PDA

View Full Version : Pilot's road to success - Inquiry

chrazemaster
14th May 2009, 00:47
It has always been my dream to be a pilot and now at last I am given the oppurtunity and I want to make it right as much as possible, Please share me your knowlege so I could become a good one.

I have searched this forum and found that I should take PPL > CPL > Intrument rating course

-is this enough to apply for a job?
-what is waiting after graduation with only 200 flying hours?
-what are the possible options?
-become an instructor?
-what is the average salary of a fresh grad CPL pilot?
-what other training I could take to gain more flying hours and earn the right to fly other planes.
(from what I understand If I want to fly for example A320 aircraft I should apply for a ??? rating for that, then I will be training on simulator then after that do they allow as to really fly the actual plane after a few hours of simulation?)
-is there an aviation school in the philippines like PAL that after graduating and getting the CPL it could provide you with a job flying airplanes (besides instructor job)?
-if your going to start all over again which aviation school would you get your wings?
-what will you do after getting CPL?
-training? what training will you get?
-job? what job will you get?
-after getting about 1500 flying hours were would you apply? or will you take another training?
-which Airline do you plan to work?

I really hope you can enlighten me to some of my inquiries.
Thank you. :ok:

=======================================================

skyhighbird
14th May 2009, 07:49
I have searched this forum and found that I should take PPL > CPL > Intrument rating course

-is this enough to apply for a job?

CPL means you can fly for renumeration - towing gliders, dropping parachutists, towing banners etc. For airlines, you will need to do the ME (Multi Engine) and the IR (Instrument Rating) and an MCC (Multi-crew cooperation course

-what is waiting after graduation with only 200 flying hours?

Don't understand the question? You mean how long until you get a job? How long is a piece of string?

-what are the possible options?

GA (General Aviation) pilot or Airline Pilot.

-become an instructor?

Sure. But money is terrible and you have to pay for the Instructor Rating. But it can be an invaluable way to gain hours and also show prospective employers how much you want to fly

-what is the average salary of a fresh grad CPL pilot?

Depends. Flight Instructor is terrible pay compared to the RHS (Right Hand Seat) of an A320.

-what other training I could take to gain more flying hours and earn the right to fly other planes.

FI builds hours. GA flying builds hours if you can get a job.

(from what I understand If I want to fly for example A320 aircraft I should apply for a ??? rating for that, then I will be training on simulator then after that do they allow as to really fly the actual plane after a few hours of simulation?)

For an A320, you need to take an A320 Type Rating! And no, it takes more than a "few" hours to fly the real thing!

-is there an aviation school in the philippines like PAL that after graduating
and getting the CPL it could provide you with a job flying airplanes (besides instructor job)?

Any flight school "could" provide you with a job. When you finish your CPL IR/ME then you have the required licenses to apply to Emirates! (You won't get in though). Remember just because you complete the Phil Av school course, if there are no jobs at PAL, you won't be getting in! Clark is another way but ONLY IF YOU HAVE GUARANTEE OF A JOB( 5J). DO NOT take it if you have no gurantee. The MPL is worthless without an airline guranteeing employment.

-if your going to start all over again which aviation school would you get your wings?

N/A

-what will you do after getting CPL?

Pray and hope that the world dis a better place

? Where. When. What?

-job? what job will you get?

Hopefully RHS of an airline

-after getting about 1500 flying hours were would you apply? or will you take another training?

Apply for a legacy carrier.

-which Airline do you plan to work?

British Airways!

I really hope you can enlighten me to some of my inquiries.
Thank you.

chrazemaster
14th May 2009, 16:15
Sir skyhighbird thank you for the reply.

-what is waiting after graduation with only 200 flying hours?:ok:

Don't understand the question? You mean how long until you get a job?
>>can i get a job after CPL or do I train more?(from what I understand If I want to fly for example A320 aircraft I should apply for a ??? rating for that, then I will be training on simulator then after that do they allow as to really fly the actual plane after a few hours of simulation?)

For an A320, you need to take an A320 Type Rating! And no, it takes more than a "few" hours to fly the real thing!
>>how many hours?

? Where. When. What?
>>after getting a CPL what training can I take? but you already answered with CPL IR/ME.
>>any suggestions where to take this IR / ME in the Philippines?

Again, Thank you sir.:ok:

Silver Spur
15th May 2009, 11:31
Hi chrazemaster,

I was in the similar situation as you are some 6 years ago, (I am know an FO for a major airline). While economic and aviation climate may not be the same, but I believe what I did then could be an input for you.

Before I enroll (or have commitment) with any flying school this is what I did:

I wanted to be an Airline Pilot, but I was not eligible for any Cadetship or Sponsorship Program, so I had to self-fund my training. Knowing my long term goal is to fly for a major, and at the same time knowing that after 200+ hours I had no way to join that Airline, I did a research on what flying school do Majors send their cadet to, then, I considered and eventually enrolled myself in that flying academy - Point is, at least when my log book is good enough for my dream Airline, my CV is that much better for having trained by the Academy that the Airline trust.

During My Training:

Focus on the Training, and I updated myself on how the economic and aviation climate was (was not that good due to SARS) - Point is to plan ahead of what to do after graduating. At that time, flight instructor rating looked like the only path available to me to build the hours - though, I still search for other options due to wage of a low hour flight instructor might not cover my living cost.

After Graduating:

I decided not to take the Instructor Rating right away because I was still hoping for an Airline job. Things eventually got better and by a miracle I would say, I got hired by an Airline in my Home Country flying a Boeing 737. But remember that this is a Miracle, considering I had only 200 hours - So you really can't count on this option. Flight Instructor or GA job seem more realistic.

And now I am in my dream Airline after spending 4 years flying that 737 and gain all the necessary hours to apply.

So for you to consider:

1. Set your long term goal as to what kind of Air Transport career you would like to have.

2. Do a research on which flying academy would make your CV better for your long term goal.

3. Observe whether or not you will be able to land a job that you wish after 200+ hours, if not you may consider a flying school that may offer you Instructor Job after graduating as your stepping stone. Because In My Opinion, getting a job in GA is not as easy as it seems.

This may not answer your specific questions, but I hope this could help you to see the bigger picture of what needs to be done to achieve your Goal.

Cheers

Silver Spur
15th May 2009, 11:37
One more thing, I know in some countries a fresh grad can get a 737NG or A320 job provided they self sponsor the Type Rating (which I believe around USD 20,000 ish). Some authorities also do not allow non-nationals fresh Grad to join any airline in the country.

I don't know how things work in your home country, but a research will help you decide what to do.

Macarto
24th May 2009, 05:34
Greetings Silver Spur, indeed it is a miracle to be hired by a major airline with only +200hours and no type rating. May i know which Airline and Country you came from and what were your plans if this miracle had not occur to you. If you feel a need to keep this disclose, you could send me a PM about it.

Cheers,
Macarto