PDA

View Full Version : Linking different websites

CEJM
5th May 2009, 15:42
I have got a company website (.com) with a foreign webhost. Now i would like to expand my business into the UK so need to get a website with an .co.uk extension. Unfortunately my current webhost doesn't provide this extension.

If I sign up with a different webhost to get the .co.uk extension can I link it to my .com website? I.E. that when you go to the .co.uk website it will automatically transfer you to my .com website?

Or do I need to move both my extensions .co.uk & .com to the same webhost? The contract with my old webhost runs for another year and I am happy with their service so it would be a schame if I have to leave them.

Thanks for your help.

Saab Dastard
5th May 2009, 15:57
Why do you need a new webhost?

You should be able to register your .co.uk domain with a suitable registrar in the UK and simply have the DNS for that domain point to your current website (possibly a UK landing page).

SD

CEJM
5th May 2009, 16:06
SD,

Need a new webhost because my current one does not provide the .co.uk extension. My current webhost is based in The Netherlands and I now need a .co.uk extension for the company's activities in the UK.

CEJM

Saab Dastard
5th May 2009, 21:23
My point is this - your website has an IP address, and there is a DNS entry existing that maps a .com address to that website IP address.

You can use DNS to map any other name(s) you like to that IP address, so you can get a UK-based domain registrar to register the .co.uk name for you, pointing its DNS entry to the existing website IP address. 1 IP address, 2 DNS names. Job done.

SD

Hyph
6th May 2009, 14:49
CEJM, it sounds very much like you know what you want, but don't quite know how to achieve it.

For those of us in the business, it's very straightforward and exactly as Saab Dastard has described it.

However, if you don't know how or where to create the DNS records, you're stuck.

Feel free to PM me if you need help.

Keef
6th May 2009, 19:45
It is indeed as easy as SD says. I have several domains registered which are purely "forwarders" (very cheap, that way!). They forward to different pages on my main ISP. Very easy to do, hard to describe.

It's possible to set them up to show the domain name you want, rather than the one actually connected, in the URL box. Try EssexMan (http://www.essexman.org.uk/) which is an example of that.

Anyone who really wanted to know could find out quickly where that actually goes, but the casual customer is happy.

CEJM
15th May 2009, 17:50
My sincere apologies for my late reply.

I would like to thank you all for your advice.

The problem has now been solved by my current webhost. They knew a way so that he could still get the .co.uk extension.

Again, thank you all for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Saab Dastard
15th May 2009, 18:26
Good to hear that it is successfully resolved.

SD