PDA

View Full Version : Former F27 pilots - an opportunity.

Eastwest Loco
6th May 2009, 09:05
I did actually speak to one of the esteemed Woomeri regarding this before I loaded it, so I do so without any qualms.

Just recieved a stunning resin model of VH-TQN (F27-600 and a rare bird in itself) from a bloke in New Zealand.

First one auctioned off for $327.00 including shipping and there are 2 left.

They are about 13" in fuselage length, around 14.5" in wingspan boxed in a plain white box with no markings at all to identify the maker.

There is no doubt that this has been an Airline order from TN and these models have turned left somewhere and wound up in the back of a disused office in NZ. As there has been no known F27 mould over the last 20 years one would consider these to have been a TN mid/late 60's marketing tool.

VH-TFM was the first of the Quick Change F27s but I am led top believe it was ordered as a standard 200 series, but was amended to QC while in production so TQN was the first QC - how it was a 600 series is a mystery to me but would love to know - may have been a hull taken over from an Airline that defaulted.

Bottom line is there are 2 available at an asking price of AUD300.00 including Australian delivery which takes about 7 days including weekends.

I would not load this in here if I did not have fond memories of the little Dutch lady and know many of you may have cut your teeth on her and her sister ships.

If you flick me an email at [email protected] I can forward a pic. Sorry - I cannot figue out how to give you a direct link.

Apologies for the intrusion, but a chance like this doesn't come up often.

Best all

EWL

CharlieLimaX-Ray
6th May 2009, 09:22
Another Friendship model is about to be released by Airfix and is for an Ansett version from the 1960's.

Also I believe that a range of Australian made decals are about to come on the market and these include the East-West Friendships and DC-3.

tea & bikkies
6th May 2009, 09:22
VH-TQN was a dog to fly in a previous life as a dash 8 100 series, cant speak of its previous previous life,,, come to think of it most of the 100 series dash were not much better:E

Eastwest Loco
6th May 2009, 09:53
CL X-ray

This aint Airfix - solid resin model and completed not needing decals.

Desktop models are the best of the 67 airliners in my office, not counting the 4 at home and 3 in the cupboard at work.

Thanks for the heads up though mate - their have been some interesting strips over the years, but manual dexterity is not my long suit.

Bikkes

I have flown on the Sunnies/Eastern TQN and believe the TN original was a much more pleasant aeroplane. TQN was one of the fleet that aqtually tried not to break, where some others would go U/S if you looked at them sideways.

They were a great workmanlike aeroplane our old Dutch dog whistles.

Best all

EWL

Eastwest Loco
6th May 2009, 10:03
Go to Ebay.com.au and type 160329400054 into the search box.

I lucked out with a high early bid nobody picked. Mine was around $193 and previous was $323.

This was such a great find I just shut up about it until I had it, knowing there were acouple more to go.

Best all

EWL

tinpis
6th May 2009, 10:05
Most F-27s would have flown worse than a resin model.

tea & bikkies
6th May 2009, 10:09
EWL.... Yes I remember TQN when it first arrived from Germany, with all those funny german decals. Yes, when she was running well it was like a well worn shoe to fly..... very comfortable.:ok: TQO serial Number 3, was the other well worn shoe.

tea & bikkies
6th May 2009, 10:21
Interesting to note the model as listed shows the props in feather.. if my memory serves me correctly, the old darts shutdown in fine:)

tail wheel
6th May 2009, 11:53
http://i15.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/2b/b8/2a64_1.JPG

Eastwest Loco
6th May 2009, 13:16
Thanks Taily for posting the pic. I could not figure out how to.

You are correct Bikkies, they did shut down in fine.

On one occasion Fatty Hawkins feathered on shutdown at WNY and then could not get the props back out of feather.

One engineer visit and passenger transfer later ...........

D'oh!

Best regards

EWL

Eastwest Loco
7th May 2009, 11:14
One is on its way to the Qantas Museum at Longreach.

Get yourself there - it is amazing to say the least.

If you want the last one, give me a yell and I will get it on its way as Tony is holding it for PPRuNers. He was amazed that we could move one so quickly.

I am sure he can sell it at a good price on Ebay, but it would be nice if the last went to person who had a solid connection to the TN F27 - God bless them.

Best all

EWL

maui
7th May 2009, 13:13
Not only is it inappropriately shutdown in feather position, it appears to have rounded proptips. TQN (the original one) had square tips.
Also something doesn't gel WRT the spinners, but I can't put my finger on it.

Maui

tinpis
7th May 2009, 19:23
http://images.absoluteastronomy.com/images/encyclopediaimages/r/ro/rolls-royce_dart_fokker_f_27.jpg:hmm:

A dogwhistle, but an extremely complicated one..

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources/dft_avsafety_pdf_500083.pdf

Eastwest Loco
7th May 2009, 23:56
The 100 series - TF series excluding TFM had the rounded prop tips with the 200 and above bearing squared off ends.

Best all

EWL

tinpis
8th May 2009, 05:34
A Dart fix for those with some hearing left...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vycf4odW1_Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vycf4odW1_Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Eastwest Loco
8th May 2009, 13:21
Oh Tinpis

I had forgotten how much I loved the sound of the F27 starting up - brought a tear.

What a wonderful girl they were.

Ausflyer

Sent message to the dude in NZ and $300 should be good, but please do not send to the account I listed until I have confirmation and your address for delivery.

Best regards all

EWL

Eastwest Loco
9th May 2009, 13:39
There may be a couple more.

Please advise if you are interested.

