PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Display teams at Oakington and Swinderby

Vampiredave
4th May 2009, 09:51
Can anyone help me identify the members of the following Vampire formation aerobatic teams?

1958: Four Vampire 5 / 9s of No.5 FTS Oakington, possibly led by Flt Lt Langley.

1958: Four Vampire T.11s of No.8 FTS, Swinderby

1959: Four Vampire T.11s of No. 5 FTS Oakington.

As an aside, did 231 OCU have 'regular' Canberra display teams?

Thank you in advance for any help that you provide

brakedwell
4th May 2009, 12:52
I passed out from Swinderby in August 1957 and remember Flt Lt D.L. ( Moose) Davies did the solo aerobatic shows for passing out parades etc. It is likely he was also part of the team. He also thrilled the crowd by banging out of a T11 when it burst into flames near the top of a loop!

Flarkey
4th May 2009, 13:24
I passed out from Swinderby in August 1957 and remember Flt Lt D.L. ( Moose) Davies did the solo aerobatic shows for passing out parades etc. It is likely he was also part of the team. He also thrilled the crowd by banging out of a T11 when it burst into flames near the top of a loop!

Did he do that at every display?

Pontius Navigator
4th May 2009, 13:48

I think so. I remember a display at Finningley, I guess 1965, where the Canberra did an immaculate display in not very good weather. Many of the crowd were in the beer tent and those that watched the display probably missed a very niffy piece of flying.

The aircraft had pulled into a loop and rolled off the top at about 1000 feet. As he rolled, still inverted, he 'lowered' the undercarriage before returning either to land or do a slow pass. Not many noticed the undercarriage extension.

brakedwell
4th May 2009, 14:50
Did he do that at every display?

Not after he gave up smoking! :cool::cool::cool:

kenparry
5th May 2009, 10:22

Yes, but not sure of the dates. I remember seeing a 4-ship from there around 1960, and a few years later served with a Sqn Ldr Colin Barwell, who I understand had been team leader about that time.

BSweeper
5th May 2009, 21:20
I seem to remember that Sqn Ldr "Gentleman" Jim Cox telling me that he lead the official Canberra 4-ship display team in the 60s. He was one of the best pilots I ever flew with and a perfect example to all the young, and generally ex Vulcan, pilots on 7 Sqn in the early 70s. A great person of whom I have many fond memories.