out your disagreements but lets not risk getting abusive in the process. Much as their criticisms are stinging, just maintain your cool.

@3stripes, yes the ab initio recruitment is clearly indicated. If you still do not see it, search for pilot in the jobs section.

3stripes
14th Jun 2009, 09:11
@wannabeCapt...thanks a lot.I will go check it out and let you know.

atco749
14th Jun 2009, 11:59
am really proud of ya'll who made it through....have been following the thread ever since you started it and i felt like i was personally involved in the journey.
some free advice....on this forum if someone posts something that ticks you off and aint part of the discussion just lenga them and continue your vibe!!... its just easier...
talk to you guys on the radio sometime soon...

safari njema down south...:ok:

wanabeeCapt
14th Jun 2009, 23:17
There goes freedom of speech.. Two members have been banned from pprune. I would urge patience on the moderators side.

Jetdriver
15th Jun 2009, 00:02
Urge away. If these people are incapable of heeding two written warnings and persist to a third, tough! Freedom of speech? Where?

These two were given 24 hours rest, in order that they might find the 5 vowels in the English language that will make their pearls of wisdom even shinier to the rest of the readership.

If you want to use text speak, then text each other. If you want to send private messages then use that function. If you want to post in a thread that the world can read and participate in, then use a language appropriate to the forum. Everyone else seems to have little trouble in this regard.

wanabeeCapt
15th Jun 2009, 01:46
:ouch: You are the Go.. er Mod.. :ouch:

flying_hamster
15th Jun 2009, 09:28
Hey guys,

I am getting a little bit excited, as you might have guessed..So, I dropped in my 3rd application to KQ, with the new deadline for the 19th of June.

I was wondering if I filled in the correct sections of the application, in that, I havent left anything out.

I've entered my national ID number under "special pass", and have indicated my degrees, and high school results of maths, english, and physics under 'additional qualifications"

did any of you guys fill anything else up? like the "preferences" tab, for example?

just to be on the sure side, the 4 tabs I can see under my application are:
1. Personal Information
2. Qualifications and Skills
3. Preferences
4. Login Information

It may sound as though I am a little bit insecure, but in all honesty, I am, because I feel maybe something was left out in my previous applications, and hence, no response from the HR department of KQ..

wanabeeCapt
15th Jun 2009, 09:54
You have all the right to feel insecure about your application. Strangely, it's this process that axes out many applicants, not the interviews. Last time, we were not asked for our i.d numbers but you've done exactly what I'd have done if asked for it. Good, you've filled in your math, english and physics grades. I hope you have also filled in your overall grade in an extra tab. Now just edit your preferences if need be and you're are good to go. Of course, i.e if you've already applied for the ab initio trainee vacancy.

3stripes
15th Jun 2009, 10:54
@flying hamster..,make sure that you've done the short test and specify that you have applied for the ab initio pilot trainee.....i have just submitted my application too....otherwise good luck man!!!

flying_hamster
15th Jun 2009, 11:41
hey guys,

yep, i've filled in the short test at the end as well. My email inbox has a confirmation of the "aptitude test" as they call it, and a confirmation saying my application has been received, and that they will revert back shortly..but, i've got the same two before too, so just trying to counter-check if my procedures for application have been in order this time round..

should i include all my subjects at o'level? or will the three required ones do? as for preferences, what should i include?

also, as i'm not in kenya at the moment, i've included my home telephone number, and a primary mobile one that i'm using currently..i should be back home towards the end of august, or mid-september at the latest..
so, just to ask, would they call to inform us that we've made the cut, or send us an email? guys who already went through the anxious stages, any feedback?

i get jitters each time i check this forum!
@3stripes and capt..giddy: All the best to you guys too!
i keep getting images of the day that i'll be called in for that interview!

Capt...giddy
15th Jun 2009, 12:13
Hi again flying hamster. Am part of the group which is heading down south on 27th, am not part of the new applicants. Anyway, the KQ HR usually send their feedbacks through e-mail, so am urging you to be checking your email as from the 19th. They only call during the last stages of the interview. Like for us they started calling after the 5th interview. So email it is.

flying_hamster
15th Jun 2009, 12:52
cheers capt..giddy!
all the best to you for the 27th! you must be really excited! have a mate who got through the same scheme for SIA..he was soooo excited too! and, made tons of friends during the course so far! so, i really wish the best for all of you for the 27th batch!

in the mean while, i'll keep checking my emails daily after the 19th (im doing that now too!)

any time frame to expect? how long did it take you guys before KQ replied after application deadline for the 31st of December?

jbayfan
15th Jun 2009, 14:50
Does anyone know when the next course is and where it will be held? Where is the one on the 27th going to be?

flying_hamster
15th Jun 2009, 15:24
hey there papawhiskey,
from what i read of the direct entry, its ongoing, you have to register with KQ, and once you've got your CPL and about 250hours, they'll give you a call back, or something along those lines..they are expressing interest now, and its put up on the careers portal, on the recruitment page:

its the first link before the link to the recruitment portal, which starts off with, "are you a kenyan pursuing.........."

