PDA

View Full Version : Any FedEx type Operations in Africa

ATPMBA
12th May 2009, 01:52
Are there any Fedex type operations serving the African Continent?

I think Fedex can service Africa but it is from ex. USA to South Africa, not Kenya to South Africa.

Two questions:

1) Any Fedex type service within the African continent?

2) Is there a market for such a service there?

Thanks,
Ken

Melax
12th May 2009, 03:04
Not that I know. There are a few operators subcontracting for them, I remember seen a caravan in DHL colors in Dakar. There is a market (not FEDEX type) with profit margins well above what you can make in the US but you really have to know What you're doing, very tricky... PM me if you need more details.

shutupanfly
12th May 2009, 05:55
DHL have pretty much got Africa covered, tough market to break into, youve really gotta have bucketloads of contacts high up in every imaginable dept, from DCA's to presidents..................It would be a very wealthy/brave company that makes that move. Having said all that, Africa, well parts of it anyway, can only improve economically, and competition is needed. DHL is very very very expensive.

Good luck, the flying, at least is awesome.

papsifo
12th May 2009, 18:50
there is a DHL ATR 42 permanently based in dakar now

Arik
12th May 2009, 22:25
DHL seem to have a big operation at ABJ; President just announced plans to develop the freight operations there shortly ...

Watch & wait!

Arik

atpcliff
13th May 2009, 12:26
Hi!

In Nairobi, there is DHL, FedEx and UPS, along with smaller companies. You can ship to-from the us via any of the 3. It is VERY expensive!

cliff
NBO

yanafrica
13th May 2009, 20:43
The ATR is not permanently base in Dakar !! crew arrive in the morning spend the day or week end then leave
the main base for DHL ATR are Abidjan and Lome
and the main base for DHL is Lagos
actualy DC10 arrive from Europe to Lagos then 727 or ATR (depending of the load) dispatch the fret around.
this is for west Africa for the rest ..........

yanafrica
13th May 2009, 20:49
BY the way the operator of the plane are
GEMINI for the DC10 /
ALLIED AIR (i guess)for the 727
SOLENTA for the ATR

GUSTO
13th May 2009, 21:20
Yeap ATR not based in DAKAR , I remember these long nights flying in West Africa and the nice weekends in Dakar having some fun , apero with Yanno a l'aeroclub and much more ...

UPS is doing belly freight with airlines but no airplanes based in/or coming to /AFRICA

Sir Osis of the river
14th May 2009, 01:51
Is that Zimbabweam fellow still in charge of DHL Africa?

yanafrica
14th May 2009, 08:24
Is that Zimbabweam fellow still in charge of DHL Africa?

Actualy Solenta is run by Zimbo but solenta is not in charge of DHL Africa.
DHL got their management.
Solenta operate on the DHL contract.for the ATR in west africa,1900 in ME and i guess a few Van down south.
Solenta also operate on other contract on ATR / 1900 / Van.