PDA

View Full Version : Army major held over ‘medal fiddle’

Inspector Dreyfuss
3rd May 2009, 08:49
This may be of more interest to ARRSE members; however, I hope that there's no substance to this........

From The Sunday Times May 3, 2009

Army major held over ‘medal fiddle’ Michael Smith

MILITARY police are investigating whether up to 17 medals and honours awarded to soldiers fighting in Afghanistan were given on the basis of false evidence.
They are examining medals granted to members of the 1st Battalion, the Royal Irish Regiment who were training Afghan soldiers in the southern province of Helmand during the period April to October 2008.
It follows the arrest of Major Robert Armstrong, a Royal Artillery officer attached to the regiment, after a complaint from an officer. Armstrong was awarded the Military Cross for saving the lives of his men when his convoy was ambushed in Helmand last year. His citation read: “As a result of his calm leadership under fire, losses were prevented and the lives of those injured were saved.”
The officer questioned the “under fire” part of the report and claimed the actions of others, including himself, had been attributed to Armstrong.
As part of the investigation all medals awarded as a result of citations written by Lieutenant Colonel Edward Freely, who commanded the battalion in Afghanistan, could be scrutinised. Freely did not himself receive an award.
Three Royal Irish Regiment soldiers serving under Freely received the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross, second only to the Victoria Cross. The award was deemed at the time to be remarkable.
It is understood this is the first time the British Army has conducted such an investigation. The revelations come amid growing concern of medal inflation in the armed forces.
A Ministry of Defence spokesman said last night: “The integrity of the operational honours system is a matter of the utmost importance to us.
“Any suggestion that it has fallen short of the very high standards that we have set ourselves are taken extremely seriously.”
Any disciplinary proceedings brought would be for “bringing the army into disrepute” and dealt with under military law.

Dan Gerous
3rd May 2009, 09:04
[QUOTE][the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross, second only to the Victoria Cross./QUOTE]

I always thought the George Cross was the second highest military award, and the highest civillian award.

cazatou
3rd May 2009, 09:13
DG

The George Cross would be awarded for actions "not in the face of the enemy"; for example - conspicuous gallantry in fighting a fire in a munitions dump. In the 19th C at least one VC was awarded for that deed (except it was a Train rather than a dump).

Squirrel 41
3rd May 2009, 09:44
IF this is true, then shame on these individuals.

HOWEVER, am I the only one to be concerned that the name of the bloke arrested has been leaked? What happens if he's cleared? He's doubtless going through hell at the moment - which if guilty, is wholly justified - but spare a thought for the guy if he's innocent.

For me, shame on whoever leaked his name: innocent until proven guilty still means something here.

S41

Wrathmonk
3rd May 2009, 10:21
may be of more interest to ARRSE members

am I the only one to be concerned that the name of the bloke arrested has been leaked

What happens if he's cleared

innocent until proven guilty

all of which is why the mod's over on the Army site lock / delete threads on subjects such as this inorder to stop the wild speculation, conspiracy theorists and hang 'em high brigade going off on one.

The same goes for aviation accidents and incidents - wouldn't it be better to wait until the investigation is over and the facts are available before commenting.

Just a thought.

Inspector Dreyfuss
3rd May 2009, 11:12
Indeed chaps, that's why I hope that it's not true and is just in-house mud-slinging within the Army. I happen to know Ed Freely and he is a very good bloke indeed.

spheroid
3rd May 2009, 11:53
innocent until proven guilty

Thats only for civvies mate.... It doesn't form part of the Armed Forces act.

Al R
3rd May 2009, 11:54
Wasn't it Churchill who said of the divisive side effect; "Medals glitter, but they also cast long shadows"?

Pontius Navigator
3rd May 2009, 11:54
[QUOTE][the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross, second only to the Victoria Cross./QUOTE]

I always thought the George Cross was the second highest military award, and the highest civillian award.

According to truth central, Ministry of Defence | Defence For... | Veterans | Medals | Conspicuous Gallantry Cross (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/Veterans/Medals/ConspicuousGallantryCross.htm) the CGC is second to the VC. The CGC replaced the DSO, DCM and CGM in 1993.

The MC, DSC and DFC are the level below the CGC.

Airborne Aircrew
3rd May 2009, 12:06
wouldn't it be better to wait until the investigation is over and the facts are available before commenting.

Awwww, come on... Everyone likes a nice bit of gossip... :}

On the bright side, the fact that the accusation has been made will serve to ensure that the issuance of medals is more strictly scrutinized thus ensuring there is no "medal inflation". There is a silver lining to every cloud, one just needs to step back a little to see it. ;)

Tankertrashnav
3rd May 2009, 12:06

To clear up the position of the CGC. Cazatou is quite right about conditions for award of the George Cross, and it should be added that it remains one of only two decorations (the other of course being the Victoria Cross) which take precedence over oll other orders, thus even a Knight of the Garter who also held the George Cross would put the letters ''GC' after his name first. The Conspicuous Gallantry Cross is a purely military decoration awarded to all ranks and is the next decoration, taking precedence over all other decorations, but coming after all orders, even the relatively lowly MBE. Less than 25 CGCs had been awarded by the end of 2008, since its institution in 1993.

Pontius Navigator
3rd May 2009, 13:16
And if you are arrested for shooting a line . . .

Dan Gerous
3rd May 2009, 13:25
Cazatou,Tankertrashnav, thanks for that. Not as straighforward as I thought.

doubledolphins
3rd May 2009, 17:49
This is a very sorry business and should be conducted in private. If the medals have been wrongly awarded it would not be for the first time. Over the years I have heard a few stories about medals going to the wrong man. But and it is a huge one, I have never read about it. That is how it should remain. Any officer winning a medal will tell you that it is an award for all his men. If any other officer has a problem with an award, maybe he should look at him self first.

Roger Sofarover
3rd May 2009, 17:53
It may display a little more sympathy and compassion to delete this thread until after the Officer concerned has been investigated. All this thread will do is speculate and feed journo trolls. The Major is at this moment innocent.

I bet the soldiers of 1st Battalion, the Royal Irish Regiment feel really great now after all their efforts in the sandpit. The Mil Police will be even more popular after this.

c130jbloke
3rd May 2009, 18:04
Amen to the previous post.

This thread has nothing to do with MA.

Pontius Navigator
3rd May 2009, 18:10
While I agree that the thread is potentially feeding journos, remember the story will have originated in truth central and appeared in full in the papers before it appeared in Pprune.

parabellum
3rd May 2009, 23:47
I bet the soldiers of 1st Battalion, the Royal Irish Regiment feel really great now after all their efforts in the sandpit.

This major was actually reported to be in the Royal Artillery and only attached to the RIR so they don't have to feel so bad but, if the accusations are ever proven, then the RA won't be too pleased.

Quite possibly the evidence, statements etc. of the enquiry will remain confidential and only the result will be published in the LG, no need to air the dirty linen, if, indeed, there is any.

texdcd
4th May 2009, 01:57
Bronze Star: Many Winners Weren't in Combat (http://www.stripes.com/medals1.htm)

This was from WW Kosovo!

Clockwork Mouse
4th May 2009, 09:27
Interesting stuff, and food for thought as the way we deliver state sponsored violence and support combat operations is changing radically. Troops in contact are now closely supported by int and fire support from service people in other continents via RPVs, satellites etc, who though not themselves in harms way can directly effect the battle.

The whole UK system needs careful review, by the military, NOT civil servants. There must be a clear destinction between awards for actions in harms way and those earned more remotely. The system must be fair, be approved and be accepted by those in uniform, otherwise what's the point.

As far as the Gunner Major is concerned, wait, do not pass judgement and, above all, DO NOT TRUST WHAT THE MOD AND PRESS ARE PUTTING OUT. Read Col Tim Collins' book "Rules of Engagement" to see how the system we work for is out to get us, not support us. Disgraceful, shameful treatment of warriors who give their best and deserve better. Makes my blood boil.

Wensleydale
4th May 2009, 09:49
I am not be-littling the recipients of galantry medals in any way - however, the award of a significant number of medals is usually a traditional method of reducing the media impact of military/political c0ck-ups.

For example - the VCs awarded at Rork's Drift (plus another few the day before) to hide away the impact of Islwandana in January 1879 (the Zulu series of films for the non-historians out there). The Boer war put up a good few VCs during Black Week when the british Army was badly defeated 3 times in 7 days (including a VC for the commanding general's Son leaving both Father and Son as VC winners - the Robert's Junior medal was for a gallant attempt to recover exposed artillery and sadly postumous). In more recent times, 5 were awarded for Arnhem (Op Market garden) in Sep 44.

I repeat - I am not saying that the medals were not deserved - it is just that a military/political setback is often accompanied by a rash of medals. I now await the incoming flak......

Clockwork Mouse
4th May 2009, 09:57
I now await the incoming flak......

Here's a mild dose of it!

