PDA

View Full Version : Number of pilots per type of airplane

aegger10
13th May 2009, 09:46
How many pilots are needed per airplane type to keep it economically viable, so it can fly 24/7 (and i don't mean 2 pilots to keep it in the air).
Examples anyone?

Henry VIII
13th May 2009, 10:28
Mainly it depends from routeing and crew layover or not.
As far as I saw figures may vary from around 4 crews per acft on short haul ops without outstation layover to 11 crews per acft in case of long haul ops with long outstation crew layover.
With all intermediate scenarios in between.

Bealzebub
13th May 2009, 10:31
How long is a piece of string?

It really depends on the type of aircraft, the type of operation, the number of units within the fleet and other variables. For example a corporate Boeing 767 might well need far fewer crews than a similar unit flying for a scheduled airline. Similarly a 767 flying for an airline would require crews based on the type of operation. Would there be crews required for downroute placement? Is it a mix of long haul and short haul route flying? How many units are there in the fleet, such that there are economies of scale from a crewing standpoint?

For a charter carrier flying day/ night rotations on a medium/long haul mix in the summer season a figure of 6-7 full crews per unit wouldn't be too wide of the mark, but again it very much depends on the many variables. Those variables not only include the type of operation, but also planning for such things as maintainance, training, leave, sickness, aircraft substitution, etc.etc.

Ancient Observer
15th May 2009, 14:50
Short haul charter should be 6 full crews. However, Sod's law and aviation's usual problem with absence control makes it 6 - 7. I mention absence control - BA couldn't run many more SH routes, as it is so incompetent on absence control.