Again, this is from what I have read, as I have applied for the ab-initio scheme, but just went through the direct entry one out of curiosity..
hope it helps though..cheers..

papawhiskey
15th Jun 2009, 21:36
Thanx flying hamster for the info...I need to double check on my computer literacy skills...wah wah wah!:}

Anyway i have registered and send out my credentials to kq for the direct entry positions.Hope all goes well pple!:ok:...Fingers crossed!

Thanx for all the help err'1!

F.O ironlion
15th Jun 2009, 22:26
thanks guys for the discussionon this thread...it goes a long way to help those who are interested in a career in flying for kq...av just sent an application for the ab initio training programme and now am crossing my fingers as i wait...

i had applied online sometime back and they got in touch with me to ask for my kcse results and mean grade although i did not hear from them after that..
this time i hope i have everything in check....

from what am reading i think we all have a chance as long as you do well in the tests and interview...its very encouraging...

i wish the lot starting on the 27th all the best in training and those who have just applied as well...

flying_hamster
16th Jun 2009, 00:57
Hey there F.O. IronLion,

i went through the same thing! this is my 3rd application for the ab-initio scheme..last year, they asked for my GCE grades, so i sent out copies, they said they'd revert back to me by the end of may 2008, and when i called, they said i wasnt on the list..big mess..!

then, applied again for the december 31st cut-off, and got no response..i'm really hoping i make it this time!
all the best buddy..! Pamoja!

@papawhiskey: all the best with your direct entry application!

Technocraft
16th Jun 2009, 09:47
@flying-hamster i have seen somewhere in your threads that you are not currently in Kenya, i adice that wha you should do as from 19th of June is to get your payload ready and if possible a standby flight ticket to nairobi because those guys can send you an email any time; like today to attend an interview tomorrow. i had to prepare for my psychomotor test while on bus travelling all the way from kampala,. Another reason is that the next bunch of guys needed from those who are applying should be leaving the country by end of august, so i guess things should move pretty first! Goodluck!:ok:

then to those on the group slotted for downsouth on on 27th, is it really 27th? coz i doubt we are gonna get any visas without even appearing at the embassy, of which we havent even been told of :oh:. somebody get firm on this please! cheers guys.

3stripes
16th Jun 2009, 10:09
@Technocraft....if i may ask how do you know that the bunch applying now will be leaving at the end of August??

wanabeeCapt
16th Jun 2009, 12:22
Technocraft, I dont know where you get your info, but end of August is simply out of the question. 43 school in SA has got only two intakes in a year, June and January. Kindly quote your sources.

And why should you doubt 27th as the departure date when that is word directly from the one in charge of cadet training, Capt Opere. Let me put it this way, our part is to get our passports ready and the KQ does the rest. But in case this assurance is not concrete enough, feel free to call Opere on his world famous Zain number.

flying_hamster
16th Jun 2009, 12:37
@wannabecapt:

you sure the next KQ batch will be sent off only in January then?
*ponders*
because, i dont want to be caught by surprise..if KQ need pilots, then maybe they have special arrangements with 43rd air school to provide training off the course dates?

just a thought, as i'm not sure whats really happening within KQ as such..

but, in the mean while, i suppose i will get my tickets to nairobi sorted, just in case!dont want to miss out this time! hopefully, i'll be in for the interview!

wanabeeCapt
16th Jun 2009, 13:17
I'm not aware of any special arrangements. If there are present then do not take my answer as the gospel truth. The only way to dispel the uncertainties is to get in touch with KQ directly.

KQ HQ telephone numbers
Tel: + 254-(0)20-6422000
Safaricom: +254-0711-02-2000
Zain: +254-0734-10-2000

Technocraft
16th Jun 2009, 17:10
I think wanabeecapt u have to believe that the possibility of a special arrangement for the upcoming interviewees leaving in august is rife. I got to understand from capt. Opere himself that KQ needed just more than 9 guys to make the first batch. this is when i asked about how many of us got through. I guess its an issue to do with benchmarks (am not flossing!). I coupled this with an assumption from the fact that the re-advert was posted soon after the oral interview with such a timely application deadline. I doubt its anything do with a next year's intake date. Anyway this is a rumour network and i stand to be corrected!

wanabeeCapt
16th Jun 2009, 21:51
I agree, nine is quite a small number to send down south. But I wouldn't say KQ were in a particular rush to train more pilots since they already have the direct entry pilot program running as well. Besides, I don't get the feeling that we are the 'chosen few'. More so with the limited flow of information and apparent display of disinterest from them, we almost seem like a bother at times.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. KQ will be paying for my bread and butter for the next 13 months but a little feedback now and then would be appreciated. Some like Capt..Slim(apparently still enjoying the PPrune ban) are waiting to bid farewell to family and friends but are just not too sure if to do it yet.

F.O ironlion
16th Jun 2009, 22:56
hi guys

i also find it unusual for kq to advertise at this time of the year...they normally do it at the end of the year but i could be wrong....but just like techno said...the guys applying at the moment should be ready to travel anytime once called upon....i awas also advice that they tend to give short notice for the interview.....

anyways those who get through will find out ama???

wanabeeCapt
16th Jun 2009, 23:13
Back in 2006 they advertised twice also, I don't know why everyone finds it strange this time round. Though I understand they took 20 and 18 recruits each time.

F.O ironlion
16th Jun 2009, 23:56
ah i see....

well then lets hope for the best as some of us egerly await from the 19th...fingers crossed...

let me ask are you guaranteed an interview as long as you reach the benchmark or do the do some filtering on the online applications???

flying_hamster
17th Jun 2009, 04:25
@F.O. Ironlion;

You read my mind exactly! Having read the earlier posts on how urgent the need for a few more cadets is, I was quite surprised that I had nothing from my previous application. From that, I assume that they do filter the applications online before being called for an interview..

I just have one more question to ask you guys..after having submitted your applications, under the "application details" tab, what do you see when you click on 'application assessment"?
i'm asking this because my previous application shows the short 'test' that we're meant to do after the application, but my new application shows a blank, and i am afraid that this is because the site was experiencing difficulties when i was applying, and perhaps the 'test' was not done properly?
i do, however, have an email confirmation saying i've submitted the test..i'm a little worried here....anyone facing the same predicament?

if it's not that big a deal, then, well, lets see where fate takes us after the 19th!
all the best!

Technocraft
17th Jun 2009, 09:19
About the guys headed downsouth,

This is even causing more suspense. Wannabe you are even very right to claim that these guys are treating us as if we are a burden to them. I have just received a call from the HR lady, I think her name sounded something close to Mrs. Ogde or something near there (as i learned from their introduction during the orals) and I was very keen to recognise the voice!. She simply asked whether i have handed over all my documents (copies of passport and goodconduct then medical cert) and that's all. She was pretty quick to tell me "ok, thank you" and the call was ended just as I was raising my lips to ask about when exactly we are leaving....so strange...:confused:. Anyway let's simply hope that this puts us a bit closer to the reality of leaving and further assurance. Any other who has received the call?

@F.O ironlion and Flying_ham, just keep hanging around and reviewing your application account details eveyr time you log online, develop an inward passion for that renown website Kenya Airways: The Pride of Africa (http://career.kenya-airways.com/careers/) and you will find that as time goes by you will become more and more sure of yourself that you have done the correct thing. What can i say? All the best!

3stripes
17th Jun 2009, 10:01
@Technocrat and wanabeecapt at least you guys should look on the bright side in that you've made it this far :)....anyhu I hope you guys clear everything up before the 27th....all the best :ok:.
@ flying_ham and F.O ironlion....am also in the same boat with you guys.Lets patiently and prayerfully wait for whatever happens after 19th. I really hope that we hear from them soon.:O....All the best to you guys too!!!!!!

Elpheba
17th Jun 2009, 10:06
Hi, am new and I just applied to the AB INITIO thing for Kenya Airways.
I got a test score of 85.7 sent to my e mail immediately after??
What does it mean???:confused:

F.O ironlion
17th Jun 2009, 15:03
@ephleba...i have no idea what that means....all the said on my reply was that the test has been recieved thats all...

all we can do now is just wait and see if we are successful from the ninteenth and as technocraft said keep cross checkng your details to update anything that needs updating...you have untill tomorrow after that its not n your hands anymore....

some have been successful on the first attempt others after several the main thing is not to give up.....

@flyng hamster and three stripes and elpheba....hope you are successfull...my prayes and well wishes go out for you guys...you have to be in t to win it..and you have given yourself a chance ...lets wait....pamoja

flying_hamster
17th Jun 2009, 15:15
@elpheba..

the test basically was to see if you've met all hte necessary requirements, pretty much like a "pre-screening" test..all the times i took mine, it shows 100..but, i wouldn't read that much into it, if i were you i suppose..

My sincere prayers to all you guys, those who've already gone through, and those who're waiting for an email like me..By God's will, we might all be flying together and doing our national airline proud real soon..

Elpheba
17th Jun 2009, 17:32
You suppose?
Gah. I'm half tempted to get a new e-mail address and re-apply.
Can't I do that??
Like before the deadline?
Someone?

wanabeeCapt
17th Jun 2009, 21:58
I would reapply if was you.

That simple test is just to gauge if you've met the minimum requirements. Ordinarily it should be 100%.

If not, you obviously won't get called for any interview.

