PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Purchase from New Zealand - Import to Australia.

ckaine
1st May 2009, 22:11
Hi all,

I am currently looking at purchasing an aircraft from New Zealand and will be importing it in to Australia to place on the VH register.

I am wondering whether anyone has had any experience with this, and if so the approximate costs invloved?
I have been advised that I would be best to arrange an Export CoA and through NZ CAA and would then need to arrange a CoA in Australia. It is the cost of the Australian CoA inspections etc that I am having trouble getting approx costs for.

I would be flying it in, however I assume that I would be up for Customs Duty and GST as well?

Cheers!!

Kooka
1st May 2009, 23:48
Call Jim Hazelton who does this all the time. 04 1301 2941

captwawa
2nd May 2009, 01:24
cant you leave it ZK reged and then you woundnt have to pay any duty etc on it, and with the trans tasman agreement any one can over here can fly it with a basic licence conversion.. Vincent Aviation and the Toll 737s have ZK regd aircraft operating in OZ..

ZEEBEE
2nd May 2009, 01:57
cant you leave it ZK reged and then you woundnt have to pay any duty etc on it, and with the trans tasman agreement any one can over here can fly it with a basic licence conversion.. Vincent Aviation and the Toll 737s have ZK regd aircraft operating in OZ..

I don't believe you need the licence conversion, (I never did anyway) but the aircraft has to be maintained to the NZ standard and by NZ approved workshops, unless that's changed as well.

conflict alert
3rd May 2009, 09:24
In NZ you must maintain an aircraft in accordance with its rego of country so would presume its the same in Oz.

Clearedtoreenter
4th May 2009, 14:40
Definitely GST. The CoA cost depends and will need a CASA delegate to work with your LAME. Will need new log books, new 100hrly and all A/D's verifying or redoing. (NA records, component times etc will all need to be straight and verifiable.) The CASA guy might charge $3500ish and all the other stuff will depend on what needs doing. Can be $10K + all up. The importation process is quite involved and you might need someone like Hazo to help you through it if you don't know the ropes. Good luck.

ER_ZZZ
4th May 2009, 15:16
Just make sure when it gets here it doesn't have to comply with any Aussie only AD's. Some of these will make you think twice.

If the aircraft is new or low time you may be allright, just check it out.

Getting the CoA is one thing, but the chap won't sign it out until it complies with our rules and all AD's completed.

chimbu warrior
5th May 2009, 05:21
Aussie AD's areabout to be a thing of the past.

C of R holders will be required to monitor country of origin (manufacture) to ensure AD compliance.

heli_79
1st Jun 2010, 10:31
Sorry to change subject, but I have a question but in reversal.

What will be involved to Import a Heli from Australia to NZ?

I presume the standard procedure with CASA and CAA?

cheers

I16
1st Jun 2010, 11:59
You should be able to claim back the New Zealand 12.5 % GST on export from that country.

HomeJames
25th Jun 2011, 00:53
Hullo Chaps!

Seeing as this is a rather old thread that I have revived, I am curious as to whether the OP actually did import an aircraft, and whether Mr Hazelton is still the man in the know for this sort of thing?

I know, I know, I feel I just have to touch the wet paint...

Straight Home and Don't Spare the horses

aileron_69
25th Jun 2011, 06:12
You should be able to claim back the New Zealand 12.5 % GST on export from that country.

You dont have to pay GST in NZ if you are taking it out of the country, and its 15% over there these days.

CHAIRMAN
26th Jun 2011, 12:24
Is the extra 5% to cover the carbon tax??

kingtoad
4th Jul 2011, 12:24
Yeah - but not on the petrol apparently ... according to the Red witch.