PDA

View Full Version : Inflight Diversions...

Inbound Outbound
7th May 2009, 03:35
G'day all,

Just wanted to know your ways/steps on planning an inflight diversion:

For e.g.

1. Estimate heading, turn towards that heading and start/note the time.
2. Get the ruler and protractor out and measure distance, heading and then calculate the ETA to your destination.
3. Mark your 6 minute/10 mile markers.
4. Amend the flight with ATC (e.g. flightwatch or MEL CEN)

Kind Regards,

In Out.

PercyWhino
7th May 2009, 04:04
Direct To button!

By the sounds of it i am guessing you are a student.

I seem to remember being taught

1) Pull out your WAC i am here and i want to go here, guess the distance/heading turn onto it
2) work out a rough estimate
3) advise flightwatch of flightplan amendment
4) pull out ruler measure the track and distance and work out an accurate ETA

Remember its not rocket science. Remember to keep flying the aeroplane

Aviate Navigate Communicate.

ZKSTF
7th May 2009, 04:17
I would probably consider/review weather and fuel before drawing lines on your chart etc.

ie. Is the weather any good where I intend to go? Even if it is, do I have enough fuel to get there?

Just my thoughts though.......

Inbound Outbound
7th May 2009, 04:39
Thanks for the advice so far!
And yes Percy you guessed right i am a SPL holder.
...Just wanting to learn from the experienced.

Dave Incognito
7th May 2009, 05:57
Don't forget to cross check the ERC so you don't bust straight through a restricted/controlled area...

WillMac
7th May 2009, 06:46
I was taught this check to make sure everything was fine

Wind/weather
Airspace
NOTAMs
Daylight
Endurance
Radio (Flightwatch)

Stopped me thinking --> Now what have I forgotten...

SM227
7th May 2009, 08:18
First actions vary, if you are close to a control zone, you may want to check airspace before you start blasting off in another direction, if its a big diversion, check fuel/wind and weather first, you dont want to turn then discover 5min later that the wx is terrible or you dont have fuel when you eventually get to working it out properly! Also consider what you are flying over (overwater, do you have life jackets? tiger country, high terrain and low cloud bases hanging around, etc.)
But generally, consider the above, get rough figures and then advise atc and start to re-work everything accurately.

compressor stall
7th May 2009, 08:35
Work out exactly where you are and write it down along with the time before you divert.

bentleg
7th May 2009, 10:30
You usually don't have to divert immediately. Declare to the instructor that you intend to divert at the next landmark XXXX, gives you time to get organised, to consider the issues already raised, before you actually divert. And note the time and place of diversion plus heading taken.

Inbound Outbound
7th May 2009, 11:01
Thanks for the good advice!

pois0n i agree with you about not getting a rule out as it's abit of a hassle!

WillMac, thats a fantastic check to remember when doing a diversion as it covers everything... Thanks for that mate :ok:

thanks for all your advice so far,

In Out

DH 200'
7th May 2009, 12:36
A pencil you use in flight with 10 mile markers around it works fine for distances and ETA calculations. Just be sure to have 3 marks on it so all your VTC's, VNC's & WAC's are covered.

CirrusSR22T
7th May 2009, 23:45
Make sure you have enough fuel for your diversion!! a "friend" of mine was overhead Lismore and was asked to divert to Tamworth on a PPL Test, He went blasting of in that directon :{ , ATO took over and headed back to YBAF :(.

VH-XXX
7th May 2009, 23:55
Willmac (and others) are on the money.

One of the main things that people miss with a diversion is the airspace. 9 out of 10 times if it can be arranged, your diversion will normally take you through some piece of controlled, restricted or Notamed airspace that in the heat of the moment you may forget about and using your WAC won't tell you where it is!

Atlas Shrugged
11th May 2009, 03:57
A pencil you use in flight with 10 mile markers around it works fine

I remember having made little paddle pop sticks with 10 mile markers on them which I used to keep in my top pocket!

brns2
11th May 2009, 13:35
One thing you can do is just look at you chart... 1deg of lattitude = 60nm

No need for pencils or rulers