PDA

View Full Version : S92 Lightning Strike (on the ground)

More Payload
1st May 2009, 16:11
Does anyone have information on a CHC S92 that suffered a lightning strike while on the ground recently?

he1iaviator
2nd May 2009, 04:29
I believe you may be referring to the one in Miri Malaysia. Apparently quite a lot of damage. I would be interested to hear from someone with first hand info though.

ramen noodles
2nd May 2009, 05:01
I saw some pictures that were emailed to me, the lightning blasted holes in the concrete ramp where the wheels conducted the charge to the earth, the holes looked to be about 4 inches deep and perhaps a foot across and blasted the concrete onto the top of the aircraft and rotor blades. It would be surprising if that big a whack didn't damage some parts of the helo (although the photos I saw did not attempt to illustrate any aircraft damage.)
I will look for them in my email inbox.

malabo
2nd May 2009, 17:07
Rumor has it there is a video of the lightning zapping the 92. Looked for it on youtube but no luck. Anybody seen it that can confirm existence?

Bladestrike
3rd May 2009, 02:05
I've seen it, it does exist, but it wasn't on youtube.

Sorry, I can't post it, but it is out there somewhere.

albatross
3rd May 2009, 03:58
Some nice Men In Black suits and sunglasses will be coming to visit you and demonstrate a nice pen with a flashing red light.

Seriously though the pictures and video do exist they just aren't common domain yet.
Bright flash, large bang, much swearing - a truely "What the **** was that!?" moment.

Very detailed inspection and required repairs ongoing.

John R81
3rd May 2009, 19:27
Blast holes caused by the charge boling the water in the concrete.

the delaminator
3rd May 2009, 23:34
And are you OK Albert?? Didn't loose and spare ringits or fillings from yer teeth didya??

piggybank
4th May 2009, 00:07
Personal thoughts are make a big ditch and bury the whole helicopter, as I would trust nothing off that airframe. Make it an insurance claim. I had a lightning strike near my house many years back, some 20 metres away. It blew half of the electrical items plugged into the walls and yet everything else was fine. The telephone along with its surge protector sounded like a childs rattle when shaken. Maybe burying the helicopter is not definite enough, burn it and then cut up the big steel bits left after the fire.

you want what??
4th May 2009, 02:01
have seen the pics, but not the video. i know it exists though. could prob get it but at risk to my super secret identity!! lots and lots of damage to helicopter especially the undercarriage and blades, unsurprisingly!

apparently it wasnt just a normal bolt of lightening, but one of those Super bolts!!!

WBlume
4th May 2009, 02:07
in the US one was struck on the ground and popular rumor was that the damage was so extensive that the maker told the owner that they now had a 25 million dollar trainning aid. I believe that the same airframe was subsequently "carried away" by a passing hurricane....

albatross
4th May 2009, 08:59
Delaminator "And are you OK Albert?? Didn't loose any spare ringits or fillings from yer teeth didya??"

Nobody, thankfully, was around the beast when Mom Nature went on a RAMPage. I did not see the strike but it was loudest thunder I have ever heard.:eek:

Hows the "HIP" coming along? No rock and roll dancing for a while I assume.:=
Apply good single malt scotch as required.:D

Graviman
6th May 2009, 11:29
Out of interest, does anyone know what the certification requirement for lightning is on helicopters?

This was all thrown up in the air about ten years ago when it was found out that +ve lightning has ~10x the current of far more common -ve lightning. Current direction is also reversed (+ve lightning flows from cloud to ground - from memory).

forget
6th May 2009, 11:54
Scrap it, or history will repeat. :suspect:

HERE (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources/dft_avsafety_pdf_503164.pdf)

Rotor blade history. This rotor blade was manufactured in March 1981. In 1999 when fitted to Sikorsky S76A G-BHBF it was damaged by a lightning strike (see AAIB Bulletin 3/2001). At that time the blade had accumulated 8,261 hours usage. The blade was returned to the manufacturer for assessment where, following inspection, it was repaired and returned to service. Neither the thermal damage to the spar nor the manufacturing anomaly were detected during this inspection. At the time of the accident, the blade had accumulated 9,661 hours usage. The airworthiness limitation life of the blade is 28,000 hours. The AAIB and the helicopter's manufacturer are of the opinion that the electrical energy imparted by the lightning strike in 1999 exploited the anomaly that was built into the blade at manufacture and damaged the spar.

SASless
6th May 2009, 12:12
Let me guess.....the aircraft was not grounded (earthed....bonded") at the time of the strike but was just sat there on rubber tires....wet rubber tires (tyres....Dunlops)!

topendtorque
6th May 2009, 12:21
So, 'albatross', are you saying that there was a brief glimpse of a couple of bright sparks up the front end? extrordinary:ok:

oh dear its been a long day.
cheers tet

malabo
7th May 2009, 03:53
sG-qOv9NK_4

this the one?

Maurice Ponk
3rd Feb 2010, 21:31
We hear out here that another one had a zap in the North Sea whilst flying. Did the EFIS blow (like, seemingly a 225's did a year ago, Helicomparitor explain, it was quiet).
Obviously it would have made a dent in a main or tail rotor blade, and melted the honeycomb structure; but we don't see that (unless it's knocked a bit off) whilst flying.
Curious about the flying displays though.

nodrama
4th Feb 2010, 07:34
Out of interest, does anyone know what the certification requirement for lightning is on helicopters?

Have a look at this link for the AAIB report on G-TIGK. Lots of info on lightning protection requirement references and some good pictures in the appendices.

Air Accidents Investigation: 2/1997 G-TIGK (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/formal_reports/2_1997__g_tigk.cfm)