PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what happened to Air South, Shoreham?

Torque Tonight
14th May 2009, 11:08
After gaining my PPL in the mid 90s, I did my first 'independent' flying with Air South at Shoreham. Revisiting Shoreham recently, I saw no trace of Air South and an internet search also drew a blank.

I therefore presume it is long dead. Does anyone know when they closed and who their 'heirs and successors' are? I see an 'Air South Limited' was registered in Bournemouth form 2007 until earlier this year (Company Number 06093966 (http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/5cf2610db7c8563d50bdc273840944da/compdetails)) - were they related? I would be interested in finding out who took over, inherited, wound up, received or administrated the original Air South operating at Shoreham in the 90s. If anyone has any leads I would be grateful.:ok:

PM if preferred.

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
14th May 2009, 12:44
I did my PPL with Air South between Nov 1991 and Jul 1992. I seem to recall that they merged with Southern Air a few years later. I dropped in to their new office at that stage to get my logbook signed off for Certificate of Experience.

Googling John Pothecary gives a link to the Moth Club and Old Sarum Engineering. I think John & Jenny moved to Old Sarum after they left Air South.

Safe Flying,
Richard W.

Africrash
16th May 2009, 07:25
John and Jenny "retired" some years back and moved to the Old Sarum area, I believe John then became pretty involved in the engineering side at Old Sarum, Jenny used to appear at OS occasionally as well. several of the Air South planes were still at Shoreham last time I visited with other clubs, but the original building has long gone.

will5023
16th May 2009, 10:51
Air South is long gone, but happy memories of learning to fly there, funnily enough i bumped into Jane, the receptionist, yesterday at Shoreham,

memories of px
1st Feb 2010, 17:57
shed 11 was demolished it now has a portakabin and KB aviation's new hangar on the site,air south then went to what is now the visitor centre before being taken over by southern air,those premises are now flying time i believe theyre called.i hope everybody felt they got value for money flying there,great characters,no-one stuck up or stuffy, you might find elsewhere,just keen aviators,TB is still around, owned by redhill i think,EL, nelly still on the field, sadly PX collided with some cumulo granite in scotland.Please keep updating this link with your memories and happy flying everyone!

IO540
1st Feb 2010, 20:22
Shoreham has had so many schools there concurrently that they were going bust almost nonstop. At one stage there were 8 fixed wing PPL schools, plus the helis, plus somebody teaching just aeros I think.

biaman
2nd Sep 2011, 22:13
i worked for them as a trainee back in 89 for nearly a year,john and jenny were always good to me and i have found memories,i helped out with basic aircraft servicing,and some office duites i rember jane,and the horrible coffee machine that would explode now and then,if people didnt clean it,lol lots of pilots from British island airways did training here also i rember mr villers who owned the airline,i used to look after the airlines piper Aztec G -aley if i rember,good days,who rembers there 2 germam shepered dogs? lol i used to walk them.