PDA

View Full Version : Printer to Reproduce Slides.

Hawk
3rd May 2009, 03:22
I am looking for suggestions for a scanner available in Australia that scans slides as well as black and white photos, be good if it also could print from old films. Don't need fax or photocopying facility.

Would appreciate recommendations from the experts on this forum. If this question has been posted recently, my apologies. I couldn't find anything directly relevent.

Thank you.

Jofm5
3rd May 2009, 06:26
Just to clarify:-

Are you requiring a printer or scanner ? Or a printer that contains a scanner?

If you are after scanning in slides typically a printer scanner may not provide the resolution required for a decent blow up of the slide so you may wish to look at a dedicated scanner.

Loose rivets
3rd May 2009, 06:46
Printers normally only offer Reflective scan mode. I guess if you pay enough, there will be one that has a light in the lid for transparency / negative copying.

My Epsom 6600 give a very modest scan, but a $70 refurbished 3170 dedicated scanner, does quite well. I returned the later model Epson because the film holders were abysmally cheap and nasty.

green granite
3rd May 2009, 06:48
By and large it's a case of horses for courses, slide/film scanner and a photo scanner. I brought a film scanner on E-Bay which when I've finished scanning in all my slides etc I'll sell back on E-Bay.

Avtrician
3rd May 2009, 09:02
Have a look in Hardley normals or office works, they should have some epson or canon scanners that will take on slides, they wont care if its colour or B&W. you will need to buy a separate printer to print the pictures. WHile browsing Hardleys, ask what their best price is, never pay ticket price.

Amos Keeto
25th Sep 2009, 13:19
Although no longer made, if you can find one the Nikon Coolscan V ED is superb for slides and negs. It is a digital laser scanner that produces superb results.

El Grifo
25th Sep 2009, 17:44
I started my digital career with one of those babies.

I would shoot on E6 (slide) scan and send up to my clients FTP site. I learned about photoshop during that period.

Then the mighty Canon 1Ds came along at 5 grand a pop (body only) never looked back.

Got rid of that in Bangkok in a straight swap for a 5D

Still have my trusty scanner though and still take it ou from under its wraps from time to time.

Full repro quality. :ok:

seacue
25th Sep 2009, 20:25
I have an Epson "Perfection 2400 Photo" scanner. It will scan photos, books, etc. It will also scan positive and negative 2x2 in slides and 35 mm film strips. I use it at 2400 pixels per inch for slides, which is adequate for my snapshot tastes. I can do about 20 or 24 slides an hour at that resolution. Here is an example:
http://members.toast.net/rcarpen/62SilvertonColo.jpg
Note that this is a JPEG. I presume that the raw scan is somewhat better.

Pardon the thread drift, but ......

On the other hand, I have a few ancient 4x5 and 5x7 glass plate negatives. This Epson can't do them. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thank you,

seacue

srobarts
25th Sep 2009, 20:40
I bought the Canoscan 8800F earlier this year and have been delighted with the results. I print to my Epson Photo Printer.

bulolobob
26th Sep 2009, 04:17
Try this - Was available last week from Officeworks for AU$119

PhotoMaker by Kaiser Baas

Convert your 35mm slides and negatives to digital format. Print, email, archive and finally save to CD or DVD. Use the PhotoMaker to auto-enhance the photos, colour correct, remove red-eye, crop and straighten your negatives or slides before they fade, become damaged or lost.

Features:

Convert 35mm colour or B&W film negatives to digital
Convert mounted slides to digital
Capture directly to your PC with the touch of a button
Print, email, or archive your slides or negatives to PC, and burn to CD/DVD
Instant preview and high speed conversion to digital
USB powered - no external power required.
Key Specifications

5 megapixel high resolution (5.17MP)
48-bit, 1800 dpi optical resolution (3600 dpi interpolated)
USB 2.0 Interface
Convert images to JPG or TIF format
PC Software interface to view and adjust resolution
System Requirements

Pentium III 800MHz processor or higher
Free USB 2.0 port
256MB ram or higher
100MB free HDD space or higher
Colour monitor
CD-ROM/DVD drive
Windows XP (32 bit & 64-bit) and Vista (32-bit & 64-bit) compatible

Cheers
BB

seacue
26th Sep 2009, 05:22
Have you actually tried the "PhotoMaker"?

It is priced and looks similar to a product I tried in the USA. I found the results to be unacceptable.

You should try before buying to verify that the PhotoMaker is *not* the product I tried over here.

Hawk
28th Sep 2009, 05:04
Thanks all. I'm going to Office Works and check out the suggestions.
Cheers.