F.O ironlion
18th Jun 2009, 00:26
am with wannabe on that one elpheba..reapply soonest something was not right there...
wish you all the best

flying_hamster
18th Jun 2009, 01:28
@elpheba:

thats exactly what I did too..used another email address, and re-applied..do it at the soonest, as wannabe capt and F.O. IronLion said..

then, see what the outcome is..all the best!

Elpheba
18th Jun 2009, 02:04
Thanks guys, but here's what am thinking, how do I lie abt my height? Because am sure that's where I botched up.
Do I take the "you'll-find-out-about-my-5.3ft-when-am-in-the-door" approach. And won't they figure it out when they see 2 applications with my name on it??

flying_hamster
18th Jun 2009, 03:42
@elpheba..
well, if its the height issue, then im afraid im not too sure what to do..because from what i know, the height requirements are mainly for reaching the overhead instrument commands, and for safety issues too..i'd say, leave the application for now as it is..if you want to re-apply, then withdraw your current application, then start afresh by providing a new email address..

chetekei
18th Jun 2009, 03:43
To all the new applicants. Read the KQ Careers site conditions carefully. I think you make your application void by duplicating it. I remember something like that. Plus, I don't think they index applications by email address alone. I know it's not the best thing to say now, but several people were turned away before the first test at the AirForce Base on account of height. However, I don't remember the specific cut-off. What a queer requirement!

flying_hamster
18th Jun 2009, 04:13
@chetekei
i havent read the terms and conditions, but will do soon..just your thoughts then, i had applied for the 31st december cut-off..no reply from KQ, and thats the reason why i created a new application..do you think i should withdraw the previous one then?

as for height, its a safety requirement, and also so that pilots can reach all the controls with ease, rather than stretching and reaching out for them...

Capt...giddy
18th Jun 2009, 06:37
@elpheba, not to discourage you but so many applicants were eliminated during the first interview in connection to height. Especially the female applicants, shockingly no girl made it all the way.The requirment was 5ft 4'. When the day comes, you just stand with an upright posture, it might add an inch or two.

Elpheba
18th Jun 2009, 06:40
I talked to Captain Opere, 5.4 is the bench mark to work at KQ as a pilot.
It sucks, especially since I'm a bombshell midget ;-):-D
So I decided am leaving my application as it is, and finding a different way to become a pilot (unless I can get the President to make a call, anyone have his number? Hehehe)
But yeah.
Good Luck to you guys, and here's to defying gravity...

Elpheba
18th Jun 2009, 06:44
At Capt...giddy, who said I'm a girl? Tsk
*wink wink*

flying_hamster
18th Jun 2009, 06:53
I just spoke to Capt. Opere too. The next batch starts interviews tentatively on the 20th of July.
As for my previous application, apparently its void now, so I guess i'm on the right track for having started a new application. He seems like a nice guy, and someone who knows exactly what he's doing!

@ elpheba: dont worry, if you do get that call, im sure you'll be fine..just keep your hopes up there..and, as you said, here's to defying gravity
*clink*

all the best!

F.O ironlion
18th Jun 2009, 06:56
@chetekei....the hight requirement is part of safety regulation so that you can reach some of the instruments easily without stretching the civil aviation is very strict on such issues...but you never know....

F.O ironlion
18th Jun 2009, 07:11
@flying hamster...al find out when i call him and post it here...ama??
@elpheba all the best in your application as well you just never know

flying_hamster
18th Jun 2009, 07:41
@ F.O IronLion: yeh, you can post it here, or you can PM me once you get it..

Elpheba
18th Jun 2009, 12:58
where am I suppose to put my grades physics, math and English grades????
There are two tabs Qualifications and Grade/Levels???

Capt...giddy
18th Jun 2009, 14:00
@Elphaba. On the qualification tab.

Elpheba
18th Jun 2009, 14:24
Thanks Capt, and congratulations, your one of the few headed for S.A?

Capt...giddy
18th Jun 2009, 14:59
You are welcome Elphaba, any time. And yes one of the few as you put it. Hehehe.

Elpheba
18th Jun 2009, 15:10
Dyou know how many people made the final cut?

F.O ironlion
18th Jun 2009, 15:16
congrats captain giddy...all the best sana..hope to join you lot soon..
@elpheba have you managed to sort out grades section??

Elpheba
18th Jun 2009, 16:59
@ F.O, yeah I did thanks. My fingers are crossed, a lot of prayers have been said, now, I hold my breath and wait.
Ain't that the worst part??

Capt...giddy
18th Jun 2009, 17:07
@Elphaba. We are only 10. But initially we were over 300. The journey was very long but thank God we did not crash on the way but took it all the way home.

@F.O ironlion. Thanks man, am sure you will be joinning us pretty soon in the cockpit. Good luck

wanabeeCapt
18th Jun 2009, 23:01
I saw the final list at Aziz's office. We are now 14. I guess the tailenders are now in as well.

flying_hamster
19th Jun 2009, 02:49
Hey guys, I'm assuming the red tape has been cleared for you now, and you're finally set to leave..not without packing though!
Congratulations to all 14 of you! i'm sure you're going to have the time of your lives doing what you love, and representing what is truly kenyan! cheers guys!

