PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good charter pilot?

Ando1Bar
29th Apr 2009, 08:34
I'm hoping pprune's experts might be able to help me out.

I'm putting together a presentation for a group of upcoming CPL students about what makes a successful charter pilot. I have my own ideas and opinions given my background, but I'm hoping for some fresh thoughts from others that have been there, done that (or still doing that).

Examples might be how you prepare your aircraft prior to the passengers arriving or what you do en-route to keep them happy. Even thoughts from employers about what makes a good pilot would be useful.

Fingers crossed that this thread doesn't de-rail into a 'today's pilots are lazy' or Gen Y bashing session.

aussie_hawk
29th Apr 2009, 09:16
Have over 2 years of charter experience in the kimberley, my advice is keep it simple.

Meaning everything you do as a CPL holder can be broken down into a list of simple things, do these and you can handle most situations.

Some of these are:
1) Take at least 15 mins to complete a walk around/preflight you never know what you can miss when you rush
2) Keep neat and tidy when with passengers (especially includes language) comes down to being professional
3) A little bit of forethought goes along way, e.g does a destination have ATIS/AWIS found in a current ERSA that you have actually read!!
4) Everything is yet to be learnt, but don't forget the basics along the way.

TexanPilot
29th Apr 2009, 10:20
I think a couple of important points are adaptability and professionalism. Different pax require you to act different ways, some people are very laid back and a willing to chat away with you but other people just expect you to sit there shut up and fly the plane.

Sqwark2000
29th Apr 2009, 10:32
Be ready to go 15mins before the appointed time. This includes warming the engine/s and runups complete, so you can load the pax and go.

For longer flights, have some bottled water and muesli bars etc on hand to pass around.

Ask the customer if they have arranged for transport at their destination, get the number and call ahead to give an accurate eta.

Give a business card to your customer so they can call you if plans change during the layover i.e finished early and heading back to airport etc

S2K

go_soaring
29th Apr 2009, 10:52
If I could have my GA charter days over again, I would only change one or two things. I would develop a 'Scan Action Flow' for each a/c that I flew, I sadly only learnt about these once I got into the Airline world. I always got the job done, but it was generally in a different pattern each time. ie, entering the runway: strobes on, tx on, pumps on. Next day it was pumps on, tx on then strobes on. etc

The second item would be to use a checklist, as a checklist after completing the scans.

My 2 cents,
go_soaring! instead

Cessna Capt
29th Apr 2009, 10:59
Meet sound weird but keep your weight under control. 75kg pilot can take a lot more payload :ok:

Like someone said earlier, be ready to go 10-15mins before hand. Act friendly even though it may be your 4th scenic for the day so that the pax feel special. It may mean repeat business or a kind word about you to your boss.

Also get familar with using digital cameras and taking a good shot. Always get a few request to take a shot of the group in front of the aircraft.

multime
29th Apr 2009, 12:03
Company,s aren,t looking for 100kg pilots.
Believe me they don,t last long, personallity plus.Rules.!!
Is paramount.
German arrogont dkhds, english tossers, smelly fat Euro trash, coons, ferals , stinking natives.
Love it, just smile.
No real constructive advice here but who cares.
If you can,t fly with all that going on you shouldn,t be there.
Charactor building.
M!:ok:

kellykelpie
29th Apr 2009, 12:47
Laid back and happy-go-lucky pilots are the ones that seemed to fit in well in the top end. An ability to get on well with everyone is pretty important in small towns and small companies.

Also, practical types - not afraid to look under the bonnet or get their hands dirty. Basically, picture a "bred in the country" nice guy that grew up helping dad fix the tractor - lots of common sense. That to me is the ideal charter pilot.

dogcharlietree
29th Apr 2009, 14:48
I agree mostly with S2K however after a few years in corporate jet charter, I would add;
1) Be ready to start engines 1 hour before client says they will be ready.
2) Be friendly, but not familiar to pax. They are not "mate". They are "Sir" etc, until YOU are invited to call them by their first name.
Introduce yourself by your first name and advise them about refreshments on the way. If you cannot serve them yourself then advise them when they can help themselves.
3) Do not lie to them if there is a problem. Tell them the truth, but only offer this if there is no other way to deal with the situation.
4) Your presentation must be immaculate.
5) If jet charter, always carry passport and some close international charts. I've had clients want to go O/S when away on a trip. Very embarrassing to say that your passport is at home and will have to be couriered to you.
6) I cannot count the number of times I've changed plans whilst airborne for a client's requirement. All ok and easy to do as long as it can be done SAFELY. If you then need to stop for fuel, then stop for fuel.
Mostly, Safety is paramount. Sometimes you may have to say NO to a clients request. Don't worry, your a** is very important to you and you will be of no use to anyone if you are buried in the side of a hill.

Balthazar_777
29th Apr 2009, 17:19
Remember that when you are in the aeroplane, fly it. And keep flying it.

Go on a diet if you want, wear a tie if it helps, but getting the aeroplane to the destination, legally, every time will get you the gong.

Sometimes we lose sight of the obvious in this job, especially in the GA world of idiot employers.

Good luck,

socks and thongs
29th Apr 2009, 17:42
Definitely agree with all the technical ones and indeed remembering Job numer 1 - getting the aeroplane and contents safely to the destination.

One big one which I'm sure most of us have faced is maintaining your own strict set of standards, and avoiding the temptation to cut corners to save time. Some days on your 15th sector it really gets hard to keep pressing yourself for your best standard, and often the temptation to blast off or cut a short circuit to get in quick is there. Fly every leg like it's the first one of the day, efficiency is certainly important, but no more so than safety, or the law

Another part of this is knowing the limits of yourself and your equipment. I'm sure most who have done time up north have had a bunch of tradies pushing them to carry more than their fair share of tools on board, or a mate who wasn't on the manifest, or trying to crack a tinnie on board. You'll get it, and it's tough at the start to stand your ground. It's funny though because as you become more confident and sure about your craft and yourself it becomes more and more enjoyable by the day to tell them to pi$$ off.

From an employers perspective, of course someone who works hard makes them happy. Again you have big days where by the end of the day it turned out nothing like it should have. People don't turn up, things change. It gets annoying, but it's your job. Don't push yourself beyond normal comfort zone, stay legal but if you crack it at your boss for a diversion for another flight on the way home because you imagined a cold one on your hand by 5pm you won't be doing yourself any favours.

Stay legal.

bizzybody
29th Apr 2009, 22:12
'Scan Action Flow' for each a/c

go_soaring :ok: brilliant.

I think a couple of important points are adaptability and professionalism. Different pax require you to act different ways

Another brilliant comment :ok:

Ando1Bar, there are some really good comments in this thread for you to take not of

tinpis
29th Apr 2009, 22:32
If only Ranald Dennis was around to give you a few pointers. :rolleyes:

Section28- BE
29th Apr 2009, 23:38
Tin- well said..........

A truly eloquent exponent of the "KISS" principle, if ever there was one.

Rgds
S28- BE

Afterburner1
30th Apr 2009, 00:12
Always make sure that there are plenty of sick bags in the back of each seat pocket, make sure that rubbish like lolly wrappers are removed from under the seats and seat pockets from the previous flight, make sure the windows are spotless, especially if doing a scenic flight and have the seatbelts nicely presented.

Most importantly don't become complacent, even if you've done the same flight 100 times before, there's always more to learn, and have fun along the way!

Burner:ok:

ksa5223
30th Apr 2009, 00:22
* Have all your clothes ironed and ready to go the night before even if your not planned to work the next day.

* Be able to receive a phone call and be dressed, flight plan in, weather checked and in the car on the way to the airport within 15 minutes.

* Check weather/ NOTAM's on your days off so you know what the big picture is which saves alot of time when you get called in on days off.

