PDA

View Full Version : EASA and Licence convertion

EuroFin
2nd May 2009, 05:36
Hi Everyone who is currently flying in non-JAA state and planning to convert FAA to JAA. EASA is planning to take over licencing...and that´s not good news for us who is currently flying or planning to go flight school in states/canada or in non-Jaa country or not in JAR School because EASA is planning a "Law" for making conversion impossible. I got advice to do all conversion before May 2010 because after that it could be impossible. It is not 100% sure yet but I got this information from finnish civil aviation authority. So people in this forum... have anyone heard this rumour as well?

ps. I´m currently flying in Canada and my luck is( if that scenario happens) I will be done here(CPL,ME/IR) in September-October and after that I´m coming "Home" to Europe and I have been looking Schools to convert over my CPL and ME/IR and of course to do ATPL ground school. I have heard/Read at Bristol is good for ATPL GS but how about CPL and ME/IR?? So I need help:rolleyes: and I appreciate any help. THANKS:ok: (sorry about my english it´s not perfect...fourth language:ugh:)

this is just a rule for remind people what is ahead when conversion is an issue...
JAR–FCL 1.016 Credit given to a holder of
a licence issued by a non-
JAA State
(a) An applicant for a JAR–FCL licence and
IR, if applicable, already holding at least an
equivalent licence issued in accordance with
ICAO Annex 1 by a non-JAA State shall meet all
the requirements of JAR–FCL, except that the
requirements of course duration, number of
lessons and specific training hours may be
reduced.
The Authority may be guided as to the credits
to be granted on the basis of a recommendation
from an appropriate training organisation.

FLT86
2nd May 2009, 16:31
Hi !

Indeed, not that good...
Will it work for JAA approved schools in USA ? (For example: Skymates which is approved by CAA UK so JAA).

Will it be possible or EASA will make it impossible even for JAA approved schools in USA ?

Thank you !

Shunter
2nd May 2009, 17:03
Total bollocks. I suggest you read the ICAO Chicago Convention Annex 1 where it refers to members states facilitating the validation and conversion of licenses between states.

INNflight
2nd May 2009, 17:48
I'd be surprised if it would happen that fast, simply because everything takes 500 years to get moving in these areas :}

As for the conversion part, you may look at obtaining a Swiss JAA ticket, should be the cheapest country in terms of regs.

No retraining required, compared to 15hrs for the IR, etc. as in most other countries.

edit:

I suggest you read the ICAO Chicago Convention Annex 1 where it refers to members states facilitating the validation and conversion of licenses between states.

As for this part, I guess they could still make it happen by simply raising the hour requirements for validations / conversions.

Shunter
2nd May 2009, 18:42
They could, although it would be unlikely. If the OP can't provide a written reference for it, it's fiction I afraid.

The Swiss route might sound attractive, but there's no way you'll get through the JAA skill tests with no training. Most converting IRs in the UK need more than 15hrs to get upto scratch, so the Swiss 0hrs requirement is something of a moot point.

FLT86
2nd May 2009, 18:53
"Will it work for JAA approved schools in USA ? (For example: Skymates which is approved by CAA UK so JAA).

Will it be possible or EASA will make it impossible even for JAA approved schools in USA ?"

Anyone knows ?

Thank you !

EuroFin
2nd May 2009, 21:28
I don´t know what they´re going to do with schools already approved JAA/JAR..??

-And about converting IR...I just can´t see reason why it takes +15hrs to pass that test?? because you´re flying with the same plane(Seneca) and same instruments...and approaches can´t be so different either... in Canada minimum hours for ME/IR is 45hrs. I will fly some extra hours here to be more comfortable with everything and fly pre-flight test(to meet JAA standards) with my instructor(he is from u.k)...so it´s not end of the world if I spend extra 5-10hrs here to be more comfortable and ready for JAA-test...(cost here is approx.150euro/Hr with Seneca)

- Do anyone here have experience to convert FAA ME/IR to JAA ME/IR??
What was different in flight test?? and is there something what I should be studying/flying more than other??

