PDA

View Full Version : Cash Discount?

flyboy1818
7th May 2009, 14:39
I will shortly be starting my CPL and from visiting flight schools I see that most seem to take payment by credit card or bank transfer. In the same way as you can buy a house or a car (under 9K I believe) with cash often at a discount, do you think this approach may work for CPL training? I want to get the best value for my money possible and I am able to do this. I have also had the idea of getting a cash back credit card or AMEX and paying this back immediatley, hence benefitting from the cash back. Has anyone out there managed to haggle a cash discount?

BetpumpS
7th May 2009, 14:44
Mate,

You're not buying an old banger from a pikey from the side of a road where the seller is happy to make a loss by accepting cash rather than having a cheque that bounces!

For any half-decent FTO, there is no difference between cash or debit card. So my guess would be no.

Aerouk
7th May 2009, 15:10
I would ask for it anyway, whats the worst that could happen?

Nearly There
7th May 2009, 15:20
Some places charge 3% for using a credit card.

flyboy1818
7th May 2009, 15:23
I thought much the same, probably better to get a cash back credit card and get some money by paying it off straight away. Mind you I will try and get a discount regardless! In this environment I rekon you could get a nice deal on a CPL!

TheBeak
7th May 2009, 15:44
I doubt you could, have you read how many fools there are on here gagging to do a CPL/IR at the moment? It makes me laugh, everyone who comes on here seems to think they are being really smart by doing their training now because no one else is going to be doing it now and because the economy is going to be so much better in a year and a half (based upon nothing but hot air). The hold pools will be even bigger, the experience requirements will be even greater and the Ts and Cs will be even worse. There is no harm in trying though......Good luck to you.

Whirlygig
7th May 2009, 15:56
Whilst businesses are charged something in the region of 1% to 4% for credit/debit card transactions, they are also charged something like 50p for each cheque banked and even more if it's physical folding stuff counted and paid in.

So there's no saving for the business in dealing in cash and more inconvenience. The only way you could do it practically would be by BACS transfer via internet banking but this involves a time delay of 3 to 5 working days (unless you want to pay up front and you don't want to do that, do you?) and hence you'd need a credit account.

If I was the accountant of an FTO, I'd ask for credit/debit card and nowt else. Credit card is guaranteed; BACS not necessarily unless you did it there and then in front of them!

Cheers

Whirls

flyboy1818
7th May 2009, 16:51
Sounds like a good point to me, Beak your just totally off topic really since I started my ATPL ground exams 12 months ago. I think that most people that are starting there training now are a while off starting a CPL, they are probably doing the ground exams or a PPL. As for the economy, well the Jury is out on that one!