PDA

View Full Version : ATPL expiration

pgar
2nd May 2009, 18:31
Can someone help clear some confusion I have with the atpl time limit?
Will obtaining an IR but no CPL stop the atpl's expiring in the 36 month limit?
I have 1 year left with no CPL or IR, and was wondering if doing IR then CPL would give me more time?

cheers

Shunter
2nd May 2009, 18:38
All or nothing. CPL AND IR or you're hosed. 3rd period begins at the end of the month in which you took your last exam.

johnnyDB
3rd May 2009, 09:54
I think i'm sure here, but could stand to be corrected, but as far as i can remember it is possible to do the CPL first which would mean you would only have to take an ir course and exams to do the ir afterwards (after the 36 month period), this would give you CPL-IR but no frozen ATPL i.e. CPL-IR would be the end of the line here.

Shunter
3rd May 2009, 11:59
That's correct. If you do your ATPL exams, then get only the CPL during the 3 year period, you don't lose the CPL, just the exam credit.

Should you subsequently just want an IR, you can take the 7 IR exams (ok, 6 exams and one total waste of £65) and get one. However, in order to add a multi-crew type rating to your license you'd have to do all the ATPL exams again. If you have a CPL/IR and no ATPL exam credit, you can do the exams and there's no 3yr limit on them as it becomes a 7 year limit (7 years from the date of your last IR renewal, so can be extended indefinitely).