PDA

View Full Version : Additional Type Ratings on NPPL?

rich_g85
11th May 2009, 11:19
I'm currently doing my NPPL on a PA-28. Once I have my licence, what would be involved to allow me to fly the Cessna 172 as well? Do I need many extra hours? Is such a practice even allowed on an NPPL?

The reason I ask is, if I'm able to fly either then my chances of being able to book 'an' aircraft on busy weekends should be increased!

Rich

ak7274
11th May 2009, 11:44
As long as the Aircraft fits into the NPPL category then all you need is the neccessary check rides. Up to 2000kgs/4 seats/140 knots etc.
Even a wobbly prop /retractable is fine as long as you have the required training.

rich_g85
11th May 2009, 11:49
So I just need to comply with whatever the Club specify is required?

I'll have a word next time I'm up there then, thanks!

S-Works
11th May 2009, 11:54
Yes in a nutshell. There is no such thing as a type rating on an NPPL. You get a class rating for SSEA - Simple Single Engine Aeroplane.

To fly other aircraft in the same class you technically do not need to do anything. However the wise inexperienced pilot would seek differences training from an Instructor.

Every school will insist on differences training and then probably recurrent club checkouts anyway.

pa28r driver
17th May 2009, 11:39
are you sure about the dangly dunlops/wobbly prop isssue ??

S-Works
17th May 2009, 11:52
are you sure about the dangly dunlops/wobbly prop isssue ??

there is no issue. A NPPL holder can differences training and be signed off to fly them.

C42
17th May 2009, 18:13
I have just completed my JAR but i flew for the last couple of years on an NPPL in a plane with C/S prop that cruises at over 140kts, i did my diferences training and the examiner stuck a little square sticker in my log book saying diferences training onto high performance C/S prop taildragger. Job done

I only upgraded to a JAR as i like to go to the Channel Islands

Dave

Crash one
17th May 2009, 19:04
I believe you can now get a seaplane rating? on a NPPL. Anyone know otherwise?

S-Works
17th May 2009, 19:27
It is possible to add a (sea) to an SSEA CLASS rating.

As long as it fits in the SSEA category for the NPPL then there is no reason why you can't add an SSEA(Sea) to an NPPL.