The actions you quote, though not great victories, indeed some were defeats, nevertheless involved far more desperate, gallant, bitter fighting than most victories do. It is therefore no surprise that gallantry awards were many.

cazatou
4th May 2009, 19:16
Wensleydale,

I take it you mean Isandhlwana and Rorke's Drift in the Zulu War.

At Rorke's Drift the Defenders, apart from Lt's Chard and Bromhead and the Commissary and Medical Staff, numbered 162 men - of whom at least 33 (and possibly as many as 80) were hospitalised. They defended that position inflicting some 850 casualties on the Zulu's at a cost of 17 dead and 10 wounded ( 2 of whom subsequently succumbed to their injuries).

Just what would you consider to be a "Gallant Defence" ?

Tankertrashnav
4th May 2009, 19:55
The navy used to have an arguably very fair system for the distribution of gallantry medals. If a ship had acquitted itself well in action it might be awarded, say, 3 Distinguished Service Medals for allocation among the crew. Very often these were decided by drawing lots. I once owned a Distinguished Service Medal which had been awarded to a crew member of a destroyer which took part in the D Day landings. The recipient was one of the ship's cooks, and according to his diary which accompanied the medal he spent most of D Day below decks baking bread. It could be argued that providing the crew with fresh bread was a big a contribution to its success in action as efficient gun-serving. Whatever you thought of this system, no-one could complain that the medal was undeserved, the ship had been awarded it and the recipient had picked the lucky number. Might not work for top awards, but for lower tier medals the system has its merits.

davejb
4th May 2009, 22:01
Gallantry medals ought to be for sticking your nuts on the chopping block. Doing a good job in difficult conditions should get a meritorious service medal (there is usually a gong with a similar title available), whilst being in theatre should get you a campaign medal. Devaluation always occurs to a point - you can always point to somebody who doesn't seem to have deserved what they got, but that should be 'the odd case' not 'company policy'.

This isn't a comment on the Army Major but the system in general.

When you devolve the system of awards to a comittee who have no experience of the sharp end, then don't be surprised to discover that they don't undertsand that gallantry medals are supposed to reflect bravery in the face of genuine danger. Look on the bright side, at least there's not been a move (so far) to award VC's to random taxpayers, drawn by lottery, on the grounds that we all share the financial burden....

It's very sad, in my view, that 'they' are producing a system where you don't simply automatically view a medal holder with respect... even if a great many were earned in a fit of blind madness!

(I retired without making good my fondest wish - to earn a DFM the hard way, beating out a cabin fire 'cos the extinguishers had run dry (over Berlin, in the searchlights etc etc) ......with the 2nd Nav....

R 21
5th May 2009, 07:46
My 50pence worth....

Everyones views of an event will be different to anothers, simple human nature. This would lead to different version of events from different people.

Also I think this can be shown to a T with a recent publication for a anniversary publication for an "Aviation Org". The publication was very glossy, punchy pics, discussing lots of suppossed historical facts. However 2 incidents they say they did during Op telic (main Push) and at Dogwood where a work of fiction. No aircraft for 1 of the events and another Sqn actually did the daring do. Again another case of humans interpreting things differently.

Heads down for incoming.....

VARIABLE_KNIFE
5th May 2009, 19:36
Reminds me of the lamentable giraffe that has become the MBE. With 24 year old females getting MBEs for their achievements in fashion and make-up, one has to question the entire honours and awards system!

Melchett01
5th May 2009, 20:06
Reminds me of the lamentable giraffe that has become the MBE. With 24 year old females getting MBEs for their achievements in fashion and make-up, one has to question the entire honours and awards system!

Being a northern bloke who washes each morning using cold water and sandpaper .....WTF?!

Then again, teenage Olympic medalists getting MBEs and the online petition for Ryan Giggs to be knighted. Says it all really about how things have become under the current administration. Nothing is sacred anymore.

Then again, how does Olympic medal winners getting MBEs on top of their Olympic medals for arguably just doing their jobs, chime with the govt policy of only one gong per event? Can we all wear our ISAF medals now? :\

sitigeltfel
5th May 2009, 20:22
I retired without making good my fondest wish - to earn a DFM the hard way, beating out a cabin fire 'cos the extinguishers had run dry (over Berlin, in the searchlights etc etc) ......with the 2nd Nav....

Very close to the incident that got my old boss, AVM Sir Phillip Lagesen, his DFC.

