PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Tornado Ops

SRENNAPS
1st May 2009, 19:44
As an ex Bruggen man with many, many months spent in the Gulf, I was just wondering that now UK Combat Operations have ended in Iraq, are there any plans to return the Tornado detachment from theatre.

The jets have as good as been on continual Ops since 1991. This cannot be far off some form of record in continuous Ops for the RAF. No offence to the transport and chopper world but I mean continuous Ops for bomber/recce/ground attack operations in one area.

For the record I did Al Muharraq, Dhahran, Al Kharj, Incirlik (Northern Watch and got the coins to prove it) and Ali Al Salem; hence my interest.

If they are not returning what is their role there these days?

Thanks

Jumping_Jack
1st May 2009, 23:20
They're going to AFG! :(

Wrathmonk
2nd May 2009, 08:14
JJ

They were going to AFG to replace JFH before the troop pullout of Iraq was confirmed.

However, to tie this in with the PR09 thread given JFH has, if the signing of the support contract is anything to go by, been 'saved' in its current size, shape and format. and that the GR4's were originally going to cover two ops and needed all hands to the pumps to achieve it then IF Telic FJ ops are over and they are being withdrawn from theatre it may have dramatic consequences on the future size of the GR4 following PR09. CAS has, I'm guessing, got to make cuts somewhere in the FJ fleet to keep somewhere near to budget.

It could also explain why the exit of JFH has been delayed. If all you have to do to replace the Harrier with GR4 in AFG is lift the airframes and support/tail package from one theatre and move it to the other then that has got to be cheaper (not zero cost before you all jump up and down) than creating a second GR4 DOB/EAW. I know that is a very simplistic view and ac may still need modifications but ....

So given the trend seems to be to keep the lowest number plate squadrons (don't get started on the BofB (F) sqn arguement please!) and that a certain 3-digit Tonka sqn will be the last sqn in the RAF which number plates could be lost? 31? Or if it is seniority based on reformation than the stabbed cats may be in the firing line.

All scuttle-but and conjecture of course.

Sorry for the thread drift SRENNAPS but seems no-one could (or is willing to) answer your Q. Just fancied a bit of fishing on such a lovely day!!!

Slotback
2nd May 2009, 11:18
SRENNAPS if you have served then you must be aware of a small concept known as OPSEC. Do you really believe it appropriate to discuss operational matters on an open and anonymous forum.

If you need to know then you will know. If you're just interested then you probably don't need to know, which is why you don't!

SRENNAPS
2nd May 2009, 14:04
Slotback,

:hmm::hmm: After some of the things discussed on this site. You are having a laugh.

Wrathmonk
2nd May 2009, 15:45
Srennaps

Can't be that secret - from the MOD website operational update (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafoperationalupdate/opsupdate/opsupdate26apr09.cfm)dated 26th April 2009, available in a Cyber Cafe near you ....

... the operational tempo for the Tornado aircraft of 901 EAW remained steady throughout this week, with a variety of fifteen different sorties being executed. These included discreet Close Air Support operations, as well as reconnaissance missions and on occasion, a mixture of both. The highly flexible nature of the Tornado GR4 aircraft allowed rapid re-role into different configurations on the request from ground commanders or through interpretation of gathered intelligence.

The previous week it was reported:

However, in testimony to their capabilities, the Tornado GR4s maintained a presence in the air over the operational area of Operations TELIC and HERRICK, successfully prosecuting in excess of twelve Close Air Support missions

and before that:

This week saw the Tornado GR4s of 901 EAW involved in multiple Close Air Support missions during day and night operations; these contributed to the successful suppression of enemy activities

So seemingly still quite busy and not just keeping out of US air assets getting on with the job as some other wag posted.

God, I'm turning into WEBF!;)

Slotback
2nd May 2009, 17:23
I am sorry I didn't realise that just because some of the talk on this site has been breaching OPSEC meant that there was now a permissible free for all!

Just because someone breaks the rules doesn't justify anyone else. Or we could all live by the lowest common denominator and see where that gets us.

Open forums are, and have never been, the correct place to discuss matters relating to Operations.

FlightTester
2nd May 2009, 17:49
Slotback - you're absolutely right! As Wrathmonk points out, it seems that the place to discuss operational matters of the type that SRENNAPS question referred to is in fact the MoD's very own website. Shhh, don't let the baddies in on it though!

PS SRENNAPS - looks like you and I may have shared some of the same sandpits - Ex Goldstar and Crusader

OFBSLF
2nd May 2009, 18:42
I am sorry I didn't realise that just because some of the talk on this site has been breaching OPSEC meant that there was now a permissible free for all!
Slotback: you might want to reread the post above a bit more carefully. Those quotes were not pulled from pprune. They were from the MOD's own web site.

I'm sure that you know more about OPSEC than the MOD, so why don't you ring them up put them straight?

SRENNAPS
2nd May 2009, 18:52
Wrathmonk,

Many thanks for the link and the updates. Much appreciated. I always forget how good the official RAF web site is these days.:D

Slotback

Do you really think that after so many years spent doing time in the gulf (at the sharp end mate) do you really think I was asking something that was going to compromise OPSEC.

If I really want to know what is really going on I will just ring one of my ex Bruggen mates. Darn it, I spoke to one just the other day and he told me what was going on.:ugh:

FlightTester

Pleasure to hear from you. I would be intrigued to know when you were on the Goldstars and Crusaders. We were always well above the dodgy Blackhands and the sad Bats.

14 and 31 have a very special place in my heart. I had experiences that most people can only dream of. Kind regards to you.:ok:

reds & greens
2nd May 2009, 19:45
Hey SRENNAPS
Just be careful, I was a Blackhand for many years and both followed and led the Goldstars throughout the desert, as well as Goose & Deci...
Brüggen RIP - good to see you again at Wyton!
Rgds to L, also N&L
Cottoned on yet?:ok: