PDA

View Full Version : CAA Requesting Original Logbooks

Bubi352
14th May 2009, 00:39
I finished my JAA ATP conversion from an FAA ATP or so I thought. I sent all the paperwork to the CAA at Gatwick and I was told to send all my original logbooks.

I never heard any aviation authorities asking to send original logbooks. Not even accepting notarized copies. The examiner who did my practical test had to even sign the application testifying he saw my logbooks, medical and FAA license.

I will not send my logbooks by mail or Fedex. I can see it being already lost. Is this common practice? Is it really required? Who can I talk too to get around that?

Keygrip
14th May 2009, 02:12
I wouldn't think there is anyone that you could talk to to get around it.

It's a prerequisite of the application process and it's clearly listed on the application form submission instructions.

I sympathise, to an extent, but if you want the licence then you have to apply for it in the same way that everybody else does.

If you wish to stand your ground and refuse to submit your logbook(s) then I would fully expect that the CAA will stand theirs and not issue the licence.

paco
14th May 2009, 04:35
One suggestion - rather than send them direct to the CAA (and I share your feelings on this) is there anybody in UK you can send them to who is able to pop in with them?

Phil

Nashers
14th May 2009, 06:22
when i passed all my flight tests and had to send of for my little blue book, i drove down to gatwick and gave them everything by hand.

just make sure you have a copy of the last few pages of your log book and copies of everything else they ask for. i infact have a second logbook not because im scared of a fire or flood washing it away, but because i dont trust royal mail.

only downside is that the CAA send everything back in the mail second class (i think). deffo not recorded though although if i remember right, they do give you the option to go down there to pick it back up.

A and C
14th May 2009, 09:07
Unfortunately you have to send them the log books, the fact FCL are not usually let out without adult supervision should be a concern to you so make copy's.

I wont tell you about the case of the missing IMC rating and associated paperwork because it will just unnessecerily raise your stress level about something over which you have no control.

7574ever
14th May 2009, 10:59
They sent my licence and logbook back home via UPS, free of charge other than standard taxes.

Tinstaafl
15th May 2009, 01:17
Unless you can deliver & collect them yourself (or via a trusted agent) photocopy every page, have the copies notorised, and then send the logbooks by recorded/insured delivery. It costs a little bit but is cheap insurance.

If you have multiple log books then do a couple of books on each scan using whatever scale reduction will let them fit to a sheet of paper. It can be worthwhile to supply your own paper in an alternative size to let all pages fit the photocopy paper eg legal size instead of A4, and depends on your original logbook size). The copy doesn't have to be original size - just legible.