PDA

View Full Version : Microlight on Video

EGCA
5th May 2009, 18:25
Anyone care to comment on this youtube video from the weekend?

YouTube - 35028 Goring 2 5 09 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlzDXsq3k8o)

EGCA

Utrinque Apparatus
5th May 2009, 19:39
I enjoyed that ! The video I mean............................:E

katana 1
5th May 2009, 19:44
If that is real I think you may have lost him/her their licence

Blues&twos
5th May 2009, 19:48
Gatehampton bridge I think, built by Brunel in 1838. What was the loco?

EDIT...Katana 1 - I think the pilot might be somewhat more culpable.

Mike Parsons
5th May 2009, 19:53
yes, 500' rule anyone!?

Them thar hills
5th May 2009, 19:56
B2
FWIW The loco was a Thompson B1. 4-6-0 "Mayflower" now preserved at Carnforth.
Just so you know !
:)

Blues&twos
5th May 2009, 20:09
Thanks TTH.

percy prentice
5th May 2009, 20:11
I would have been chuffed to have videod that. I think that the knob flying the microlight needs more training!

Seriously though I hope he gets caught & grounded before he causes damage to others.

samo457
5th May 2009, 21:42
Wow Percy I wish my eyesight was as good as yours, you know being able to see the reg of that particular CFM Shadow and identify it as a microlight instead of one of the many number of GA versions is a real talent :rolleyes:..........I mean its not as if a 'proper' pilot (I guess this is what you think since you mentioned training) would ever break the law like that........... icing on the cake is to assume it's a male pilot, next time make a prediction about the pilot's ethnic origin at the same time and you'll have a full house :ok:

charliegolf
5th May 2009, 22:04
I reckon he was making a legal approach to that big field, got spooked by the train, overshot, levelled a bit low before climbing to 500 feet for another go. No probs?

CG

Blues&twos
5th May 2009, 22:39
That'll be the big field with the borehole works in the middle of it, or the river on the other side of the railway?

TURIN
5th May 2009, 23:37
When you see footage on the telly of trains going flat out across bridges and wotnot, is that all filmed illegally or do they get some sort of special permission?

Just asking. :bored:

EGCA
6th May 2009, 07:47
Blues& twos:

Loco is "Clan Line", a Merchant Navy class pacific, based in London for working special trains, mainly posh luncheon trains for a firm called VSOE.

EGCA

HighQ
6th May 2009, 08:02
Judging by the small size of the wing, and the apparent speed, I reckon it is a Streak Shadow. I base this on my estimation that the train is doing about 70mph, yet the Shadow is able to pull away from it with ease. Having seen both the microlight version and the Streak flying together, I don't think the microlight Shadow can accelerate that quickly and easily from 70 up to over 80mph, but the Streak with its smaller thinner wing can.

This would of course mean it is a GA version, and therefore cannot be flown by a microlight pilot.

So the knob flying the GA aircraft should perhaps get more training, eh Percy?

patowalker
6th May 2009, 08:26
Here is another perspective, posted on the BMAA forum. Thanks David.

Rail-Videos.Net » Merchant Navy Pacific on Pullmans (http://www.rail-videos.net/video/view.php?id=5575)

The Shadow is visible from 06s to 19s. The hill the other video was taken from is clearly visible too.

Donald

percy prentice
6th May 2009, 10:09
I mean its not as if a 'proper' pilot (I guess this is what you think since you mentioned training)

Sorry, that comment was probably a little too dry for you, it was supposed to be a pun, chuffed & training & due to my spotter skills not being very good I should have refered to it as a flying machine, so apologies to all of those people that seemed to be offended especially samo457 as this was your 1st post on the forum.
Turin you can get CAA exemptions to do this sort of filming but I have a feeling that they have to be from at least a public transport cat aircraft with a suitably commercially qualified pilot & only down to something like 200 feet, but I am sure that the distance this cabbage crate was to the train this probably would not have been legal even with permissions.

patowalker
6th May 2009, 10:59
Percy,

Have you watched the other video?

Donald

percy prentice
6th May 2009, 17:46
Patowalker, er yes I have although I must admit I am not really into chuff chuffs myself.

If you are infering that the footage was taken at the same time, how do you explain the shadow of the shadow or whatever it is being so close to the train in the first clip?

Aha got you....or have I ?! ?!

Are you responsible for the Apollo photo's with strange shadows & flags moving ? !

This plot thickens I would say !

Daysleeper
6th May 2009, 18:29
how do you explain the shadow of the shadow or whatever it is being so close to the train in the first clip?

Telephoto would do it every time. Stuffs the perspective. From the head on shot it looks quite well displaced laterally. (500 ft lateral is acceptable remember)

Jucky
6th May 2009, 18:31
They are completely different aircraft. The first video is a Shadow of some sort with what clearly sounds like a 2 stroke engine. The second video, looks like a Cessna although it is hard to tell. However the engine sound in the second video is clearly a 4 stroke, either a Lycoming or Continental of some sort.

gasax
6th May 2009, 18:32
Don't expect rationality here. Remember everything is illegal, irresponsible and causes outrage - you'll never prove otherwise!

woodpecker
6th May 2009, 20:28
From the head on shot it looks quite well displaced laterally

When "they" passed through our village, South Stoke, the airborne part of the duet was about 50 feet above the train, most certainly not offset. Appalling.

The hill the other video was taken from is clearly visible too.

I beg to disagree, The first video with the duet crossing Gatehampton Bridge was taken from the high ground to the East of the line. The second video from the "Leathern Bottle" bridge (between Goring and South Stoke) is looking South so the hills to the right of the shot are above Streatley on the Western side of the railway. The location that the first video was taken from, about two miles distant, is behind the trees on the left of the shot.

hatzflyer
7th May 2009, 11:30
I hope my lycoming don't sound like that !(btw thread drift...) I used to own a Percival Prentice, it took up loads of room,was very thirsty,weighed a ton and was very slow....Any resemblance Percy?:rolleyes:

percy prentice
7th May 2009, 21:48
Hatzflyer, yes I remember you, I always new that you never loved or cared for me & discarded me as soon as you had chance...tee hee !

Last posting for me on this subject, but I do hope that the idiot doing this stunt does not repeat it or does something else stupid & causes a mishap.

J.A.F.O.
8th May 2009, 09:02
An absolutely appalling lack of airmanship, everyone knows that if you hop from one side of the train to the other you can get the passengers running from window to window and get the whole train rocking. That bridge looked like the perfect opportunity which this microlight pilot missed, disgraceful.