Elpheba
19th Jun 2009, 05:23
@wannabe Tailenders?? Who are those?

flying_hamster
19th Jun 2009, 08:31
I think its going to be longer than just a day!
anyone got a response already for today's deadline?
*ponders*

the_admiral
19th Jun 2009, 11:52
@flying hamster and anyone else out there..: how does one input the ID number? I have tried the Citizenship tab but tells me I have a pop up blocker yet that's not true. i have less than 40 minutes to submit the application. Kindly.

3stripes
19th Jun 2009, 14:33
@the_admiral did you try the special pass tab?....thats where i put mine and it was okay.Best of luck!!

Technocraft
19th Jun 2009, 14:53
Hey people, just relaaaax. Dont expect KQ to call u anytime soon, and dont give up on expecting to be called sometime soon! If it comes let it be like a by-the-way else you risk the possibilty of suffering mental deto...(something) if you keep on banking on it as your be all!
Goodluck in your waiting

Elpheba
19th Jun 2009, 15:43
A by-the-way?
Uh huh like the rest of our lives, living and doing what we love doesn't depend on this ONE call!!
*brushes shoulder* Sure... I can do that!

F.O ironlion
19th Jun 2009, 18:03
yeah...patience and hope i guess....whatever happens happens....we have all done all that we can do...

flying_hamster
22nd Jun 2009, 07:29
@the-admiral:
sorry for not having replied earlier, but I added my ID number in the special pass section, and it was fine..hope you managed to sort it out in time?

I have another question to pose to guys already through for the 27th.did you have to sign any guarantors or sign against a property in case you let loose the training bond? because a number of airlines require that..

Orindajeff
23rd Jun 2009, 03:57
Assuming you were called for an interview and you were out of the country because of educational purposes and u never went .Then next time after finishing school u applied again what are the chances of getting called. In short I am a fourth year aeronautical engineering student in Russia i still have two more years to study (am doing a masters program that is 6 years specialist in airvehicle structure and engine repair and maintenance majoring in powerplants ). I have applied for the Ab-initio training i really want and have always dreamt of flying as a carreer i just didnt have the resources to realise my dream .but i am willing to go for any thing even working without pay to get that dream come true i just enjoy being airborne..i finish in 2012 and imediately will come back home. the thing is that i am really afraid that if i dont make it in time for the interview this time, then next time they may not consider me what is the best option or advice i may look at please?

flying_hamster
23rd Jun 2009, 08:37
@ Orindajeff:
Well, I dont think they segregate that way, from what I know. If anything, they might see you as a good candidate, who's keen on the job. However, maybe you'd like to have made a point to tell them you'd be finishing in 2012..? or, you should've started applying towards the end of 2011 or so..but, if KQ needs pilots, im sure they might have the ab-initio programme each year or so..

wanabeeCapt
23rd Jun 2009, 21:08
Good question, flyinghamster. No, we haven't signed against any property and neither have we signed any contracts yet. My assumption is that KQ are sufficiently satisfied with the shortlisted candidates to risk a very expensive training venture on them. Besides, all who successfully complete their training are eventually bound by contract to pay back the training amount once they become F.O's.

F.O ironlion
23rd Jun 2009, 21:32
@wannabe....do you know wheather they do some screening of the online applications or as long as you hit the benchmark you are likel to attend the first part of the assessment??

wanabeeCapt
23rd Jun 2009, 22:15
Contrary to popular belief, they do not screen applications. In fact they would rather have as many people as possible for the aptitude so as to end up with a sufficient number to be sent for training. Small errors are the cause of many applications being turned down not the alleged screening process.

F.O ironlion
23rd Jun 2009, 22:53
@wannabepilot cheers man...

so far everything sounds encouraging contrary to common myths...
pamoja

flying_hamster
24th Jun 2009, 13:49
@wannabecapt:
im guessing the training bond is 5-7 years? and they deduct the amount from the salary scale until the full amount is settled?
*ponders*

and, as for the screening, having spoken to Capt. Opere, the computer system apparently screens the applications against the minimum requirements. This was his response when i asked about what could've happened to my previous application, and why i may not have been called for an interview. He also suggested that minor mistakes in applications may have led to my application not being shortlisted..though, i cant be totally sure on this..

3stripes
25th Jun 2009, 04:52
...to the guys leaving on Saturday..you must all be on top of the moon right now..just about 48 hrs before take off!!!...i just want to ask you guys not to forget this thread when you get dowm south...Keep updating us on your progress and answering the many questions that us newbies will have on here...thanks n cheerz!!!!

mosairus2007
25th Jun 2009, 06:57
Learning to fly so as to fly with kq is totally a misplaced perception...
I think people need to change their ways of thinking or you stand a humogous chance of being really disappointed...

