View Full Version : Flying instructor training schools??

72jetjok
10th May 2009, 15:04
Hi

not sure if this is the right forum but here goes....

Can anyone recommend a good FI training establishment preferably in the Derbyshire, Notts, Leicestershire areas, or at least within reasonable travelling distance from Derby?

I'm not sure what the employment situation is with FIs at the moment since I've lost touch with all aspects of professional flying since being made redundant over 5 years ago. I used to be a FI way back in about 1977 round about when Pontius was a pilot! Anyway I'm now 60 and I'm assuming that I will have to do a full FI course which I believe now costs about £6000(gulp!).

Any help/advice/info greatly appreciated.

Cheers

cream cake
10th May 2009, 15:15
Before you get ripped into for not searching the forums, may I suggest Leicester Aero Club as the closest option. A bit further but good rep Ontrack Aviation at Wellesbourne (Warwickshire)

tropicalfridge
10th May 2009, 21:24
For full time FI work there is really nothing going at the moment. If you are very experienced you might fair a little better. My advice for what its worth is don't spend the £7k unless you have a job in principle at the end.

Mickey Kaye
11th May 2009, 07:31
I would very much recommended Kevin Rowell of Advanced Flight Training who is based at Sherburn. He seems to specialize in atypical training requirements.

Advanced Flight Training (http://www.advancedflighttraining.co.uk/)

I had a 15 year break from instructing due health problems and contacted him about getting my rating renewed.

He was dead helpful, offered loads of advice, tailored a "renewal" FI course to suit my needs. I haven't got my logbook with me but I think in ran to about 12 hours in total plus the test. As for the ground school well there was as much of that as I wanted as I could just turn up and sit in on his briefs with his regular students. He didn't charge me for the ground school element and I was surprised by how much things have changed.

He also has quite a large sphere of infuence with the flying schools in the surrounding area and managed to get my foot in the door at a flying school near to me.

I would certainly give him a call or pop in to see him. He will happily give advice for free even if it's not in his best financial interests. Which I always think is a good sign.