PDA

View Full Version : what is the future for multi station ground handlers?

STN Ramp Rat
7th May 2009, 18:11
debate on http://www.pprune.org/flight-ground-ops-crewing-dispatch/341842-ground-handling-contract-pricing.html I thought I would pose the following question.

What is the future for the multi station ground handlers and do they still provide a benefit to their customers?

I have always understood that the perceived benefits of signing up with a multinational are:
1. Volume discounts are available in pricing
2. There is uniform service level
3. Each airline would get an account manager that looked after their interests globally

It could be argued these benefits are marginal in a positive economic climate because

1. Volume discounts are very subjective and each country requires a separate contract and negotiation as they are separate legal entities.

2. The uniform service level has been proved to be a pipe dream numerous times on this board
3. A service manager has limited ability to affect the performance at a distant location.

With the severe downturn in the industry a number of the multi station handlers have been making decisions that could be argues further undermine their position.

1. Menzies bankrupted their Danish subsidiary following the failure of Sterling Airlines. Presumably the airlines found themselves without a hander at no notice and a creditor for any monies they were owed for ticket sales and excess baggage collections.

2. Swissport have recently sold their German Passenger operation to AHS, on this occasion the airlines now find their contract has been sold to AHS as part of the deal.

3. A number of agents are closing operations like Aviance in Leeds and Servisair in Cardiff undermining the notion of a single provider.

What views do people have on this?