PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding Jetstars entrance into NZ!

flyingspikes
8th May 2009, 01:44
Hi everyone,

I had had a couple of quick questions, one that was raised while I was at the Qantas Club in Auckland yesterday, and another one that just popped into my mind while thinking about the first! Now I have posted my opinions as well to the questions, just so you know exactly what angle I am taking.

Ok here goes, the first one is regarding the potential closure of Qantas Club lounges domestically.

While initially I was against the prospect of this idea (since the announcement of NZ domestic going all Jetstar, I have concluded it is really only a matter of time before they are closed) if the lounges were closed, especially in Auckland, could that allow for the Air New Zealand and Jetstar (with Pac Blue thrown in for good measure) sides to merge into one, and start a common use area?
Now as I know it at the moment, Air New Zealand currently owns airbridges on 30, 32, and 33, while AIAL owns 29 but im sure that something could be arranged. The reason why I ask this, as presently if QF have two flights going at the same time from gate 20 and 21 there is often a queue out security inevitably leading to delays as they look for passengers. Also in Christchurch the removal of the lounge would allow for far more seating, although whether this is needed i am not sure.

Secondly, at Auckland and Christchurch (not an issue at Wellington I believe) I was unsure as to what renovations might need to be made to the airbridges in order to make them A320 capable?
As the gates were originally built for the door heigh of the BAe 146 and Pac Blue 738's regularly get stuck on them, I wasnt sure whether new bridges were going to have to be built, or if somehow an archeologist was going to be called in to investigate making the bridge a bit higher (roughly an 80cm deviation I believe between 733 and A320) - then again they might just find some old yellow pages to stack under the current one to get that extra height knowing AIAL.

Now, why I actually care about either of these things im not sure, but it avoids looking out the window in this horrible weather we are having in NZ today!

Have a good one,

Chris

Going Boeing
8th May 2009, 03:10
I don't know about your first question, however, your second one about the airbridges is probably quite simple - Jetstar is so "cheap" that they won't pay any extra for use of airbridges. Their operation in Oz is based around pax walking across the tarmac & using stairs to board. It seems that pax discomfort and safety in wet conditions is not enough of an issue to persuade them to pay for airbridges.

ditzyboy
8th May 2009, 05:03
GB -

Jetstar use aerobridges 100% in Adelaide and almost 100% in Melbourne, Darwin and Townsville. In Sydney they sometimes use the rear stairs in addition to an aerobridge at the forward door but this seems less and less to be the case. In Perth Jetstar seem to use an aerobridge where available, though this is rarely the case. In Brisbane and Cairns aerobridges are used when available.

In all other ports aerobridges are not available to ANY carrier. Jetstar do not use umberellas in wet weather at non-aerobridge locations, but does Virgin or Tiger?

ANstar
8th May 2009, 05:41
Virgin had umbrella's in a bin at the base fo the stairs in Ballina when I last flew there in wet weather.

c100driver
8th May 2009, 06:45
The entire CHC domestic terminal is due for demolition soon so that will fix a lot of CHC problems.

Oxidant
8th May 2009, 06:46
At CHC Jetstar use the airbridge (Every time I have used them)

seneca208
8th May 2009, 07:44
Thats for international though..

Going Boeing
8th May 2009, 08:46
Got a cuppla bites - just fishin' guys :)

27/09
8th May 2009, 11:10
Spikes, I'm not sure I can really make sense of your questions.

if the lounges were closed, especially in Auckland, could that allow for the Air New Zealand and Jetstar (with Pac Blue thrown in for good measure) sides to merge into one, and start a common use area?

Now why would Air NZ want to close it's lounge?

I know it at the moment, Air New Zealand currently owns airbridges on 30, 32, and 33, while AIAL owns 29 but im sure that something could be arranged. The reason why I ask this, as presently if QF have two flights going at the same time from gate 20 and 21 there is often a queue out security inevitably leading to delays as they look for passengers.

Why would Air New Zealand want to give up airbridges they own (assuming they do own them) to help out a competitor?

I was unsure as to what renovations might need to be made to the airbridges in order to make them A320 capable?

As the gates were originally built for the door heigh of the BAe 146 and Pac Blue 738's regularly get stuck on them, I wasnt sure whether new bridges were going to have to be built, or if somehow an archeologist was going to be called in to investigate making the bridge a bit higher (roughly an 80cm deviation I believe between 733 and A320) - then again they might just find some old yellow pages to stack under the current one to get that extra height knowing AIAL.

The air bridges I've seen are able to be adjusted for various size aircraft. Why I do believe I've even seen an A320 using a airbridge that is usually used by a 737. No changes needed for the airbus.

I'm not sure how Pac Blue get their 738's stuck on the airbrdge.

flyingspikes
8th May 2009, 13:00
Now why would Air NZ want to close it's lounge?

Sorry, what i meant was the QantasClub lounge closing, as the area it uses, as far as I can tell is the only blockage between the Air NZ area, and the soon to be ex qantas area.

Why would Air New Zealand want to give up airbridges they own (assuming they do own them) to help out a competitor?

Well it would mean that they would not have to use remote stands (such as 28 and 31). For those of you in the koru know, you might remember a promise last year that no Wellington or Christchurch flights would be using the stairs for boarding (slight attack against the new pac blue there). Unfortunately, one delay and the whole place goes to shambles while the QF side waits the next 2.5 hours patiently for their next plane to arrive. Could easily have mutual benifits.

The air bridges I've seen are able to be adjusted for various size aircraft. Why I do believe I've even seen an A320 using a airbridge that is usually used by a 737. No changes needed for the airbus.

The ones I am talking about are only the ex-ansett gates. The ones which are attached to the ground with a solid pole and a cab that can only move forwards and backwards and up/down very slightly (literally less than 20cm only to align with the door) Someone might be able to correct me but i believe the pac blue getting stuck was a case of the auto-level and the safety shoe not communicating with each other and the bridge going to its maximum height and refusing to come back down.

Virgin had umbrella's in a bin at the base fo the stairs in Ballina when I last flew there in wet weather.

Sounds like a novel idea! Pity Auckland Pac Blue havent followed through with their counterparts and rely on gate 21 always being available when it rains.

Cheers everyone for your responses,

Chris