Phillip Lagesen won his DFC in a blazing Liberator bomber high above northern Italy in the closing stages of the Second World War. Aged 21, he was co-pilot of the South African Air Force (SAAF) aircraft when it was hit by a German fighter and caught fire. Although one of the two air gunners bailed out, the other was badly burnt.
Clambering back from his seat at the controls, Lagesen, who had trained as a gunner before getting his wings, seized one of the abandoned cannon and shot down the enemy attacker as it swooped in to deliver the coup de grace. Despite being burnt himself he managed to put out the flames rising around him before administering first aid to his stricken comrade – who ever afterwards credited Lagesen with having saved his life.

Pontius Navigator
5th May 2009, 20:34
my old boss, AVM Sir Phillip Lagesen, his DFC.

Mine too but I never knew that story. Even though they wore jackets with medal ribbons I don't think too many of us could tell what they were. There were a fair number of DFC, DFM and AFC around but no one ever talked about them.

My grandfather had an MC and a Croix de Guerre. Unusually he was a Supply Officer and all he wrote was "I suppose they gave it to me because they would have starved if I hadn't got through."

dctyke
5th May 2009, 21:21
quote:

A few years back I was proud to recieve the MSM, one of 7 given that year which was about average for the New Years Honours. In 2005 they changed the system and more were given out that year than in the previous 10 years put together...........and that trend has continued. I'm told they have nearly run out of WO's to recieve it so it been awarded futher down the rank structure. I feel the award is so diluted now it has lost it's worth, it certainly has in it's rarity value.

parabellum
5th May 2009, 22:46
The OBE has long been known as, "Other Buggers Efforts". I know of one case where that is definitely true.

Pontius Navigator
6th May 2009, 05:51
The OBE has long been known as, "Other Buggers Efforts". I know of one case where that is definitely true.

Or as my father said, in the Merchant Navy, "Oil Burning Expert". Could apply to sqn cdrs who achieve their SD98 rate?:}

Well done chaps.

BEagle
6th May 2009, 19:05
.......and the online petition for Ryan Giggs to be knighted.

Give us a clue, who is this Mr Giggs?

Pontius Navigator
6th May 2009, 19:10
Give us a clue, who is this Mr Giggs?

Clue? Google?

Ryan Joseph Giggs OBE[2] (born Ryan Joseph Wilson on 29 November 1973 in Canton, Cardiff) is a Welsh footballer who has played for Manchester United for the entirety of his club career to-date. He established himself as a left-winger during the 1990s and continued in this position well into the 2000s, but more recently playing in a deeper playmaking role.

I think it actually means a soccer player rather than a real footballer.

BEagle
6th May 2009, 19:32
Why on earth should anyone get a medal, let alone a knighthood, for merely kicking a ball about?

sitigeltfel
6th May 2009, 19:32
Every one earned :rolleyes:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee201/sitigeltfel/medals.jpg

taxydual
6th May 2009, 19:50
Ahh, evidence of the BEagle VB Bottle Top Demonstration Team.

Tankertrashnav
6th May 2009, 22:33
I sort of agree with you Beagle, but I always thought it rather nice that Stanley Matthews got his, as he was a real gent. I think we have to differentiate here between decorations (gallantry medals) and orders, which can be anything from an MBE to a knighthood. I think its generally agreed that the whole honours system ( by which I mean orders, not decorations) is pretty well discredited - just take a look at those bestowed on recently disgraced bankers, etc. The 'other bugger's efforts' remark is well made, and I think most people would agree with that sentiment.

The orders business then is pretty well past saving, all the more reason that the matter of awarding decorations ("real" medals) should be beyond suspicion. One think I'd like to see is separate investitures, one type where the top civil servants and the scrambled egg types from the services lined up to collect the appropriate bauble for their rank, and another one where the real heroes got their gallantry awards. Dont think it's about to happen though.

Pontius Navigator
7th May 2009, 05:59
another one where the real heroes got their gallantry awards. Dont think it's about to happen though.

At least it was a step in the right direction getting rid of the gallantry medals and allowing the award of gallantry crosses to every one.

I used to get the feel that a DSO was an award similar to an OBE as opposed to a 'Cross' which was actually awarded to the doer.

Now how about awarding the odd knighthood down the line too? That would really make the headlines - SSgt created as KBE for saving life of prime minister - flt lt created Baron for saving heir to the thrown . . .

NUFC1892
7th May 2009, 08:32

A few years back I was proud to recieve the MSM, one of 7 given that year which was about average for the New Years Honours. In 2005 they changed the system and more were given out that year than in the previous 10 years put together...........and that trend has continued. I'm told they have nearly run out of WO's to recieve it so it been awarded futher down the rank structure. I feel the award is so diluted now it has lost it's worth, it certainly has in it's rarity value.

