PDA

View Full Version : Memorial service at 0830 BST for those who have died in Iraq.

Al R
30th Apr 2009, 06:55
Today is a Memorial Service in Basra for those who didn't come back. It might go unnoticed by the mainstream media, but I thought that this Arabella Dorman painting was a poignant but inadequate reminder of their sacrifice.

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/AF1BA84E-E71D-43DB-938E-98F269EC283B/0/IMG_0781a.jpg

BBC NEWS | UK | British Iraqi pull-out imminent (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8026136.stm)

Wiretensioner
30th Apr 2009, 08:23
Just finished watching it on BBC and it was live. Very moving. Thoughts go out to everyone who served out there and especially those who died.

Wiretensioner

Cornerstone958
30th Apr 2009, 09:28
RIP to all that fell and for those who still suffer may you fine solance.
CS

Al R
30th Apr 2009, 09:42
'Interesting' debate about the contradiction that some people feel in supporting the troops versus their sentiment about the war in Iraq in general. There are some cretins about..

Listen Live | LBC (http://www.lbc.co.uk/listen-live-3578)

Bus14
30th Apr 2009, 11:16
Started watching the coverage live on Sky, but then got very angry when the commentator started yacking half way through the reading of the names of the fallen. Switched to BBC, and calmed down again.

I don't know any of the relatives, so cannot assume what they would have thought, but the insensitivity certainly had me reaching for the blood pressure tablets.

Bus14
Have fun. Don't crash
(which has worked for me on harriers, jaguars, lightnings, hawks, hunters and a fair amount if civil machinery - today was a stark reminder that not all are so lucky)

greycoat
30th Apr 2009, 16:52
and was that clacking of the cameras as loud 'in situ' as it appeared to be from the BBC soundtrack. Silence should remain silence.

jamier
30th Apr 2009, 17:05
Can anyone tell me what the bugler played while they were lowering the flag?

RIP to the fallen and i hope to do my duty some day and become part of the big family when i join the RAF on 12th may :)

NDW
30th Apr 2009, 17:17
Can anyone tell me what the bugler played while they were lowering the flag?

I sadly missed it, was at college :mad: , but I presume it would have been the 'last Post ' as that is normally played during memorials or services.

chappie
30th Apr 2009, 17:51
i want to take this oppurtunity to say job well done guys and girls of the armed forces that have resurrected and rescued a condemed country. Despite the loss I am forced to endure, today is a day to remeber those that have made the ultimate sacrifice but also a day to celebrate and remember all that made the country that it is today. You should all be so proud of what you have achieved and realise that you played an important part in a fantastic achievement, no matter how small. You have left a legacy....and lets not forget the British are the best!

All that is left to say....we will never forget and keep the faith...always!

pulse1
30th Apr 2009, 20:33
I would also like to thank the BBC for showing the whole service without any interruptions or explanations. I found that the very simple service and the reading of the names, along with the dates, very moving. I was also impressed when the BBC had all 179 UK names read out on the PM News programme this evening.

Sven Sixtoo
30th Apr 2009, 21:05
In the handover of command ceremony, which was after the memorial service, the bugler played "Sunset" as the 20 Bde flag was lowered.

"Last Post" preceded the Silence in the memorial service.

Sven

pzu
30th Apr 2009, 21:47
Yes - I won't begrudge my TV licence this year

One of the 179 was in my niece's year at secondary school - never met the lad, but

RIP Ben

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

Chugalug2
30th Apr 2009, 22:08
pulse 1:
I was also impressed when the BBC had all 179 UK names read out on the PM News programme this evening.
Me too, Pulse, I'm no great admirer of the 21st Century Beeb, but that was a fitting tribute indeed.
Chappie; as ever, well said Ma'am!

jamier
1st May 2009, 20:08
In the handover of command ceremony, which was after the memorial service, the bugler played "Sunset" as the 20 Bde flag was lowered.

"Last Post" preceded the Silence in the memorial service.

Sven

Thanks Sven