I agree flying with kq is a great opportuinty but its not the epitome in one flying career,there so many other opportunities out there

So for those who love flying and have a genuine passion for flying whn kq door closes that doesn't means you will never fly...

flying_hamster
25th Jun 2009, 08:20
@mosairus2007:
you're absolutely right when you say that! however,you must also understand that flying is expensive for many, and thats why a paid cadet programme is so important to some of us, and so, relying solely on such cadet schemes at KQ will help us realise that dream :)

mosairus2007
26th Jun 2009, 08:16
Actually you are very right,the programme is so important and indeed it help lots of guys out there to realise the flying dream.

I sometimes wish there was a way out of this "limited" resource or even grants to help guys realize this dream...I guess its good to maintain an open mind and to be optimistic you will be doing your self a diservice if you loose hope or you stop dreaming.

wanabeeCapt
29th Jun 2009, 10:02
People, we're in SA..the flight was great, the weather is terrible. 7-10 degrees approximately. We're in 43 air school at Bisho. It's an extension of the one at Port Alfred. We start our grounds this Wednesday. Good luck to the ones awaiting the interviews. @flyinghamster, you were right about the bond. It's a four year contract though not five.

3stripes
29th Jun 2009, 10:52
@wannabecapt....i guess u aint a wannabee anymore.LOL!...anyway am happy to hear that you guys got there fine and i wish you good luck in your grounds....does the 43 Air School in Bisho have as good infrastructure as the 1 at Port Alfred?...and when did they expand to Bisho?

flying_hamster
29th Jun 2009, 11:01
@wannabecapt:
good on you bro! am very happy for the guys that got in and are now at the first step towards a fulfilling career!
we're still waiting for our responses for the initial interviews..maybe we can soon meet up in S. Africa!

F.O ironlion
29th Jun 2009, 20:14
well in wannabe enjoy to the max....and as flying hamster said hope to join you guys soon...

has anyone spoken to capt opere recently for an update or any new developements????

flying_hamster
30th Jun 2009, 11:31
hey people!
this might be of importance to the ones waiting for responses for the 19th June deadline..

i tried to call Capt. Opere today, a few times, i might add, to try find out when they might give a response or get back to applicants. I did this because if at all i get called, i'd have to wind up and leave from Malaysia!

Anyone else out there who got responses already, or know what may be going on, or when they might get back to us?

All i can see is getting to the interviews..the rest, i have confidence i can manage well! dream job! raaaa!

flying_hamster
30th Jun 2009, 19:39
to the guys in S.A already:

Any clue if they conduct interviews in two batches? ama all the applicants are assessed on the same day initially?

Im sort of surprised i didnt get the email for an interview..i have a feeling i messed up my application online..or, something else that i've though all along..
any opinions, guys?

N671US
30th Jun 2009, 21:31
Congratulations to all those of you who have made it through the KQ selection process.

I'm a 22 year old Kenyan citizen who is about to graduate with a degree in Aeronautical Engineering. My only rating is a PPLG issued by the FAA, but I have logged tonnes of hours in gliders.

A couple of quick questions:

1) Somewhere in this thread, I read you need to be under 25 in order to apply. I don't see an age restriction on KQs info Direct Entry Pilot training brochure. Some clarification please?

2) Is a 4 year commitment all they ask for in their contract?

3) How long does it take to go from having no rating to getting a CPL SEL Instrument if attending a flight school in Kenya? As I mentioned earlier, I have logged several hours flying gliders and am quite confident (not over confident) of my flying and decision making abilities. I am also well versed with FAA VFR/IFR procedures - I just haven't gone and gotten the ratings.

flying_hamster
1st Jul 2009, 03:25
@N761US:

From what I know, you dont need to get your type rating before you apply. You need to log a minimum number of hours, and have had to attained your CPL, and that makes you eligible for applying.

Try have a read through the website:

And look under "direct entry scheme". If you already have logged hours on a glider, maybe you can go up to a flight school, and just add on to those on a cessna, and you'll up your hours. However, best thing to do would be to drop KQ an email, and let them know of your situation. They'd be in a better position to advise you on their needs.

The information is provided in the "direct entry programme" section.

Hope that helps :)

3stripes
1st Jul 2009, 05:34
@flyinghamster....are there people who have already got their e-mails for interviews in the June 19th deadline batch??...i have not got mine and i will be very disappointed if its true....did capt. Opere tell you anything?

flying_hamster
1st Jul 2009, 12:21
@ 3 stripes: yeh, a few have got them, it seems..i tried calling Capt. Opere yesterday, but there was no answer on his cell phone..tried a number of times..

im still holding on to faint hope that we'll get the emails soon..if not, then, well..guess i'll have to wait for the next intake..that would mean my 4th application!
haih!

