PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory compliance with state-of-design ADs

Biggles_in_Oz
13th May 2009, 12:35
CASR Part39 changes

Recently read the May-Jun 2009 Flight Safety magazine and came across this gem from CASA on page 37, where CASA, from 1 October 2009, will no longer issue Australian ADs mirroring state-of-design ADs.

As I read it, it basically puts the onus onto the aircraft operator to discover, and then comply with, any manufacturer ADs (eg if you have a USA designed aircraft then the FAA ADs would apply)

Should I regard this as yet another example of CASA offloading work and responsibility ?
I thought that a role of CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) was to notify Australian operators if CASA thought that there was a safety issue involved that required an AD.

tipsy2
13th May 2009, 13:52
Its been this way for (I think) about 20 years.

The various incarnations of our national regulatory authority have followed "international best practice" in doing so.

They even baulk at having to issue AD's for Australian Designed/Certificated aircraft. That's mainly because of perceived 'liability issues' and the ever present 'cultural cringe' regarding anything 'home grown'. Mind you there has been a pretty substantial brain drain and almost all the intimate industry knowledge has (been) retired.

tipsy:=

Joker 10
13th May 2009, 22:37
It is as it always has been thus, the C of R holders responsibility.

bushy
13th May 2009, 23:34
But our friends in CASA are very quick to issue "unique Australian" AD's that apply to imported aircraft. I often wonder about their motivation.

Joker 10
14th May 2009, 01:29
They have primary responsibility to maintain safety as provuded in the Act, you simply cannot fight city hall.

bushy
14th May 2009, 03:27
It seems that CASA have engineers that can find a need for AD's that are not considered necessary anywhere else in the world. Even when there are thousands of the same type operating safely overseas without the AD that is necessary in Australia.
"You can't fight city hall"?
Sometimes you have to make noise and query some things if you want to prevent your aviation system bogging down. Hardly anyone has been game to challenge our all powerful regulator and we have suffered because of it.
Checks and balances are required.
I sometimes have to worry about their motivation.

porch monkey
14th May 2009, 08:14
No, they wouldn't. But, as usual, we just let 'em.:ugh:

Jabawocky
14th May 2009, 08:16
Good point..... there would be a major campaign from :oh:.:oh:.:oh:.:oh:....can't say....its worse than mentioning that event the year after we had expo in Brisbane.

J:}