PDA

View Full Version : Email attachment files

Tosh McCaber
12th May 2009, 19:39
How large can email attachment files be on ordinary email, (Outlook, Hotmail, etc), without the need for special additional programmes for really large files?

jimtherev
12th May 2009, 20:05
Seems to depend on your isp.

I've sent gigantic files thro' AOL in the past, nary a whimper. Just signed up with Be and I seem to be limited to 2Mb :bored:

Don't know if this will still happen if I'm aliased via e.g. hotmail; I'll have to try & see.

Jofm5
12th May 2009, 20:33
It not only depends on the isp that is sending the files but also on the mail admin of the server receiving the files. Typically a corporate email using MS Exchange Server is set to around 10mb as I think that is the default limit - this is to limit the storage requirements for holding everybody's mail boxes.

If you know that where you are sending can receive bigger files than you are allowed to send then you can get around your ISP's restriction by installing your own SMTP server on your local machine and sending mail out through that rather than your ISP's SMT server. A program such as Easy SMTP Server - secure and reliable way to send e-mail from your portable PC (http://www.softfolder.com/easy_smtp_server.html) would suffice, once installed change the SMTP settings in outlook from your ISP's SMTP server to your local machine name.

Be warned that most most mail servers will bin email if the recipient domain name does not match the IP range it was sent from e.g. if you try sending email as [email protected] from an Virgin Media i.p. address using this smtp software the likelyhood is the email will be treated as junk mail as the hotmail IP owner is not the same as the Virgin Media ip owner.

Gertrude the Wombat
12th May 2009, 21:51
Depends on all sorts of things. You can really only ask "what's the largest message I can sent to such-and-such a person using such-and-such a route". And even then it might depend on the day of the week.

Anything under 2Mbyte I expect to work. Anything over 20Mbyte I expect not to work and find some other way of shipping it. Anything in between I might try it to see if it works or not, and I usually wouldn't put money on it either way.

13th May 2009, 11:25
I just have one if:

If you have gmail and the person you are mailing also has gmail, then the limit is 25mb.