PDA

View Full Version : Microlight qualification hours for CPL- help!

chard118
14th May 2009, 15:22
Hiya guys, sorry if this isn't posted in the right sub-section but it seemed relevant!
Passed my PPL early 2008 now hour building here and there when I can, for what will eventually be the 150 qualification hours I will need for the CPL(A).
However, at the moment I'm flying Ikarus C42, classed as a microlight.

Queried with the CAA about... 5 times? Whether or not microlight solo hours can qualify towards a CPL. I've seen nothing in LASORS to say otherwise and the fact the CAA are umming and arring over the whole matter tells me that this is a grey area?

My understanding was there was a cap on microlight hours, something like 25?

Any help at all, I am superbly stuck on this one!

Spit-Fire
14th May 2009, 22:42
I contacted the CAA last September with ref. to your point and told instantly that they could not be used. If you're considering something like a Jabiru (like I did), having spoken to the UK rep. on the matter he advised me that the cost would be more expensive than hiring a C150/152.

Under FAA rules you can log time in Micros providing they are above a certain weight.

Good luck with all the training

LH2
15th May 2009, 00:54
I believe, but don't quote me on this, that some JAA authorities used to allow 3-axis microlight hours to be counted toward CPL, etc. I seem to remember this used to be the case in Spain.

I imagine now things would have changed anyway, as we now in addition to microlights we have VLAs, or whatever they are called in Europe (FAA equivalent is LSA, Light Sport Aircraft).

Chasegood
15th May 2009, 08:21
Got over 300 hours microlight myself and have done the research - just forget them basically - they count for nowt.

chard118
15th May 2009, 09:45
My fears have come true! Spoke to the head of some sub-section within a sub-section of the CAA and was told although it doesn't specify that microlight hours aren't allowed to be counted, section A of LASORS says that content is related to Group A Aircraft only... I'm tempted to challenge it as it seems very vague and a definite grey area!!!

My areguement would be that the kind of microlights im flying, Ikarus C42, would probably out perform some of the dilapidated 1970's group A's that are certinally buzzing around Wales, so why can't they count?

Anyone have any insight or just want to shut me up :)

Mickey Kaye
16th May 2009, 08:27
Yep it's a bit annoying when the C42 flies the pants off most 'group A' aircraft.

However there are one or two hotships around which are as cheaper to run than a C42 or C150 for that matter that do count - the Evans VP-1 springs to mind.

1/8 shares usually run for about 500 quid and 20 pound an hour.

Genghis the Engineer
16th May 2009, 20:42
To the best of my knowledge you get 10% of microlight hours up to 10 hours towards JAA PPL, and nothing towards CPL or ATPL.

It's clearly daft that a C42 doesn't count towards ATPL but a VP-1 does. However, it's been the rules for years and I doubt you'll do anything to change it, so may as well just live with them.

I'm 99.99% sure you'll find that all in LASORS.

G

BEagle
16th May 2009, 20:59
From LASORS:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg

Holders of pilot licences or equivalent privileges for
helicopters (including UK QSP(H) with no previous
SEP aeroplane experience), microlights having
fixed wings and moveable aerodynamic control
surfaces acting in all three dimensions, gliders,
self-sustaining gliders or self launching sailplanes
or gyroplanes, may be credited with 10% of their
total flight time as Pilot-in-Command in such aircraft
up to a maximum of 10 hours towards a JAR-FCL
PPL(A).

The problem of modern high-end microlights such as the C42 is that their existence was never considered in the early years of microlighting when most microlights looked and performed like an illicit affaire between a tent and a lawn trimmer. Whilst aircraft such as the C42 do indeed have excellent performance, the simple fact is that a line has to be drawn somewhere. If the C42 was registered and operated as a SEP Class aeroplane, hours flown would count in full towards any JAR-FCL aeroplane pilot licence - but if the CAA were to accept hours flown on a G-M*** registered C42, then someone would want hours on something less capable accepted, and so on ad infinitum.

As has often been said, make too much of a song and dance about how much 'better' a C42 performs than an aged spam can and someone might then say "In which case you will be regulated in the same way as an aged old spam can" - and no-one really wants to visit that on the BMAA or its members!

Genghis the Engineer
17th May 2009, 09:47
At the same time, many modern microlight pilots would probably need less training to get into a C152 than into one of the tent/lawnmower hybrids which personally I think are the most fun flying machines to be found in the microlight fleet!

Ah well, we know the rules, they've now stayed pretty much the same for a reasonable number of years - so we can all work with it.

On the other hand, we used to see 1-2 perfectly serviceable microlights written off each year by high hour "heavy metal" pilots who refused to acknowledge and learn about the differences. Since microlight differences training became mandatory, those accidents have pretty much disappeared. 'Tis an ill wind which blows no good at-all, and you have to draw lines somewhere.

G

chard118
18th May 2009, 23:37
I've given up on that matter now and will be wandering over to Swansea airport with wads of twenties stuffed in my pockets looking for some sort of share scheme. Ive had a look around, doesn't seem to be much in the way of share schemes in the South Wales region!

Anyone have any insights? *long shot mode on*

AlphaMale
19th May 2009, 00:19
You're right there isn't much but when you walk into the hall way of Swansea airport you'll see a notice on the board for a group share in a class A aircraft. There is also G-TOMS (PA38) that is down there but no slots as far as I am aware.

Good luck with the flying, I guess you're next door to us if you're using the C42 :ok: