PDA

View Full Version : Staying in Messes

Maxibon
29th Apr 2009, 13:36
It always used to be the case, in the good old days, that as a serving officer, you could book into a local mess - subject to availability - for recreational use. Is this still the case?

I ask as we're heading up to Lossiemouth over Christmas for a week and rather than stay with the aged grandparent, who insists on forcefeeding the children chocolate cocopops and chocolate spreaded butteries, we wondered if the new officers' mess with its detached rooms etc was suitable to take a family of 4.

Any advice greatly received.

M

Wrathmonk
29th Apr 2009, 13:59
You can but unless the regs have changed recently (been Mess-less in London!) as you are not on duty you will pay "full whack" i.e. the non-entitled rate.

May be cheaper and more pleasant to find a local B&B / hotel.

And of course over Christmas you can bet they will have centralised messing / no bar / no papers etc.

airborne_artist
29th Apr 2009, 14:12
we're heading up to Lossiemouth over Christmas for a week

Thought it was April still, or have I overslept and it's October? Please don't start on Christmas when we haven't yet had the disappointment that is an English summer.

Maxibon
29th Apr 2009, 14:42
AA. The delights of having a neurotic, forward planning wife means my next 3 years of leave etc are all full covered. My sincere apologies for depressing you:}

airborne_artist
29th Apr 2009, 14:54
having a neurotic, forward planning wife means my next 3 years of leave etc

Still, look on the bright side - she's not planning on divorcing you any time soon :E

philrigger
29th Apr 2009, 15:02
;)

AA

Where is the brightside ?

Maxibon
29th Apr 2009, 15:06
Quote:
having a neurotic, forward planning wife means my next 3 years of leave etc
Still, look on the bright side - she's not planning on divorcing you any time soon http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/evil.gif

Hmmm bright side - interesting choice of words

Grabbers
29th Apr 2009, 19:55
Unless Mrs Maxibon has a hoover capable of picking up WiFi PPRuNe she'll be none the wiser.:E

Maxibon
29th Apr 2009, 21:05
The hoover was her Christmas present and she thinks WiFi is the soldiers equivalent of an online encyclopaedia:)

fltlt
29th Apr 2009, 21:42
Famous last words, usually followed by "Where do I send the monthly cheque too?"

whiz
30th Apr 2009, 07:43
It always used to be the case, in the good old days, that as a serving officer, you could book into a local mess - subject to availability - for recreational use. Is this still the case?

I ask as we're heading up to Lossiemouth over Christmas for a week and rather than stay with the aged grandparent, who insists on forcefeeding the children chocolate cocopops and chocolate spreaded butteries, we wondered if the new officers' mess with its detached rooms etc was suitable to take a family of 4.

Any advice greatly received.

M

Had you thought of asking the aged grandparent not to feed them chocolate ? It may be a cheaper alternative than the mess/ B&B :ok:

BEagle
30th Apr 2009, 08:51
What sort of a food fanatical lentilista could begrudge his kids some free choccy at C-word time from the ageing grandparent?

Just don't allow the kids near any DFMBs!

If you don't want to stay in an hotel or B&B, you could always take a tent....:hmm:

Cornerstone958
30th Apr 2009, 09:22
Slight thread drift but this reminds me of an acquaintance who got married and then attended the Summer Ball to avoid paying for a Reception!
Sadly the marrage did not last all that long:ugh::{

Maxibon
30th Apr 2009, 12:27
It's not me who grudges he chocolate etc, Mrs Maxibon is the one who has issues with the ageing relative. Apparently, no one ever gave birth or raised children before my wife did.......:ouch:

Army Mover
30th Apr 2009, 12:49
I remember living in the Mess; we used to love the pads moving in with their sproggs :eek:

Wader2
30th Apr 2009, 15:01
Had to stay in a Pongo mess about 5 years ago, never again.

It had the same carpets I got rid of at Wittering 30+ years ago. Same curtains, same bedspread/bath towel.

A wash basin/u****l that was wholly insanitary as it was cracked, and a 'new' desk circa late 60s with the top neatly sliced from map cutting.

Wader2
30th Apr 2009, 15:04
Back to the original question. We were booked into Lossie in February but in 'transit' rather than the Officers' Mess as the Mess was full. Realistically there is no way that Lossie would accept a mess booking this far ahead; the best you could hope for is a provisional booking in transit.

Best options are:

1. Do a quarter swap with someone.

2. No chocolate as already mentioned.

3. Learn to accept hyperchocactivity.

4. Book a B&B.

Maxibon
30th Apr 2009, 16:52
You will no doubt be pleased to hear that we've booked a cottage nearby, thereby satisfying all parties, except the children's sugar hunger. Mrs Maxibon will have a more relaxed Christmas but I'll still be faced with the horrendous drive. Thanks to all who responded. Summer ball as a wedding party eh?! Hindsight is 20/20.:)

Cornerstone958
30th Apr 2009, 17:16
No just a tight Git:}

A and C
30th Apr 2009, 17:26
If you dont want to drive you could join the Benson flying club and rent an aircraft for xmas.

It will have you "oop norff" in no time (well about 2.5 hours) and no traffic jams! & the kids can plug the iPod into the intercom for IFE wile you are left to yourself & ATC.

Pontius Navigator
30th Apr 2009, 18:52
And as you will need a car when you get there GPs can feed sprogs as much chocolate as they can eat while Mrs M positions car :ok:

Maxibon
1st May 2009, 09:01
A and C

I would be only too happy to go via Benson Air, however, it takes a tanker load of gin and pills to get Mrs M anywhere near an aeroplane. The car wins unfortunately, however we have DVD players and, courtesy of other PPRuNe threads, Over Here and Fighter Pilot for the little chaps to keep themselves occupied. Mmmmm 12 hour drive......

PN - absolutely right!

airborne_artist
1st May 2009, 10:10
Solution - Maxi goes via Benson Air, Mrs Maxi brings the car mit sprogs.

Maxi has a nice quiet time, only talking to a few nice ATC chaps/chapesses on the way, Mrs Maxi has a nice quiet time while sprogs are entertained by DVDs x many.

Win-Win :ok:

Maxibon
1st May 2009, 12:32
Its this ability to 'think outside the box' that hampered me so much at Cranditz. Trebles all round.

7of9
1st May 2009, 13:04
This is a great B&B, we use it when we go up to Lossiemouth;

Moray Hotel in Lossiemouth Scotland (http://www.skerrybrae.co.uk/)

Great Breakfast & nice quiet Bar.
Rooms are good too.

Trev:ok::ok:

Maxibon
1st May 2009, 14:14
Stayed there previously but want the beloved children with us this time. Found and booked a cottage but have to agree with you - the Skerry is great - not the place I remember from 20 years ago. Excellent poached haddock and eggs for brekky.

Anyway, to prevent anyone getting pi**ed orf with this thread, we can probably bin it now. Thanks for all your replies.

Max

Union Jack
1st May 2009, 14:33
"Anyway, to prevent anyone getting pi**ed orf with this thread"

Not sure that The Honorary Air Commodore for Lyneham will be reading this thread!:)

Jack

PS Have a great stay in a great place:ok:

Seldomfitforpurpose
2nd May 2009, 00:02
Is it just me or is Max married to every mans worst nightmare.............:eek:

AdanaKebab
2nd May 2009, 09:21
Does anyone know if it is possible to stay in any Mess in the UK at the 'lower' rate (for either duty or pleasure) if your post is in Europe with NATO and you are therefore not affiliated to any mess and therefore don't pay any mess bills anywhere.

Maxibon
2nd May 2009, 09:41
Whoops - left the page unattended and Mrs Max has proferred her opinion. She claims that she's not every man's worst nightmare and that she firmly believes she is doing the best given her idiot husband's limited intellect and sense of domestic ability.

New thread - Wife for Sale - Forces friendlyish - One previous couldn't careless owner. Offers invited.