Have to agree with dctyke. I, for some reason best known to others, was awarded the MSM in the year before it became a "gimme". In that year only 5 were awarded and I felt it was something really special, particularly when compared to the 30+ MBEs given out at the same time. Now it seems to have become just another award for longevity.

Tankertrashnav
7th May 2009, 09:16
Re Pontius' remarks - The DSO certainly used to be awarded for both gallantry and distinguished service on active service. Some DSOs were very well won. I have a friend whose father won the DSO as a Pilot Officer Beaufighter pilot, after pulling his unconscious navigator from their sinking aircraft after being shot down off the Cornish coast.

This practice ceased in 1993 when the CGC was introduced and the DSO is now only awarded for distinguished service, not gallantry. I agree about the all-ranks crosses - my favourite is the Military Cross won by a 19 year old female medic private in Iraq for rescuing a soldier from a burning armoured vehicle - that's one award no-one could quibble about.

No knighthoods for gallantry though please - let's leave the baubles to the bean counters and politicians and recognise gallantry with real medals.

timex
7th May 2009, 14:09
This practice ceased in 1993 when the CGC was introduced and the DSO is now only awarded for distinguished service, not gallantry.

Not sure that some of these would agree, although I do get your point..

Operation Telic: Operational Honours - the DSO (http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/op_honours_dso.htm)

Tankertrashnav
7th May 2009, 15:02
Not sure that some of these would agree, although I do get your point..

H'mm yes - some of these guys certainly seemed to have been in the thick of it, and may have more appropriately been considered for gallantry awards, but nevertheless it shows that in most cases those who do receive decorations really do merit them. Lets hope some of their people further down the chain of command picked something up.

Wader2
8th May 2009, 10:50
Looking at Timex's link, the rank of the DSO receipients would suggest that they were not actually in the thick of things except for the airmen and the major. Certainly for a Brigadier to be in the thick of it something would have been horribly wrong.

Digressing, from another active thread is this link. Now that is sobering.

John Alan Quinton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Alan_Quinton)

Clockwork Mouse
8th May 2009, 11:33
The DSO was usually awarded for outstanding leadership in battle. Thus COs and company commanders were the main recipients, more senior officers in exceptional circumstances. They were all, however, most certainly in harms way.

Don't forget, also, that the MBE/OBEs are divided into military and civilian divisions. In no way, therefore, is a civilian MBE awarded to a footballer comparable to one awarded to someone in the Forces. My father, a doctor, was awarded a military MBE for volunteering to run a cholera isolation unit (you couldn't call it a hospital because there was no medicine or instruments) in the Burmese jungle as a POW of the Japs. He earned his more than I earned my technically more senior effort from GW1.

timex
8th May 2009, 15:46
Wader, sorry mate but CO 40 Cdo was involved in quite a few skirmishes during Op Telic, an outstanding CO.

sitigeltfel
8th May 2009, 17:28
Medal deemed unlawful as it is too "Christian"

Queen's medal 'unlawful' for being too Christian - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/5296757/Queens-medal-unlawful-for-being-too-Christian.html)

RoyalFlier
8th May 2009, 22:28
I know him too - not a faker, so I expect this to go th eway of so many media inspired witch hunts.

Tankertrashnav
8th May 2009, 22:39

There's a precedent for this. The Imperial Russian Order of St George, their highest military award, depicted St George (oddly enough!), a Christian warrior saint. Because there were many Muslims in the Russian army from the Southern fringes of the empire there was a Muslim version of the insignia which replaced St George with the imperial eagle. Many Muslim recipients rejected their own version, preferring the one showing a brave warrior rather than a black bird.

BEagle
9th May 2009, 04:30

In the Good Old Days we'd have sent the moaning bug.gers a gunboat!

cazatou
9th May 2009, 07:08
"The George Medal is too Anglocentric for award to Scots."

How foolish of me; I always thought the George Cross and George Medal were so named because they were instituted by King George VI in 1940.

:ugh:

Tankertrashnav
9th May 2009, 15:14
"The George Medal is too Anglocentric for award to Scots."
Can I use this forum to make an offer to any Scot, Welshman or Irishman who has been awarded the George Cross or the George Medal and is offended by the name or the design - I'll take it off your hands willingly and even offer you a nice crisp tenner in return (although it will probably be a Bank of England one)!

