PDA

View Full Version : Lyneham Closure Date

Gainesy
5th May 2009, 15:08
31 December 2012. :mad:

BREAKING NEWS: RAF Lyneham to close (From Swindon Advertiser) (http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/4343527.BREAKING_NEWS__RAF_Lyneham_to_close/)

airborne_artist
5th May 2009, 15:19
Just enough time to re-surface the runway and re-furb all the accom blocks and FQs then....

Tiger16
5th May 2009, 16:09
On a related subject: following the recent, unlamented demise of Project Belvedere, does anyone know the latest thinking amongst the great-and-good regarding future JHC basing options?

VinRouge
5th May 2009, 16:20
Thats a GREAT date to spoil Christmas and New Year for all those involved in the closing ceremony.

Any word on where they are going to accommodate us all over at Brize, or is this another one of those problems with 'Future Brize' that has yet again, fell through the cracks?

racedo
5th May 2009, 16:40
Sad day as the boring journey along M4 gets brightened up when seeing an aircraft appear within the hills.

Geezers of Nazareth
5th May 2009, 17:20
RyanAir start flying from 'Swindon International' on 1st January 2013. :rolleyes:

101BOY
5th May 2009, 17:28
'Breaking news' - is that something you can really rely on the Swindon Advertiser to bring you? :rolleyes:

ZH875
5th May 2009, 17:50
2012.....I think the blocks will take longer than that......

airborne_artist
5th May 2009, 18:00
RyanAir start flying from 'Swindon International' on 1st January 2013Nah - Ryanair will call it one/all of Bristol, London, Birmingham or Southampton. It's within 75 miles of them, surely, which counts?

vernon99
5th May 2009, 18:57
Would not be a bad idea, M4 is very close, just build a new junction off M4 for airport. The main railway from London to Bristol is inbetween M4 and Lyneham, add a new station and voila London Swindon airport will be ready for Ryanair/Easyjet.

Oh silly me this is the UK, probably turn it into a pikey park!

Grimweasel
5th May 2009, 19:47
Well, there will be a change of Government before then- still not 100% closing in my eyes as local TORY MP has fought LF to keep it open.
Strange that Labour MP lives very close to Odius - all party politics, LOB

Doesn't mean there is now an 'open purse' for updating infrastructure etc at Odius or Benson as we sit under JHC; and they have Army barracks that are a lot more 'austere' than the 2 RAF bases!!

Grabbers
5th May 2009, 20:02
It looks like Carterton will have to build a few more static caravan parks then. MoD housing not ready shocker.

Herc-u-lease
5th May 2009, 22:45
I particularly loved the comment below the article from one of the readers who blamed the base officers. That's right, the Stn Cdr has personally decided to move the base and disadvantage everyone because he can simply move on.:) I suppose he would be considered military "Top Brass" by the Sun. It was rather pleasing to see someone actually observe it is a little higher up the food chain than anyone based there.

I remember when the Wokka ASF moved to Fleetlands. The lads there really enjoyed the early morning bus rides from Odiham MQs - awesome.

Rubb hangars and temp portacabin accn - my favourite.

Would you like a hint of sarcasm with your post Sir?