* Don't be scared to fly to new places you have never been. When someone asks you to take you somewhere with a name you cannot even pronounce on the radio all you should be worried about is the distance and bearing.:ok:

*Even if your doing 20 short sector hops a day, still do a damn safety briefing even if that just means sitting at the holding point talking in your head. Know too many that don't do it. Include your actions in emergencies in your safety brief so its clear cut what your going to do, rather than scratch your head for half a second when something does go wrong.

* Not every field is 126.70 as many like to think! Still read your ERSA/COUNTRY STRIP GUIDE, look for frequency boundaries on ERC LOW's and plot LAT/LONG of remote strips you are going to to see if it falls within one.

* Put in a SARTIME, no one cares where you are.

Mr. Hat
30th Apr 2009, 00:27
The ability to say "No".

Being able to recognise when its time to turn around and abort the mission.

Di_Vosh
30th Apr 2009, 01:08
Fantastic advice so far.

The only "technical" tip that I haven't read yet is to save your more "common/likely" flight plans into NAIPS. Speeds up flight planning.

In one of my previous jobs we had our own folders within NAIPS. In them were folders for each of the aircraft that we flew, and within them were the saved routes. All we had to enter were the departure times and SAR times for the VFR plans.

On the non-technical side:

Lifestyle issues, esp. if you're based in a remote area or even a country town. Things like what to bring, mobile phone provider, etc.

You could give advice on CV preparation, how to search for employers, how to apply for jobs, etc.

You may also want to advise them on the pros and cons of AFAP membership.

If it were me, I'd also be advising soon-to-be CPL's that while it's good to have a career plan and to plan milestones; it's also important not to be too "Hungry" or to be in too much of a rush to get that coveted "Airline job" (if that's their ambition). Basically, to enjoy themselves while they are doing it.

DIVOSH!

The Green Goblin
30th Apr 2009, 01:45
No matter how quickly you climb that greasy pole, you're only ever one slip away from the bottom :}

Bagot_Community_Locator
30th Apr 2009, 02:35
The ability to cope with being continuously shafted by the operator's you work for

Bagot_Community_Locator
30th Apr 2009, 02:37
The ability to cope with being continuously shafted by the operator's you work for :ouch:

solowflyer
30th Apr 2009, 03:28
The ability to survive on 2 min noodles and lose all sence of smell. Not to mention the ability to not dry retch when moping up spew:yuk:

tio540
30th Apr 2009, 06:39
Knowing the accurate fuel capacity of the aircraft, even though they have been flying it for 1 year. Believe me some don't.

Tmbstory
30th Apr 2009, 07:31
Socks and Thongs:
Ando1Bar:

A most important point to mention, is that of your own standard.

I flew VIP's for many years. My standard of operation was that if I had a good safe pleasant flight, then everbody behind me had the same flight. There should be no different standard, if you have passengers or not.

Do not tell untruths and gain and maintain the trust of the Clients

Tmb

Rudder
30th Apr 2009, 09:44
A good chief pilot.

ZK-NSN
30th Apr 2009, 11:46
Know your machine, a good knowledge of the systems, fuel capacity and endurance. Be able to work out accurate payloads / endurance at different fuel loads off the top of your head.

Know the rules and operator SOP's well, You cant always pull out the books.

Listen to all the advice you can get, then decide whether you think its crap or not.

Probably the most dangerous phrase in G.A "she'll be right". she aint always right, often shes not even close.
My other favourite one is 'the last guy did it ok." (There is a joke in NZ that sums this one up quite well)

Expect to be put on the spot. Whether it be taking extra weight from a short strip or pushing into bad weather. Set your limits early and dont push beyond them. the pax may kick up a stink but safety has to be the over-riding factor at all times, its for their benefit too. if your getting worried then usually your pax started to worry 10 minutes ago.

Other than that I would suggest getting a taste for canned food and always carry a good book with you. At the end of the day GA is a fun sector of aviation, try and enjoy it.
Its only as dangerous as you choose to make it.