Pontius Navigator
9th May 2009, 15:28
Maybe the Scots would prefer a Right Charlie and the Welsh to take a Leek.

glad rag
9th May 2009, 19:31
Anglocentric what a load of p i s h !! Another example of the dangers of accepting those who wish to be politicians into the job!!

CR2
9th May 2009, 22:45
Quick Q from a civvie with no clue on such matters.... does a medal give a pay-raise or bonus? This just for my general education.

Thanks.

herkman
9th May 2009, 22:46
The sad part is the door has been closed for a long time, on those whose story was understood only after WW2 was over for a long time.

Flt/Lt John Wilson RAAF, a pilot with 77 Sqdn RAF, flying Halifax JD413 was lost over Germany on 1/9/43. Who stayed at the controls, even though mortally wounded, so that his crew could escape. Fortunately two RAF Airmen did escape with no harm, and they too went on to serve their country upon their return from Germany, as senior and brillant policemen.

I after obtaining the full story, when their part remains were recovered in 2005, asked the Australian government to award him the DFC, which would have been fairly correct for his action. No says our government, the statute of time has run out, long gone apparently for anyone from WW2 to have their bravery comemrated. Shame all John Wilsons has to remember his dad, who he never knew, was two UK coins recovered from his fathers pocket.

I suppose he could have them mounted and worn on the right occasions.

The price was paid so long ago, and apparently will not be repaid.

Regards

Col Tigwell

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
10th May 2009, 00:32
I've only been following this Thread off and on but now I'm bloody annoyed on 2 fronts;

Graciously awarded by the Christian head of a Christian Country. Nobody is forcing them to accept it, says the atheist (who would gladly acccept it, if I'd earned it).

No says our government, the statute of time has run out, long gone apparently for anyone from WW2 to have their bravery comemrated.

Do the Ocker socialist classes hate us so much that they would s**t on their own true heroes to make a petty point?

parabellum
10th May 2009, 01:14
I suspect the Australian government were hiding behind the statute of limitations because had they agreed to the award then they would have been inundated with more claims. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it is just the way civil servants think, "Oh dear, too much work involved, say No".

Do the Ocker socialist classes hate us so much that they would s**t on their own true heroes to make a petty point?

No, the only 'hate' for the British that I have encountered here in Australia emanates from those of Irish descent, (Keating, for example).

cazatou
10th May 2009, 07:31
CR2

The 14th rule of the original Warrent for the Victoria Cross made a generous financial provision for the recipient of a VC. Any Junior Officer, Seaman or Soldier receiving the medal would be entitled to a special pension of Ten Pounds per annum. For any additional bar awarded a further Five Pounds per annum would be paid.

The late Captain Charles Hazlitt Upham VC & Bar 20th Battalion(Canterbury Regiment) New Zealand Expeditionary Force was the only person to survive who could have collected "the extra fiver".

Current Pension is £1300 per Annum Tax Free - but watch this space if Gordon finds out!!

Roger Sofarover
10th May 2009, 08:04
A bit off thread sorry.

Does anybody know what award the young lad got who threw himself on top of a
grenade to save his mates, but got away with fragging his bergen?

threeputt
10th May 2009, 08:23
The George Cross

CROUCHER, Matthew GC
L/Cpl, Royal Marines, prevented death and injury to others. Born 1983, LG 2007.

3P:ok:

Roger Sofarover
10th May 2009, 08:31
Thanks threeputt, very good news and thoroughly deserved. I imagine he doesn't pay for many beers when he is out with his mates.

Tankertrashnav
10th May 2009, 11:32
I after obtaining the full story, when their part remains were recovered in 2005, asked the Australian government to award him the DFC, which would have been fairly correct for his action.

Actually Herkman there is a very good reason why a DFC would not have been "fairly correct for this action". At the time the only awards which could be given posthumously were the Victoria Cross, the George Cross and a Mention in Despatches. There was thus never any chance of his being awarded a posthumous DFC, as such a thing didn't exist at the time. He could have been put forward for the VC of course, but there was never any chance of one being awarded 60 years after the event. This situation was rectified in the John Major reforms of 1993, but the rules were not made retrospective. Now all gallantry awards (but not orders) can be made posthumously.

I have been in the medal business for over 30 years and in my opinion retrospective awards are a real can of worms. Once you start going down that road, as Parabellum has already said,for every one you give out there will be a dozen hands shooting up saying "what about my dad/husband/uncle" or even "what about me". Best left I think, the system will never be perfect, but it's better than a lot of others I could think of.