PDA

View Full Version : Last wartime MP dies

Trumpet_trousers
10th May 2009, 12:39
Link: BBC NEWS | Politics | Last war-time MP Millington dies (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8042565.stm)

However, he was one of the first public figures to question the morality of the aerial bombardment of Germany.

He told the House of Commons in March 1946: "We want - that is, the people who served in Bomber Command of the Royal Air Force and their next of kin - a categorical assurance that the work we did was militarily and strategically justified."

In his autobiography, Was That Really Me?, written at the age of 89, he wrote: "I had progressed from being a homeless, jobless outcast at the age of 16, chucked out of home and obliged to leave school."

He added that if asked "of what I was most proud, I would have no hesitation in replying, 'Commanding a squadron of Lancasters'".

In an interview with the BBC last month, he recalled being approached by a Tory MP who told him that his DFC ribbon was worn too wide.

Mr Millington added: "He was, I think, not expecting my reaction. 'If you are talking to me as an RAF officer: stand to attention; take your hand out of your trouser pocket and address a senior officer as Sir. If you are talking to me as a fellow Member of Parliament, mind your business and bugger off.'" (my bold)

I feel the World will be a drearier place for his passing - the House of Commons will be for sure! RIP Sir :ok: