PDA

View Full Version : Working as a Pilot and Dispatcher

ards_boy
30th Apr 2009, 15:32
Hi guys,
I'm currently on and integrated JAR frozen ATPL course, before I commenced the course I was a dispatcher with a UK ground handling company who I am still presently employed by under a casual contract.
What I am wondering is...
Can I work as a dispatcher on days off when I (hopefully :sad:) get an airline job or would this not be allowed?
The reason I am considering this is to help pay off my loan for the integrated course slightly quicker!

JB007
30th Apr 2009, 18:24
ards_boy

I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed but you'd need to run it past both companies.

My concern for you would be as a low houred pilot on his first job the first 6 maybe even 12 months are tough - there is a lot to learn, you'll be considered a 'training risk' and risk of failure is added pressure so becareful going into a rostered week of long days/multi-sector days totally knackered because you've just done a few 12 hour day/night shifts as a dispatcher - your company/captain won't appreciate it.

Great idea financially but maybe not sensible...I did my CPL around a full time job and that was hard work - just my tuppence worth!

groundhogbhx
30th Apr 2009, 20:56
Something similar is our former trainer, he is still on a zero hour contract but is learning to be a train driver (I think the huge increase in pay might have something to do with it). He is very limited on the hours he can work for us and has to clear it in advance as it impacts on his duty hours. This would also probably be true for flying, can't say you've had 24+ hours off if you spent most of the previous day despatching.

Ballymoss
30th Apr 2009, 21:11
I admire anyone with a plan to divest themselves of 'the loan'. I can assure you though, when you land that job, you'll appreciate the time off.

Take heed of JB's good advice, he's worked at the sh*tty end of the stick (was actually quite useful in his crewing days;))

Rgds
The Moss:ok:

xtypeman
1st May 2009, 07:59
If you have a pilots job you will be subject to Flight Time limitations in the UK you will find it very difficult to be able to work as a dispatcher and a pilot. Yours days off will be legal days off not just days when you do not have turn up. I suggest to read CAP 371 on the CAA web. The best hing to send you to sleep..... This also applies to guys wanting to maintain there FI ratings as well. Have fun.

ards_boy
1st May 2009, 17:57
Thanks guys, all taken on board! Will prob get back into the dispatching if jobs are still scarce when I graduate, otherwise it seems to be more sensible to concentrate on the flying!