PDA

View Full Version : Secret Oxon heli-base safe, Belvedere scrapped

airborne_artist
7th May 2009, 14:22
BBC NEWS | England | RAF 'super base' plan is dropped (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8037034.stm)

minigundiplomat
7th May 2009, 15:16
When does the next study into closing Benson and Odiham start? In my experience, the gap between studies is always kept short enough to prevent any investment in infrastructure.

Any truth in the rumour that MQ and crumbling Barrack Blocks are being constructed at Bastion for permanent occupation by the Chinook Wg? Spouses will be invited to apply for posts in the laundry/EFI or DFAC.

airborne_artist
7th May 2009, 15:29
ISTR a thread on here that closing Odiham is complicated by the land having to revert to the previous owners at no cost, so there is no capital gain in closing it?

I'm not surprised that Benson has been saved. It's of little use to the Army given its location, size etc., and there would complications closing it and keeping the CAE sim buildings (or paying CAE huge sums to move them).

Looking forward to the extra noise when 230 re-locates there, though :ok:

minigundiplomat
7th May 2009, 15:49
ISTR a thread on here that closing Odiham is complicated by the land having to revert to the previous owners as no cost, so there is no capital gain in closing it?

I'm not surprised that Benson has been saved. It's of little use to the Army given its location, size etc., and there would complications closing it and keeping the CAE sim buildings (or paying CAE huge sums to move them).

Neither of these factors, both of which are very relevent, stopped Project Belvedere or Project Jericia from delaying investment.

GPMG
7th May 2009, 16:49
Thank god they are keeping Benson.

They do a brilliant trackday there. :ok:

ianp
7th May 2009, 18:48
On the track day thing does the mopedathon still happen?

Melchett01
7th May 2009, 18:56
Spot of good news there, although if I recall if it had ever 'closed, one suggestion was that the Army would move in with their Lyx.

However, given the desperate shortage of cash, and the fact that the outcome of Belvedere was always obvious to even the most inexperienced / short sighted / plain stupid, why the powers that be not see that and just how much money that could have gone into providing more kit for the SH force or even upgrading the accommodation at Benson?

seafuryfan
7th May 2009, 20:47
"It is now apparent that efficiencies that could be achieved from a major rationalisation programme would not produce the necessary return on the significant investment that would be required to implement change.

"We have therefore decided that to continue Programme Belvedere does not represent best value for money for the department and the programme is to close with immediate effect."

...or in other words,

"The programme's too expensive, so it'll be closed immediately."

60 words vs 10.