The Green Goblin
30th Apr 2009, 12:01
Other than that I would suggest getting a taste for canned food

Heeey Bro, wanna chup???:}

megle2
30th Apr 2009, 12:23
Are your students working with a flight and duty programe while training?
They never seem to know much when they start out with a fresh CPL.

As Mr Hat states " know when to turn back "
Know what the M/R should be used for
Know how an MEL works
Understand weight and balance
Keep the a/c clean, wipe oil off cowls, u/c doors ect
Wear an ironed shirt!!!
Not so popular with the boss / clients - tats, personal metal fittings ect
Log I/F correctly
Ride your motor bike sedately around the office area

ect ect ect

ciscodiscocisco
30th Apr 2009, 12:54
Play Flight SIM until you have 10,000 hours on type.........:eek:

Cessna Master Beta
30th Apr 2009, 13:13
Ciscodiscocisco you where the best charter pilot that I ever met even thou you werent one and lied to some clients who later requested you .

For my two cents a pilot with a a good rapport with the clients and keeps a clean aircraft will go a long way. Remember there chartering the plane for a reason, not to build your hours.

hoss
30th Apr 2009, 13:27
know how to fly overweight if required. know how to get back with a system unserviceablity when others might not. know how to 'get in' when others cant.

can see certain types cringing at just the few points mentioned. funny thing is these qualities/skills go all the way to airline flying and arguably into space flight.

Lodown
30th Apr 2009, 14:24
To expand on Rudder's comment:
A good CP; a good instructor; a good aircraft; a good company; good pilots to work with; a good engineer; good ATC; good weather forecasting; good surveillance; good passengers; etc. It's a team thing.

ciscodiscocisco
1st May 2009, 07:46
thanks cessna i think we flew a couple of times together i think i was sitting in the back seat while you were taking the controls...... and thats how you got the nick of cessnamastarbatter cause thats what you were doing in one fine cessna.....

Well anyways i got my endorsement in the 787 and still remm the days at work.

Take care buddy:ok:

sms777
1st May 2009, 12:14
Know how to spell :ugh:

ciscodiscocisco
1st May 2009, 12:56
of couurse i do im a pilot i know it all.....isnt that rtrue cessna??

Towering Q
1st May 2009, 15:03
Know how to spell

Take it easy on Ciscodisco, english is his second language, a very distant second.`

For my two cents a pilot with a a good rapport with the clients and keeps a clean aircraft will go a long way. Remember there chartering the plane for a reason, not to build your hours.

Good comment Cessna MB, you sure you're not thinking of running a charter outfit?

One trait I would like to add...don't go weak at the knees just because the TAF has a Prob30 for thunderys.

Lineboy4life
1st May 2009, 21:54
....a good pay packet :}

PercyWhino
1st May 2009, 23:45
Something simple. Develop a technique for hot and cold starts for your engine that works with minimal engine cranking/backfires/engine that runs then stops due vapour lock/ puffs of black smoke/ revs the sh*t out of the motor. Passengers do not like the above mentioned. They just dont understand the concept of a vapour locked engine.

pill
2nd May 2009, 03:01
Clear eyes(the eye drops, I mean), tic tak's and no-doz.

captncannot
2nd May 2009, 05:38
know how to fly overweight if required. know how to get back with a system unserviceablity when others might not. know how to 'get in' when others cant.I disagree entirely with the above. My advice would be, be prepared to say NO politely but firmly, to any employers, clients or engineers asking you to operate illegally. It will happen, so be ready to stand your ground.

Nobody ever expects a flight to end in an accident. But every time you fly, consider that your preparation will become subject to rigorous examination if someone gets hurt.

Your professionalism and discipline alone will determine what is said about you following an accident investigation. Decide in advance that should someone get hurt today, it may be fate, or it may be circumstance beyond my control - but MY actions will not be found contributing.

There are simply no excuses for operating overweight that will withstand public scrutiny following an accident. Don't be drawn on discussions about technicalities - performance has nothing to do with it. All that matters is that you come up the kok if the flight doesn't go your way.

