PDA

View Full Version : Advice for first stage of Modular ATPL in Australia or New Zealand

matthew.gyi
12th May 2009, 20:33
Hi,

I was wondering if I could ask for some advice with regards to starting modular training for a fATPL in Australia or New Zealand.

I've recently decided to take the Modular route rather than Integrated due to the high financial risk and fragility of the employment market at the moment, but because I always had my heart set on the Integrated route I foolishly did very little research into Modular training. This is my plan though:

I'd love to get the chance to travel and experience flying in another country before things get serious with the training (i've been flying gliders for about 4 years in the UK), so I'm considering doing my PPL in either Australia or New Zealand. I understand that these countries are not JAA members so I would need to convert to a CAA PPL when I return but this doesn't bother me too much. I then plan to return to the UK and continue with the ground school CPL/ME/IR etc..

Can anyone think of any pros or cons with this idea. Any advice would be really appreciated. Also if anyone could recommend any schools that would be great!

Many Thanks
Matt

Aerouk
12th May 2009, 20:38
I'm sure there is a JAA flight school in Aussi, not sure of the prices though.

Whirlygig
12th May 2009, 23:41
The only thing required to start a JAA ATPL theory course is an ICAO PPL for which Australia or New Zealand would suffice.

It would only be if you did the full Aus/NZ CPL-ATPL would you require conversion back to JAA.

You may only have to convert the PPL if you wished to do your hour building in a JAA state.

Cheers

Whirls

matthew.gyi
14th May 2009, 11:48
Thanks guys, your advice is very much appreciated.

I've decided on NZ for the training (my uncle has a campervan i can use over there so will be able to spend more money on flying!), can anyone recommend any flight schools over there? I've been pointed in the direction of Quantum Aviation so if anyone has heard anything good/bad about them that would be great.