PDA

View Full Version : Remote access

Two_dogs
3rd May 2009, 01:48
Hi All

Can anyone recommend a good, preferably free:p, remote computer access software solution. I have looked at Go To My PC, PC Anywhere,etc.

LogMeIn has a free application which looks ok?

The software will have to support a dynamic IP address.

Thanks
Two Dogs

Sprogget
3rd May 2009, 06:34
Does Windows not have native support for this? Never tried it myself, but this may help?

Windows XP: Get Started Using Remote Desktop (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsXp/using/mobility/getstarted/Remoteintro.mspx)

Two_dogs
3rd May 2009, 06:54
Sprogget, From the link you provided...

To use Remote Desktop

With Remote Desktop, you can connect to your work computer from home and access all of your programs, files, and network resources as though you were actually sitting in front of your computer at work.

You need three things to create a remote location:
1. Microsoft Windows XP Professional must be installed on the computer containing the files and programs that you want to access from a remote computer. The computer must also be part of a corporate network in which Remote Desktop connections are permitted. This computer is known as the host.

2. The remote computer must be running Windows 95 or later. This computer must also have the Remote Desktop Connection client software installed. The remote computer is known as the client.

3. Both computers must be connected to the Internet through a VPN connection.

Note: If you're not connecting to the host computer through a VPN, you'll need to use the actual IP address of the host computer instead of the computer name.

Microsoft Remote Desktop unfortunately does not support dynamic IP addresses.
Thanks anyway.

Jofm5
3rd May 2009, 07:42
Have a look at UltraVNC: Remote Support Software, Remote Support tool, Remote Desktop Control, Remote Access Software, PC Remote Control (http://www.uvnc.com/index.html) - if I recall correctly this will work with Dynamic IP addressing.

Agent86
3rd May 2009, 11:46
I use Dyndns (http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/) and UltraVNC

Dyndns gives you a free address which you can use in a web browser with UltraVNc to log in ..You will need to fwd a couple of ports thru your home router to get it to work. If you need to find out your home's current IP just ping the address you set up in your acct. ...Hint ..Pick a nonstd port so you can reduce the port scans.

More info avail if you want it.

Bushfiva
3rd May 2009, 12:31
I've had consistently good results with the free version of Logmein. I use Haruka (same company) for moving files around. Logmein doesn't care whether you have fixed or dynamic IP.

I've also used GoToMyPC, VNC, VNC over SSH and XP's own Remote Access service. They work, too, with varying levels of farting around with the router (except GoToMyPC, which uses an intermediary to set up the connection, like Logmein). I found a couple of applications where VNC can't click on the buttons for some mysterious reason, and Logmein doesn't like one of my video window applications.

BladePilot
3rd May 2009, 15:55
Would Windows Office Live be of any use to you? not direct remote access but you can drop any files you think you may need onto your live desktop and retrieve them from any other PC anywhere, anytime.

Keygrip
3rd May 2009, 16:11
I've used GoToMyPC for many years and swear by it. Excellent piece of software.

Works from absolutely anywhere - even heavily fortified corporate machines that don't let you download stuff without the IT departments permission.

Remote printing, audio, video - 100% functionality.

Costs me US$19 a month for one nominated machine.

I used to run our entire home network (five machines) through it - but it got expensive. Now I use RealVNC to look at any of the home network *via* the network from my desktop machine - and still have the GTMP service for that....so I can log into my desktop with GTMP and then look at any machine on the network via RealVNC.

RealVNC was free of charge for all WindowsXP work, but chargeable for Vista. US$30, rings a bell.

The RealVNC required that the computer being looked AT had to have a handshake pre configured FROM the machine that was lookintg at it.....so I'm assuming I couldn't just grab a computer terminal somewhere and connect via RealVNC from outside.

RealVNC doesn't carry audio or video between machines.

Keef
3rd May 2009, 16:18
I've been running Remote Desktop through a VPN from the laptop in the Norfolk hideaway back to the PC in the Essex house for years, and it "just works".
I can also access the Linux machine in Essex, using VNC Server.

The hard drives on both Essex machines are shared, and I can access files on them without using Remote Desktop. Everything was very easy to set up, and works perfectly.

My ISP provides a static IP address, so no worries about that. Otherwise, I think dyndns is the one most folks use.

Two_dogs
4th May 2009, 00:40
Thanks for all the input.

I installed UltraVNC and set up a DDNS service, but found it a bother to configure. I have admin rights but was unable to change the password for VNC. I was also concerned about security. Last time I used a DDNS service my account was terminated by the supplier for 'repeated access attempts' or something similar. Next day my computer suffered a massive catastrophic failure, I had to replace the motherboard and hard drive. Not sure if the two were related but I thought I may have been the victim of some sort of attack.

Next downloaded and installedGoToMyPc. :D
Flawless, I can connect from my laptop using a broadband USB dongle with very little lag.
Not to mention the security is probably much better than VNC.
Annual subscription at $180 is pretty good value. (I spend $600 a day on fuel)

Two Dogs

Bern Oulli
5th May 2009, 16:07
I use Teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx) on odd occasions. It does most things although strangely enough one thing I cannot do remotely is "Allow" (or "Deny") the odd Zone Alarm pop-up.