I just finished my IR Ground school and now I´m building hours for my CPL...I will be starting Sim/Seneca training in June.

Thanks!!

INNflight
3rd May 2009, 07:52
but there's no way you'll get through the JAA skill tests with no training. Most converting IRs in the UK need more than 15hrs to get upto scratch, so the Swiss 0hrs requirement is something of a moot point.

I agree it is unlikely to get it done without any training in JAR land, but if you're well prepared and had a good IR instructor I am confident it can be done in less than 15hrs. Not saying I can, just confident I will :}

Do anyone here have experience to convert FAA ME/IR to JAA ME/IR??

I'm just in the process of doing that. It is painful (as you need to get all JAA ATPL theoretical exams, a radiotelephony license, etc.), and expensive, but the math still works out in the end. Easily!

(cost here is approx.150euro/Hr with Seneca)

Those were the days! Cheapest Seneca I found in Euroland (Switzerland) is 370/hr :ooh:

Abagnale
3rd May 2009, 08:12
Well,actually if you think about it,first of all you have to attend ground school and pass 14 exams,that will take at least half a year,but in the majority of cases it's closer to 1 year...So,do you really think you will be able to pass IR flight test after such a huge break in flying without any training?I doubt it.But regarding IR,I don't think it makes any difference where it has been issued,the basics still remain the same anywhere in the world...Why don't you think of staying where you are for a while?Instructing,for example?

INNflight
3rd May 2009, 15:24
So,do you really think you will be able to pass IR flight test after such a huge break in flying without any training?

As stated in my earlier post, I agree it is unlikely to do so, however even if one needs 10 or 12 hrs instead of 15 that still saves you a nice chunk at approximately 500 euros / ME hr.

BTW, I can assure you that jeppview, a Beech Baron in Flight Sim and raw data approaches keep you in the loop pretty well in terms of thinking ahead, reading charts, taking the minimums into account, practising your scan etc.... after that it's just the flying.

collaudatore
3rd May 2009, 17:51
EASA Taking Aim on U.S. Flight Schools - Jetwhine: Aviation Buzz and Bold Opinion (http://www.jetwhine.com/2009/03/easa-taking-aim-on-us-flight-schools/)

EuroFin
3rd May 2009, 20:31
Abagnale...You´re right that is huge break without flying approaches/instruments! ATPL theory is long course! And that link posted by collautadore is interesting. I still don´t get it why EASA have to make flying so difficult for us who doesn´t have hundreds of thousands in a pocket but really love flying...of course everyone is thinking money it doesn´t grow in the trees...at least not in my tree:) I save my money before coming here so I have no Bank loan yet but it will be because IR conversion/MCC/ATPL GS... and of course normal living costs for a year...but anyways I´m really happy with training here...weather in alberta changes every 5min so it is challenging every time:ok: and of course you learn a lot every time you go up! but I can´t wait to get back to europe:) so much better place to live what North america is!! so that is the reason for my conversion....

Abagnale
3rd May 2009, 20:42
Mate,I understand your desire to come back to europe,but you will be very dissappointed when you'll finally get you JAA CPL/IR and don't find a job,I mean any job,even a flight instructor ...That's my main concern...So if you can stay in Canada to build some hours just do it...I think in the states you're legally aloud to instruct for one year,but many people stay longer,I\m not sure if there's something similar in Canada...But anyway it's up to you.Good luck! :ok:

dartagnan
3rd May 2009, 20:57
actually better to look somewhere else than Europe. no job here... most airlines want get rid of their pilot, and it can take 2-3 years before they recruit.

if you are looking to convert license. take it easy.
it was the same crap when we went from national to JAA.
some guys took their time, building time in the USA and convert when the JAA was fullmy functional. some guys came back to Europe to convert to national licenses.

at the end, it was the same....the JAA tests were even easier than some national tests.

so relax, build time, fly, have some fun, and try to make money to convert later when economy will be better...:ok: