PDA

View Full Version : Should I fly or should I just read for the ATPL!

tigermagicjohn
14th May 2009, 21:00
Having been offered the possibility to get around 200 - 300 hours for free this and next summer on single engine, I feel I have a potenial dilemma of choice.

I currently need to finish my ATPL's, and doing the best I can with getting trough that, I have recieved this offer - I only have a total of 160 hours at the moment, enough to start the CPL when the ATPL's are finish. However it is a very tempting offer to go for, to get those hours for free, however it will of course affect my reading time. The flying will be around 5 hours daily, weekends maybe 8 - 9 hours, and only during the summer months.

I want to try to do both, read and fly - not sure how much energy will be left, but do you feel those potenially 200 hours could be important for future work later? And is it worth the delay in maybe finishing the ATPL's?

Rugbyears
14th May 2009, 21:47
May I be as rude to ask how you are able to obtain 2-300 free hours of flying time in such a short time?

tigermagicjohn
14th May 2009, 21:53
It's for a flying club in Scandnavia - they have firewatch patrol. Of course depends on how hot and dry the summer gets, normally if dry enough it can be 45 hours a week, not just one pilot of course. (but it is not for all, members only I guess) I have been with the club many years ago, so have the chance to get some hours for free. Unless it rains of course!

B2N2
14th May 2009, 21:57
Take the free time.
Those offers are once in a lifetime deals.
That's 20k-30k of flying time right there take it!
Finish the ATPL's later.

Rugbyears
14th May 2009, 22:28
If it were I who had this opportunity, I would opt for the flying. You obviously have the ATPL material, therefore why can you not continue with you studys at your own pace whilst you reside there.

thetimesreader84
14th May 2009, 22:53
If you don't want it, I'll do it!

Seriously though, take the hours. It will be good experience, and give you some good war stories for later on in your career. And i'm guessing its day/VFR only flying, so presumably you could study on an evening, and the days you are weathered in?

It would be hard work doing both, but you didn't think this would be easy did you?

Tinstaafl
15th May 2009, 00:38
Take the flying, whether or not you will be able to study. At the end of summer you will have a couple of hundred additional hours. Do the ATPL theory afterwards.

End result: ATPL theory *and* a few or several hundred hours.

The alternative: ATPL theory a few months earlier but without the hours. Just like every other fresh ink CPL being spewed out of flying schools, month after month. In those few extra months they'll all be there with their close-to-minimum-hours. And so will you!

paco
15th May 2009, 04:23
No brainer - the biggest problem pilots have is bridging the gap between licence and hours - so take the hours and take your books with you - the exams will always be there, free hours won't!

Phil

Mikehotel152
15th May 2009, 07:56
The hours!

What's the point rushing to get ATPL exams under your belt.

Or was it trick question? :suspect:

AreWeNearlyThere
15th May 2009, 08:22
Free hours all the way old chap!

As stated previously, it may take you a little longer to get the ATPL theory out the way but unless you have a placement or job upon completion of the ATPL, why not go and enjoy yourself with some FREE flying!!! - Think of the experience it should give you for when you start the CPL training.

Good opportunities like this never arise for most people, so make the most of it, thats a lot of flying!

Good look with it all.

AWNT

tigermagicjohn
15th May 2009, 11:40
Yes I also thought it would be a great experience, and there should be time to read all night long, long nights in the north.
So guess my bags will be packed end of the month - and hope the summer will be very hot and dry - so there will be many hours to fly!!!

AlphaMale
15th May 2009, 13:19
Wise choice John. I'm sure you'll have a good time out there :ok:

Guara
15th May 2009, 13:51
Well done, mate. Enjoy the flights up there.