PDA

View Full Version : Swords, Ceremonial, Air Officers, for the use of

TrickyTree
11th May 2009, 18:02
Right, I know this is a bit geeky so let's get all the p**s-taking out of the way now.....

....Finished? Good. Then here's my query.

As one of Her Majesty's loyal airmen the other week I purchased (ahem!) a copy of The Royal Air Force Yearbook 2009. Perusing said literature I found this picture (http://www.raf.mod.uk/gallery/queenscolourflypastandparade2008.cfm?viewmedia=8) on page 33 illustrating an article concerning Sir Glenn's tenure as CAS.

Something about it didn't look right. Look at the swords carried by the officers. They appear to be of the Air Officer's pattern - except the Chief's. In fact it doesn't appear to be an RAF officer's sword of any description. So what is it?

Am I missing someting really simple or is Sir Glenn carrying the wrong sword? I know that in times past when officers carried sword's in battle this was a regular occurrence but in 2008 for ceremonial purposes? The only thing I can possibly think of it that it may have something to do with his being a Knight of the Bath.

Can somebody enlighten me? I'm just about the post this on "the Goat", too.

Thanks all.

spheroid
11th May 2009, 18:45
Not sure about CAS but the chap to the left of Hilda seems to be wearing the uniform of an RAF chappie but carrying a Naval Officers sword..... Maybe he only has the one.

Airborne Aircrew
11th May 2009, 18:51
That anorak needs cleaning...

GPMG
11th May 2009, 18:52
I can't be sure but it looks as if they are carrying their swords, not wearing them.

Alber Ratman
11th May 2009, 21:55
It's his magic wand for cojouring up the biggest thunderstorm he possibly can after he gets off the dias.

Tried it the first time on the closure of 6 Sqn at Coningsby in 2007.

Got the spell right when this picture was taken.

CounterSunk
11th May 2009, 22:24
Officers have standard swords, but differing scabards I believe, one for officers below Air Rank, and the one for the Airships which is ever so slightly more fancy:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/964916B1_92D8_58D3_000CB14A10495884.pdf

Sir Glen must have got his from eBay. Also has he got a false hand or is he out of practice in the fine art of 'throwing one up?'

parabellum
11th May 2009, 23:28
Probably forgot his sword and had to borrow the 'Below Air Rank' one from someone rather than be without;)

diginagain
12th May 2009, 04:32
Could his ADC not suggest he use the Mess Webley rather than the sword? It'd be easier to clean afterwards.

Blacksheep
12th May 2009, 07:10
Rather the wrong sword than the wrong trousers.

Perhaps the sword is a family heirloom of great sentimental value?

"Harrumph! Er, Yes. GGGGrandUncle Marmaduke honourably fell upon it after his little indiscretion came to light."

taxydual
12th May 2009, 08:08
As to that salute. Cocking a snook comes to mind!!

Flap62
12th May 2009, 08:32
Salute? What salute? Are you talking about the bloke on the right who's waving to his mum in the crowd?

taxydual
12th May 2009, 08:49
Does anyone else feel a 'Caption Competition' entry is about to bloom?

foldingwings
12th May 2009, 09:51
And as for how he's holding it (being silver rather than gold-plated it looks like a regimental sword to me)! If I were he, I would have taken my lead from the senior rank (MRAF) present and the Rockape who has been trained to know what to do with his sword when on parade!

Foldie

PS. All RAF swords are gold-plated hilts

sitigeltfel
12th May 2009, 13:50
HM seems to be wearing the same grimace that she wore on Buck House balcony when it was alleged that Philip let one rip.

Big_les
12th May 2009, 14:09
I think this is it from another angle;

RAF - Queen's Colour Flypast and Parade 2008 (http://www.raf.mod.uk/gallery/queenscolourflypastandparade2008.cfm?viewmedia=6)

Looks to be a silver-hilted smallsword - the suggestion of it being a court sword appropriate to his status as a Knight of the Bath seems likely.