PDA

View Full Version : Multi Crew Co-operation Qualification - Military Exemptions?

ralphmalph
4th May 2009, 08:04
Does anyone have any details on the CAA guidelines for giving Military aircrew MCC exemptions?.

I know of a couple of people 2 years ago who left and were given a "by".

Trying to work out the most cost effective way to get my License using ELC and resettlement grants. I can do the license for pennys....but not the MCC within this financial year.

Regards

Ralph

BEagle
4th May 2009, 10:07
I presume, from your location, that you're a heliopterist?

From LASORS2008:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg

UK Qualified Service Pilot (QSP) Helicopters

We are aware that some military helicopter types are
operated exclusively by 2 pilots in certain theatres of
operation. Therefore, if an applicant can show evidence of
500 hours of genuine 2-pilot operation, an MCC credit will
be allowed.

The evidence to be supplied must include logbooks
detailing the 500 hours claimed, together with a letter from
a commanding officer confirming the following:

• All the hours claimed were flown with 2 pilots,
qualified on type, at the controls (and not with a
navigator, air crewman, air loadmaster or observer
in one of the pilots’ seats).

• The hours claimed were in respect of true 2-pilot
operation (and not flights on which one of the pilots
was acting as an instructor or an examiner).

A QSP who qualifies for an ATPL(A) through the
CAA/MOD FW(ME) Accreditation arrangements
does not need to apply for MCC credit.

Lafyar Cokov
4th May 2009, 10:12
If you have over 500 hrs multi-pilot experience you need to:

Send a letter signed by your current boss to the CAA that details your relevant experience (ie a break down of qualifying hours)

Send either photocopies of the applicable periodic/endo of course summaries, again all signed by your current boss (I certify this is a true record, ............, Wg Cdr) - or send them any relevant log books (they do come back!!).

They will send you a nice letter stating that you are exempt from MCC course requirements.

The multi-pilot thing is apparently quite strict and time with navigators or instructing doesn't count - although I'm prepared to be corrected on this!!

Good Luck

LC

MINself
4th May 2009, 10:35
Hi Ralph,

As someone who left the AAC a few years I did exactly as Lafyar suggests. I had a couple of thousand hours total with the majority of that Lynx so I composed a letter stating that I had X amount of Lynx hours which had been flown multi-crew and importantly I worded it to state that the 500+ hours I was claiming were flown as a multi-pilot crew P1/P2 and didn't include dual. I then got my CO to sign it and I sent this to the CAA with signed copies of my last few pages of my log book and about 4 weeks later a nice MCC exemption certificate came back, which I have since made use of for the issue of the ATPL.
I'm not sure if the criteria for this exemption has changed in the last 3 years but then it was fairly easy to come by.

Good luck MS :ok:

NVIS
4th May 2009, 17:39
Just used the first ELC myself for ATPL (A and H) with Bristol Groundschool. Goes a long way towards the costs, with QSP credit for skill test, MCC and IR makes the process much simpler. Nows the time to do it before the EASA courses start.
Ralph are you suggesting you may not be blue to the core? Might you have to retire the AAC socks?

ralphmalph
4th May 2009, 19:37
BEagle, I tried to look through LASORS, obviously not well enough!.

Looks like I will be safe, was getting worried about spending £2000 when I was sure that there was a way round.

Going to get the paperwork sent off tomorrow then am going to try and smash the lot before October. I was going to wait until the proposed news about bridging hours being lowered......but it may never come.

Now I need to save for the IR as well as study!..

NVIS, The AAC is a place of change right now, alot of it for good. Shame that many people had to leave and we had to fight 2 wars in a sandpit for it to happen!

Just getting my insurance ;-)

BEagle
4th May 2009, 20:21
ralphmalph, the MCC is described in section F10; the military MCC exemptions are in section F10.3 on p34 (.pdf page 282 of 684).

Glad to hear you've saved £2000! Good result!!

brit bus driver
4th May 2009, 20:35
Make sure you get the exemption in writing, even though it is in black and white in LASORS. I very nearly came a cropper when I went to get my type rating added to my licence, only to be faced with 'where's your MCC cerstificate'....luckily a senior bod was on scene and I didn't have to call the company and have my first route sector postponed!!

Torque Tonight
4th May 2009, 20:55
Just a thought here:

Having come off a multi-crew SH I could have had an MCC exemption for my ATPL(A). However, the course package I was on included an MCC so I did the course anyway rather than play my joker. Having then gone on to the airline interview simulator assessment, I'm pretty damn glad that I had done the MCC and had some Boeing sim hours behind me (not for the multi-crew aspect but for the Boeing SOPs, handling etc). Going into the sim assessment completely cold wouldn't be ideal. An MCC could be money well spent in the current employment market.