PDA

View Full Version : Pilot career in Europe

Flaps45
8th May 2009, 15:31
Hello all,

I have a couple of questions about airline pilot career progression in Europe.

1. How do people become pilots at major airlines like British Airways, Air France, Iberia or Lufthansa?

2. How do people become pilots at regional airlines or low cost carriers?

3. Is it necessary for young pilots to pay for their own type rating training (for the aircraft operated by their prospective employer) in order to get a job? Or do the airlines train their own new hire pilots?

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Flaps45

Transsonic2000
9th May 2009, 01:38
Hi,

1. How do people become pilots at major airlines like British Airways, Air France, Iberia or Lufthansa?In general they have their own pilot cadet program. In order to qualify for the cadet program applicants must pass a stringent aptitude test, and EU-citizenship is a prerequisite. Occasionally they hire Ready Entries (preferably with jet experience and type rated), but this is rarely the case and in light of the current world economical and financial situation probably won't gonna happen in the next few years.

2. How do people become pilots at regional airlines or low cost carriers?
Self-financed pilot training. The European system is not based on flying a lot of hours before one can apply with an airline, as it is the case in the US. In general after the completion of your pilot training (200-250hr tt) you just go an apply for a job with an airline.

3. Is it necessary for young pilots to pay for their own type rating training (for the aircraft operated by their prospective employer) in order to get a job? Or do the airlines train their own new hire pilots?Usually the company pays the TR. There are some companies like Ryan Air or Easy Jet who say they give preference to those who already hold a TR, but in times like this even a TR won't buy you a job. And considering about 20.000 Euros (in average) for an initial A320 TR (FAA TR's aren't accepted by the JAA) there aren't that many people who are able/willing to afford that.

As already mentioned earlier, EU-citizenship or the legal right to live and work in the EU is a prerequisite. Hope I could help.

Greets!

Flaps45
9th May 2009, 14:55
Transsonic2000,

Thank you very much for the exellent post. Very informative!

I was told, by one of the young EU pilots, that the only way to get a job in Europe is to pay for your pilot training and THEN also pay for your TR.

Thanks again,
Flaps

EpsilonVaz
9th May 2009, 15:13
I was told, by one of the young EU pilots, that the only way to get a job in Europe is to pay for your pilot training and THEN also pay for your TR.

In the current climate, he's pretty much correct. Airline jobs are few and far between, and even having a TR is sometimes no help.

Just a note on British Airways, as far as I know, they no longer have their own cadet programme, and at the moment only recruit experienced pilots (that is, if they recruit at all).

Then again, British Airways is not the be all and end all, there are plenty of other airlines out there that can offer you a good career, especially to start with. If you're looking to come to Europe and join a flag carrier, the odds are slim to none at best.

Aerouk
9th May 2009, 15:56
Flaps45,

Have you got the right to live and work in Europe? It can be pretty hard to get sometimes!

MartinCh
10th May 2009, 00:35
Marriage of convenience would solve the hassle. Not considering hiring market..

Also worth looking into tracing ancestry a bit and if you can prove it in records, certificates etc, some EU countries have OK laws to acquire citizenship through descent. Although Spain, Italy and Portugal are known to have started or about to tighten their rules due to blatant abuse of it. I.e. Brazilians getting passport of a country they don't want to go to.
Well, why not, if one's eligible? Each has to fight for themself/ves. I got two passports and counting.

I met Argentine chap with Polish passport, Canadian 'Irish' who's never set foot to Ireland, Aussies or Kiwis tend to have all sorts of European descent passports, French citizens who don't care about France, Jews getting Israeli citizenship and other ways on ethnic grounds.