PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Cyprus...cheap flying, any ideas?

s-mendus
8th May 2009, 09:20
Hi,

I have a PPL at just over 100 hrs and am trying to hour build at the moment, however work is sending me to cyprus for a few months starting next week. I wondered if anybody has any contacts or tips for me to carry on flying out there as cheap as possible. I have contacted a couple of the flight schools there, and with the exchange rate the way it is, the cost of hiring a 152 is around £150 plus per hour!!!

If anyone can help me out with any contacts or tips for flying at a cheaper rate than this I would be really greatful.

thanks in advance

Simon

S-Works
8th May 2009, 09:39
There is no way of flying cheaply in Cyprus. It is also becomes very dull very quickly. It is hot all the time, the viz is shocking due to pollution and heat haze. There are very few places to fly and the airspace is very restrictive.

Nice to get it in your logbook but that's all.

tropicalfridge
8th May 2009, 10:18
Agree that the GA flying in Cyprus is limiting. You generally have to stick to set routes and it won't take long to fly them all. On the upside, there are great opportunities to cross borders to the middle east, north africa and Italy.

You could try: Akrotiri Flying Club 00357 2527 6217. Its an RAF club so you may need to explain some kind of military connection. If you don't have any military connection its still worth giving them a try as they are much cheaper than the rest.