F.O ironlion
1st Jul 2009, 14:10
ya guys some guys have got mail for the interviews but i wouldn't panic yet guys its still early days....

wanabeeCapt
1st Jul 2009, 14:34
I have spoken to someone as well who has received an email to attend the interview tomorrow. This time round it appears to be a short notice affair.The 43 airschool at Bhisho aka Bulembu campus was started a year and a half ago and caters mainly for foreigners and sponsored groups. It is equipped with ILS(instrument landing system) while the Port Alfred campus is not. It has a smaller community though. We're about sixty in number but the facilities are excellent. @flyinghamster, the interviews are definitely conducted in several batches depending on how big the applicant lot is. Our group had two batches of interviews a day for four days. So if your on a later batch you might be informed later. FOironlion is right, don't panic. You will be contacted soon enough. All the best!

chetekei
1st Jul 2009, 15:05
People, relax as you've been told. If there is one thing this process will put to the toughest test, it is your patience. I'm sure you are aware of this from the earlier posts. Another thing, I don't know if calling Capt Opere on his mobile is advisable. Put yourself in his shoes with everybody reading this forum calling him. I'd advice you to call HR for clarification through the official contacts of the company.

Elpheba
3rd Jul 2009, 16:55
I got called!
Test is on Monday morning.
tell me where to get material, or past tests.

3stripes
3rd Jul 2009, 17:52
@Elpheba...when did you take the test,Thursday or Friday?

Elpheba
3rd Jul 2009, 18:36
Am taking it on Monday.

Elpheba
4th Jul 2009, 04:15
HELP.
Aptitude Test!
Someone?

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Jul 2009, 06:48
Not certain you can bone up for aptitude tests. Maybe just do a few mathematical puzzles, brush up on your reasoning skills, work on your fine motor skills/hand eye coordination. Best would probably be to get a good night's sleep the evening before so you're ready for things and have a good breakfast so your blood sugar doesn't crash. Avoid anything that takes a lot of energy to digest as it could make you dozy. Relax and enjoy it rather than go in there on edge and spring loaded to the panic position. Most companies also check you out to see if you have the personality to fit in on the flight deck so just act as you would normally do.

Good luck....

F.O ironlion
4th Jul 2009, 09:18
am with you elphelba....monday morning as well.....all the best to you...

Elpheba
4th Jul 2009, 21:45
@ F.O ironlion, and to you too...
Lord knows I could use a bit of luck.

flying_hamster
6th Jul 2009, 12:15
hey guys!
im guessing a number of us here on the forum got slotted for the 7th for the initial interviews!
so did I, though, i am in a fix. I didnt receive an email until this morning, and im half way across the world (In Malaysia)

Sent an email to the same address that i received my interview details from, and even tried to call HR with no avail.

Any idea if they'll be able to reschedule me?

I've left calling Capt. Opere as my last resort..you guys think it might be of help?

Anyone out there? quick responses? :s

flying_hamster
6th Jul 2009, 13:33
ola guys!
just spoke to HR..i cant make the interview, and kesho is the last day..wasnt meant to be for me this time, and im sure God has a plan...!

All the best to the other guys who did the test today, and to those doing it kesho..!

@ Vc10Tail:

psychomotor tests aren't really much to do with personality, its more reasoning and co-ordination.

Try google for the test, im sure something useful will come up..also, look for earlier posts in this thread..there was a sample test posted online, called IPAS, if i remember correctly, but still, rummage through the thread, utaipata..wish you luck mate! :ok:

atco749
6th Jul 2009, 17:55
woiye flying hamster......pole sana. you really wanted this badly...... did you ask Hr if they could consider you for the next intake since you'll be back in kenya??

flying_hamster
7th Jul 2009, 01:22
@atco749: yep, the lady i spoke to was really nice to me, and she seemed to understand my disappointment too! however, she said that they run schemes based on demand that the airline has, and so, she cant be sure about the next scheme, and requirements for that either. But, in case such a scheme does run again soon, i'd have to re-apply!

one thing is for sure, having received the call for an interview, im quite confident of myself, knowing i can make the initial cut atleast :)

no hope lost..like the "saying" goes, not NO, but not YET! :)

Elpheba
7th Jul 2009, 12:28
Has anyone gotten a call back after the aptitude?

chetekei
8th Jul 2009, 12:58
@Hamster. I'm really disappointed at the turn of events. However, having followed up on your contributions in this forum, I believe you will make a great Aviator in future. I like your attitude. To all doing the tests, all the best!

flying_hamster
9th Jul 2009, 13:01
@chetekei: thank you very much for your words. dreams are meant to be chased, and this one, im not letting go of!maybe i was unfortunate, and maybe God has some other lessons and things in mind for me. Till that happens, im going to sit tight, and wait for his sign :)

My prayers and good wishes to all the other guys out there either undergoing training, or attending assessments. I really wish you all the best, and i still insist, i'll be flying with you guys very soon!
Pamoja!