Consider how such factors would be considered by a court and/or the media if someone gets hurt while you're PIC. Consider how such findings would be viewed by your peers and prospective employers. You will encounter (and rightly so) some very rigid views on this topic should you aspire to flying larger aircraft later in your career.

It's YOUR license, it's YOU who is responsible.

If fate deals you a raw hand, try your best to make sure it wasn't you who poked the first hole in the cheese :ok:

multi_engined
2nd May 2009, 05:50
I have only been in charter for around a year but my advice:

1) Don't leave passenger bags on the ground.

2) Be happy and upbeat as you can, even if the pax are rude... And always keep them updated as you can in flight on what is happening if you are expecting any delays. Pointing out sights of interests such as the horizontal falls, prince regent river... even if it's only a charter.

3) Be at the departure terminal 20 minutes before departure, have the steps ready by the landing gear, have the pilots seat pushed forward so passengers can step in easy and the seat next to the pilot push to the rear so anyone sitting there can enter much easier. Also make sure the windows are nice and clean and there is no oil streaking down the side of the fuselage.

4) Always make sure passengers actually understand you're safety brief and demonstrate features, ask if they have any questions.

5) Do not read flight manuals in flight unless you're checking something - this only gives passengers the wrong impression!

6) Airmanship - People who rush are often the ones who make mistakes, it's ok to hurry but not to shortcut.

7) Maintaining a good listenout on the airways, and if you are ever unsure about anything just ask! Peace of mind makes for much better flying.

8) Cross check flight planning figures, especially fuel calculations done by those such as champagne. People often just print the paperwork and assume it is correct, sometimes it isn't!

The Green Goblin
2nd May 2009, 07:55
7) Maintaining a good listenout on the airways, and if you are ever unsure about anything just ask! Peace of mind makes for much better flying

Like the Broome boys 150nm from destination asking departing traffic that is calling rolling what their departure intentions are on Kimberley CTAF :ugh:

My advice is don't over use the radio :cool: (nothing worse than some clown blocking out the entire North Kimberley with useless radio calls at a remote strip)

Oh and make sure you have the biggest watch and those gold ray bans else you're not a real charter pilot! (also keep the CR-2 in the top pocket as redundancy for the said watch)

B767MAD
2nd May 2009, 09:52
Aviate Navigate Communicate Commentate

trust your gut if you get yourself in that deep.:ugh:

as previously said , know where has what - fuel/accom/phone/good wet weather strip / normal build ups occur / lay of the land (roughly) for when it goes quiet.

i had a pre paid CDMA phone which lived in my headset bag.

best of luck , it's fun.

Horatio Leafblower
2nd May 2009, 12:02
Two words:

"No fuss".

no question about safety.

no question about the rules.

no question about client's changes to the plan (no matter how much it ****s you :ugh: )

No question that you will be ready to go, when you're needed.

...and a big watch and a pair of Ray Ban's and a picture magazine with Cisco's sister in it :E

Cessna Master Beta
2nd May 2009, 13:31
But Horatio if Cisco has a sister I would rather not see her in any magazine . Anything that shares Ciscos DNA shouldnt be seen in public. Cisco sister in law I would like to see in a Picture magazine :)

TQ no not startining my own charter company but just pointing out the pilots that have a personality often get requested by the customers to do the flight again. Something you wouldnt know about :}

Peter Fanelli
2nd May 2009, 18:46
FAAAAAARRRKK there's some crap in this thread!

:eek:

flyhardmo
2nd May 2009, 20:10
10yrs of advice for ya

-Don't crash
-Know how to hold your own at the pub and make friends for life
-have a sense of humour and have a laugh with your pax.
-be a good bull****ter. Gets you out of alot of crap and also lets you have a chuckle.
:cool:

multi_engined
3rd May 2009, 02:33
I agree there are plenty of bs radiocalls made but when traffic is conflicting and you can't see it.