PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Rating Dilemma - HELP !

silent_scream
4th May 2009, 15:00
Good Evening Every One.

Scenario -
Indian CPL + Multi Engine IFR Holder. 250 Hours Flying Experience. (Yes...Yet another one of them)
The Multi Engine Instrument Rating (A/C more than 5700 Kg's) on my Indian CPL is lapsing very soon.
Before my Multi IFR, I had a Single Engine IFR on my CPL.
Now I am unable to renew my Instrument Rating on the Multi Engine Aircraft and hence I wish to get a single engine IFR to keep my rating current.

Problems -

Q1. Is it possible that I can actually renew my Single IFR ? If yes, whats the requirement ?
(Last check on Single Engine A/C was 2 years back, after that I did it on the Multi)

Q2. If I renew Single IFR, will it "CANCEL" or Jeopardize my Multi Engine Type rating in any form ?
(I hear this from fellow Indian Aviators and what it literally means is that if I fly a Single Engine now, To fly a Multi later on, I will have to do the whole Multi 'TYPE Rating' all over again).

Example - If one is flying a Boeing or Airbus commercially , and one fine day feels like soaring the Cessna 152, He/ She cannot fly the Cessna and Log times in their Logbooks without getting their Jet A/C type rating lapsed ?

Q3. And say I get a Single IFR on my CPL. In future what do I have to do to get the Multi IFR back on?
(Additional Simulator Hours or Whole Instrument Rating Requirement on Multi again ?)

Please consider in all scenarios, the A/C is above 5700 Kg's. And Problem is geographically located in India.

Solution - :confused:

I searched the CAR's. Couldn't get any help from there. Any input will be Greatly appreciated.

Safe Landings !

silent_scream
6th May 2009, 17:11
No answer with DGCA, neither on PPRuNe?
Wonder where I'd go searching for the solution.

ruslan1
6th May 2009, 18:35
why don t you try asking someone on indianaviators.com. I m sure someone or the other should be able to help you out

vinayak
6th May 2009, 19:10
Ey! I am a little confused here but this is what I could make out.

Your IR is on a multi aircraft with an all up weight of more than 5700KG
True?

Aircraft Rules, 1937 Schedule II- Aircraft personnel

Section O Para 5

The holder of an instrument rating on aeroplanes having all-up-weight exceeding 5700 Kgs. shall exercise privileges of his instrument rating only on the type of aeroplane on which the instrument rating flight test has been satisfactorily carried out.

Provided also that, notwithstanding anything said herein before, the holder of an instrument rating on any multi-engine aeroplane may exercise the privileges of Instrument Rating on any single engine aeroplane entered in the aircraft rating of his licence.

Since you have multi engine aircraft endorsed on your license, it was never required for you to have a single engine aircraft to be on the license.

Now type rating and instrument rating are completely different so I am not sure as to what the discussion is on indian aviators.

You can get the IR on the single engine but this will not allow you to exercise your Instrument Rating privileges on the Multi Engine aircraft. It can be done the other way around as mentioned in the para above.

gottofly
7th May 2009, 04:21
u cant fly different a/c in India unless u hav an open rating.
ur multi rating will not be a problem but airlines ask for multi IR,so urmulti w/o ir wonte much sense but u can get ur s.e ir to atleast have ur ir current.just my 2 cents bro.good luck :ok:

silent_scream
7th May 2009, 17:03
why don t you try asking someone on indianaviators.com. I m sure someone or the other should be able to help you outThanks Ruslan1, I will do that.
Your IR is on a multi aircraft with an all up weight of more than 5700KG
True?Vinayak. Thanks for your time.
True. IR on Multi more than 5700 Kgs. But it expired some days back. And I can't renew it. (Please don't ask me why :() So the Privileges mentioned in Section II of A/C Act are not useful.

So now I want to renew my IR on a Single Engine. And I cannot find a relevant document for the same.

Aircraft Rules, 1937 Schedule II- Aircraft personnel

Section O Para 3

3. Renewal— The Instrument Rating may be renewed on receipt of satisfactory evidence of the
applicant :
(a) having satisfactorily completed the Instrument Rating Flight Test as laid down
in para 1(e).

1(e) Skill— He shall have demonstrated to the satisfaction of the Examiner his
competency to fly an aeroplane in respect of which Instrument Rating is desired,
solely with the aid of instruments by undergoing an instrument flying test within a
period of six months immediately preceding the date of application for the rating.
The flying test shall be carried out in accordance with the syllabus as prescribed by the Director-General. The Director-General may, however, allow such tests or
part thereof to be carried out on an approved simulator for the type of aircraft.

Using the above document, If my IR has lapsed already, I just have to do a Flight test with an Instructor and demonstrate the skill ?

Also my CPL is valid for the Next 4 years. And my IR lapses every year. If am not flying, just one Flying test every year is enough to renew my IFR throught ? (I fear I might forget a few things about the aircraft with that time period on ground).

u cant fly different a/c in India unless u hav an open rating.
ur multi rating will not be a problem but airlines ask for multi IR,so urmulti w/o ir wonte much sense but u can get ur s.e ir to atleast have ur ir current.just my 2 cents bro.good luck http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gifThanks Gottofly. What you say is correct.

Silent.