PDA

View Full Version : Basair - Diploma Course

Benjonat
5th May 2009, 03:26
I am currently completing my HSC and looking to enrol in the Diploma Course offered by Basair in 2010.

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone that is currently completing the course, or has recently done so. There appears to be a mix of positive and negative information about Basair, and hopefully some first hand experiences will help me with my decision.

Thanks

Benjonat

DUXNUTZ
5th May 2009, 03:49
Look up to the top of the page and spy the 'search' tool. Lots of stuff on this before.

What you will find is that the school has become highly focused on international students in the last few years and the need to punch out as many as possible with somewhat questionable standards of quality.

I'd go for the university option or go through a flying club (scoffields or the like) where there is more focus on the bread and butter weekend students.

Definitely do your research and don't get sucked into a program where you pay in advance, as obviously you lose much ability to up and leave when the going gets cr@p or if you find it hard to reserve aircraft for lessons (hint hint basair).

I did a diploma and this was before the intake of foreign training and it was bad then, can't imagine what its like now.

oh and think about this. There isn't a whole bunch of jobs out there right now and the world market for pilots is in a state of up-heavel with a general downward swirl of pay and conditions. Maybe it would be advised to talk to some people in the industry and find out how tough it is to get to a decent paying gig reference to other industries and then maybe start out with some lessons and see if you like it, before handing over handfuls of cash.

coke drinker
5th May 2009, 06:10
Don't. Just Don't.

Benjonat
5th May 2009, 07:49
Coke Drinker,

Any particular reason why you give that advice? Happy to get a PM from you if that would be easier.

Thanks

Benjonat

mcgrath50
5th May 2009, 09:21
Use the search function, read the post above, stay away.

Go to Schoefields, UNSW if you want a degree (as a goal/experience, it has no real advantages in industry), C&H are also meant to be good as is a place at Camden that I can't remember if that's more your thing.

b_sta
5th May 2009, 10:28
Curtis.

Basically, just go to a real non-sausage-based flight school.

das Uber Soldat
5th May 2009, 10:43
These threads are pointless. Seperate from the fact that its been done 320 times before, all you get are the respective groupies and naysayers of said company putting in their 2 cents. (stay tuned as I add my own 2 cents now :})

Personally I think its hardly matters, the quality of your training is down to the individual instructor you get. You can get a good one at any school, you can get a bad one at any school.

I agree with the concept of avoiding the places that are focussing on international students though. And I'd look for somewhere that has decent planes that are clean.

Have fun.

tail wheel
5th May 2009, 10:57
Oh, dear, not again............ :uhoh:

I think this sums it up:
These threads are pointless. Seperate from the fact that its been done 320 times before, all you get are the respective groupies and naysayers of said company putting in their 2 cents.

Search (http://www.pprune.org/search.php?searchid=5276029) is your friend!! More threads than I can count......... (Click on the link.)

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: