PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Oxford books, Bristol QB and CAA exams!

tigermagicjohn
5th May 2009, 15:30
I wonder if some others can please help to enlighten me, I have just recently gone trough the whole Oxford book of POF, I have to prepare for all 14 exams at the same time, however that is not the issue.
During review I started doing mock exams from Bristol QB, and found that of the 44 questions I would normally end up with around 55 - 75%, and I found this very frustrating after going trough the cement block of a book from Oxford.
Now I started to retake the mock exams in the Bristol QB straight away, and on second attempt I would end up on 95 - 97%. (which is not bad)
However if I attempt to do the total Bristol QB, around 636 questions, I believe I probably will be able to learn the answers on the 2.nd of 3.rd attempt - however is the Bristol QB very close to the official CAA exams?
I have been told by previous students that Gen.Nav, Instrumentation and Flight planning are different, but that subjects like POF are very similar. Can anybody please help to enlighten me.
Having also used Oxford question bank, many of their questions are different from Bristol QB.
Now I know most people on here say Bristol QB is the best one, but can someone who have recently taken their exams please comment.
Also after having gone trough 524 A4 pages of Oxford POF, I was shocked to just get around 55 - 70% on first attempt of mock exam, are there anyone else who can please share their experience, or am I just dumb?:ugh:

Boeing 77W
5th May 2009, 20:25
I would say that the internal Oxford feedback is harder than the JAA stuff, if you have time to look at it then do as it helps you get a better understanding but only do from question 431 onwards.

I sat POF in April and I have to say it was pretty much all Bristol (I did the Bristol POF questions three/four times), however I spoke to a guy who came out of the exam today and he thought that quite a chunk of it was all brand new. Every exam is going to be different.

Don't think you're being dumb. At the start of revision I was getting around 70% on mock exams, I passed the exam in the upper end of 90%

captain_rossco
5th May 2009, 21:55
Most people add 20% plus to their Oxford mock exams during their JARs. Worry not, in a years time you'll helping other people out.!

:ok:

Regards
CR