Elpheba
22nd Jul 2009, 12:36
Okay so I didn't quite make it into the KQ program, :ugh:
Plan B!!
Anyone know any good flight training schools in SA???:)

Air Marshall
29th Jul 2009, 10:47
@ Elpheba...i have a buddy who was in Algoa-its aight.... I hear. Try also Progress flight academy besides 43 air School. Australia also has good schools you mght want to consider.
Happy Landings. :ok:

Elpheba
4th Aug 2009, 17:19
Thankyou Air Marshall. :-)

Ken Flyer
5th Aug 2009, 12:15
Hi there. Thanks guys for keeping this thread alive. I've been following it for quite a while now though lately I've noticed things have gotten a bit quiet.

Does anyone know how far the current ab-initio has gone.

Thanks.

flying_hamster
6th Aug 2009, 10:06
Hey guys, thought i'd revive this thread by posting up a brief of the emails i received from KQ regarding the interviews!
i think its absolutely hilarious that I received my interview confirmation, then last week, i recieved another email telling me that my application was unsuccesful!

Im assuming the latter was a computer generated email from the online system :)

Anyway, whats the latest on the 2nd batch?
F.O. IronLion? Anyone else?

F.O ironlion
10th Aug 2009, 17:01
its been rigorous as earlier described by guys on this thread but through Gods grace i have made it to the final interview which is tomorrow al keep you guys updated on what happens as it happens...wish me luck...

Elpheba
12th Aug 2009, 09:38
Congratulations, and all the best!!:D:O:}

F.O ironlion
12th Aug 2009, 13:39
thanks ephelba....i need the wishes...now my patience is going to be tested mbaya sana...

DanteSmith
13th Aug 2009, 00:39
Hi I studied in australia. some good schools in queensland, but basically spend all the money getting student visa, then for the course, and the conversation to Kenyan CPL is quite expensive. Tough decisions

pmat
14th Sep 2009, 09:55
F.O.Ironlion, what was the outcome of the interview?

aspiringpilot
14th Dec 2009, 07:39
Hey guys,

KQ has just advertised for the next intake for the AB Initio pilot programme, if you didn't make it last time, then you have another chance....

For those who did make it, how are things in South Africa?

All the best!!!

flying_hamster
17th Dec 2009, 13:12
@Aspiringpilot: I just happened to read your latest post, and would like to know where it is that KQ advertised for the new Ab-initio scheme? you swift response would be greatly appreciated..:ok:

aspiringpilot
17th Dec 2009, 13:24
And a swift response you shall get :)

They advertised in the local dailies some time last week. It was posted on their website on 8th December 2009.

flying_hamster
17th Dec 2009, 13:29
@aspiringpilot: I really appreciate your response! I did manage to find it in the careers website, and i hope that as many people as possible read your post, and apply for the position!
Did you apply, by the way? I ask as I did not get a confirmation email saying my application has been submitted..if you did apply, i wish you all the best in the process!

God Bless! :D

aspiringpilot
18th Dec 2009, 05:20
@flying_hamster Yes, I applied. I got the confirmation email about 24 hours after submitting my application.

All the best to you too man!!! :ok:

YoungKenyan
21st Dec 2009, 12:03
Hi guys, I too applied for the KQ training and this is my first time out of school. I scored all As in their requirements and I just want more information about the whole thing. This may be premature but its my first time to try to find a career path, does PILOTING pay much? like ghow much....Is it a career you can develop yourself in?

flying_hamster
22nd Dec 2009, 18:51
@YoungKenyan:

Good to hear you too applied for the scheme! all the best to you!

As for your questions, a career as a pilot is indeed rewarding. However, it is a job that requires great commitment and more so, passion. I say this because of the levels of concentration needed during training, and during a flight too.

In terms of career progression, there is a path, as with most professions. the highest you can get to as a pilot would be the left hand seat i.e/ captain, which would depend on the number of hours you have logged and other factors..

Im hoping this answered your questions in brief..however, if you're unsure, i would suggest you read up as much as you can on the other careers that you might have in mind too, as im assuming from your post that you're a little bit unsure..all the best buddy :) :ok:

Orindajeff
23rd Dec 2009, 05:57
Hallo young Kenyan as mentioned above being a pilot takes alot of commitment and not only but health too..My engineering trainers at the hangar usually call pilots drivers in the air; the only thing that distinguishes them is the pay ceck they carry home and the color and size of their drivers' licences..But piloting is recommended only if u are sure that u will keep your eyes off the bottle(do check out the recommended alcohol levels in pilots' blood system), and most of all keep a healthy body all the rest of your remaining part of life..the question is that what if u don't and something ends up happening causing u to loose your licence..what do u do?..in short u r still a young fellow and gauging by the A's u mention above i don't see why u cant acquire a position in a well accredited university any where in the world..But all in all the decision is all yours..if u want to go chasing and or running away from thunderstorms then make the choice..