PDA

View Full Version : C130J cardboard cockpit

Big Trevor
8th May 2009, 12:52
I have just started as a civilian instructor at my local ATC squadron and have been handed a basic pc based C130J flight sim programme. Do you C130J drivers use cardboard cockpits to learn your checks when you do your conversion course? I would like to integrate the pc screen into the cardboard display to make it a tad more realistic and give a better feel of scale. I have looked online to see if they can be bought comercially but I cant find one.

So, do they exist and could I enquire as to if I could potentially get my mits on one?

Kind regards

Big Trevor
(Airbus driver and ex Cadets and SUAS)

Bob Viking
8th May 2009, 13:09
My God.
Think of the size of that!!:eek:
I hope it's a big cadet hall.
For the record, I have no idea if they exist. Sorry I couldn't be more help!
BV:O

Big Trevor
8th May 2009, 13:14
I used one for my Airbus conversion course, it wasn't 1:1 scale, but was bigger than a computer screen! The civvy ones are about 5 feet high including the overhead panels and sit well on a desk for learning checks, I assumed you guys might use something similar??!!

Ken Scott
8th May 2009, 15:02
Most of the guys on the course learn their checks using the non - motion sim (FTD), but we had 4 'Carels' built which were full size cockpit displays, in 3D, made of fibreglass with pictures of the instruments behind perspex. The whole thing weighs a ton, but makes up a full size flight deck which you can sit inside, with overhead panels etc. They're no longer used but just take up space in the schoolhouse. We tried to get rid of them years ago, offered them to the RAF Museum, local ATC units etc, but it came down to space, health & safety (!), and we quite literally couldn't give them away. If you're genuinely interested then PM me.