Best all

EWL

UTW
9th May 2009, 15:06
Would somebody please explain the third oil line .......again!!!

Eastwest Loco
10th May 2009, 11:31
Have confirmed there are only 2 more remaining- there were 5 initially.

$300.00 Aussie delivered.

They are a delightful blast from the past.

Best all

EWL

Fris B. Fairing
11th May 2009, 05:43
EWL

That's not a delightful blast from the past. This is a delightful blast from the past.

http://www.adastron.com/aviation/vault/F27-VH-EWA.jpg

Rgds
The Other Loco Ron

Eastwest Loco
11th May 2009, 09:20
That is Gold Ron.

Not many of the F27's that graced our skies entered without the radome and EWA was one of the few. VH-TFA was ordered without the wx radar, but was redesegnated late in the production line. Hence she was delayed and the ill fated VH-TFB was first into service. Lost off MKY with all souls aboard. TN were not good with first of type aeroplanes.

You just gotta luv the 100 series - 780 gallons underwing, and an extra 30 to 810 with an overwing topup. We needed it some days too.

Magnificent pic mate, and it is nice there is still someone else out there that can drop a line on a manual load and trim sheet.

Best regards

EWL

I guess I am the other other Ron that can.

ps: Just had a closer look!! Guess what the dude on the ladder is doing! He is obviously pumping in the last 30 gallons owerwing!! Must have been a dirty day in Armidale or TMW. now there is accidental Gold!!

best all

EWL

Eastwest Loco
12th May 2009, 10:58
:ok:One of the last 2 has sold.

Just one of the girls left.

It has been amazing. i have been contacted by the family of one of the crew that delivered TQN ex Schipol, and another whose Dad delivered TQN back to Britain flying in tandem with TQP.

Even received some exerpts from the flight log and am looking forward to many more of the return flight.

True "Boys Own Annual" stuff and spellbinding thinking of our little blue ladies flying in loose formation out over the Indian Ocean.

Give me a yell if you want the last girl.

TQN was delivered in 1968 and it is most likely the models were made '67-68.

Last resin F27 mold was destroyed over 20 years ago so there aint no tomorrow.

Best all

EWL
(with a heap of The friendly Way in the pedigree):ok:

Gearupandorrf
12th May 2009, 11:32
Hi EWL,

Mate please put me down for the final Model.
This will go with the other 300+ mostly Australian Models in my collection.
How do we hook this up??

Cheers,
Gearup.

Eastwest Loco
12th May 2009, 11:59
Hi Gearup

Tried to reply to your email and crashed and burned on the address.

If you want this UK delivered it will be extra and I will have to advise that. Aussie delivered is the $300.00. A little volumetric with a large protective box etc.

Please advise another email and I will send details there, but for record bank details are

Jetset Travel
Operating Account
Commonwealth Bank
Rooke Mall
Devonport TAS 7310
Account 067-402 1026 0461

B/h +61 364 233244
A/h +61 419 323989

Best regards

Ron

EWL

Stationair8
12th May 2009, 12:16
Notam issued for Devonport,

Temporary Obstruction Bay 1 05121200/1400
A gentleman will be standing on the bay holding his Fokker F-27 model and playing a DVD of a Rolls Royce Dart starting up. He will then ask his mate Oggie in the old flight service unit for a clearance for YMML. He will then look into the full moon and thank the good Lord for giving us wonderful aircraft such as the mighty DC-3, Vickers Viscount, Fokker F-27, F-28 and the BAE-146, the great pilots that flew these mighty machines and great airlines such as East-West, TAA and Ansett. He will then pick up his model and stroll past the Dash8 and jump into his Nissan sports car and drive off into the darkness, and mutter something about R.J.Hawke being a c@#t.

Notam will expire at midnight.

Eastwest Loco
12th May 2009, 13:01
Stationair

The Z Twin Turbo is warmed up - TQN model is in the passenger seat, Bodgie is still a self lubricating female body part and we are good to go.

The echoes of those that went before are strong at every airport in Australia, probably mostly so at Essendon. You only have to let yourself hear them. They are in every corner of evey building and hangar.

The Notam will never expire, until the last of us leave the terminal area.

I can just see Oggie standing on the remains of the FSU tower on a concrete floor with no FSU around him with a pair of Binocs in one hand and a cup of java in the other.

I will see him tomorrow night at the RSL and relate this. He will love it.

Currently 8 Oct at around 5000 ft, CAV Ok. Squalls in the area - just another night in heaven.

Best all

EWL

Stationair8
12th May 2009, 13:06
Does he still drive the brown Ford F100 with the canopy on the back?

Eastwest Loco
12th May 2009, 13:09
The F100 has gone to God as far as I am aware, as he seems to be in something sedanish now.

I will ask after its fate for you.

I would reckon ferous oxide won the day in the end as it had its share.

Best regards

EWL

Eastwest Loco
14th May 2009, 11:16
Gearup - I need to lock and load the last one - Other 3 are on their way to the recipients.

I need deposit confirmation into our account - but AFTER getting a heads up on country of delivery with full delivery address. This may affect the delivery price so a quick heads up would be good.

Quick advice would be appreciated.

Your email is cactus - please advise alternate asap.

Best regards

Ron

Gearupandorrf
14th May 2009, 12:21
Hi Ron,

I'm located in Melbourne- Postcode 3136.
My email is [email protected]

I shot you through a personal message last night with details- didn't make it through to you by the sounds of it.

Just to confirm- the $300 will include Post to that Postcode?

Cheers,
Gearup.