PDA

View Full Version : Tail Wheel endorsement

bush.ranger
29th Apr 2009, 05:25
Does anyone know where a good place at Jandakot is to do one? I spoke to ACFT who confidently quoted me about $6000 for a tail draggers endorsement. The odd 18 hrs it works out to be seems a bit thorough for a tail wheel endorsement doesn't it?

Opinions?

-------------------------

I received a communication from the training organisation concerned, who indicate they have never quoted anywhere near the cost in this post.

Their communication states:

"Our website clearly states the hours estimate and I can tell you the most recent four or five students went through for about $2k and that is what the average price sits at."

The cost of any endorsement is largely dependent upon the student's ability, flying skills and quality of instruction. Any hours and cost quoted is thus a guide only for an average student.

I would suggest any decision on the quality of a flying training organisation should be based upon a personal visit and chat with the CFI, not anonymous posts from possibly inexperienced pilots/students on an internet bulletin board.

Tail Wheel

prospector
29th Apr 2009, 05:50
Exceedingly thorough, divide by 18 for a good operator, maybe by 9 for a ham fisted new boy.

slice
29th Apr 2009, 06:07
I did a tailwheel endorsement on the DHC1 (RACWA) whilst in the middle of navs for my PPL. Thus with not very much experience it was a shade under 6 hrs including 1st solo circuit.

VH-BCY
29th Apr 2009, 06:12
Tell him his dreaming!
One of the cheaper ways to get your tail wheel endo is to get it in an ultralight(sorry recreational aircraft) at a much cheaper rate. Then get a few fun flying hours under your belt then convert it to your PPL/CPL. Any good GA instructor will be able to assess your skills gained in RA-Aus tail wheel aircraft and issue you a GA endo in the minimum amount of time. I got my GA tail wheel endo after only a few circuits. There are plenty of RA-Aus schools around Oz with Drifters, Thrusters and Lightwings. :ok:

coke drinker
29th Apr 2009, 06:36
If you're quoted $6k you'd be better off coming to Sydney and flying at Camden with Curtis.

Clearedtoreenter
29th Apr 2009, 06:44
If you're quoted $6k you'd be better off coming to Sydney and flying at Camden with Curtis.

Or Forbsey at Airborne around the corner just as good. You'd easily pay the airfare and accomodation with the change.

ZEEBEE
29th Apr 2009, 07:33
$ 6000 :eek::eek:

Did you tell them you just wanted an endorsment...not the whole aircraft ?

Go for a wander down to Serpentine on a weekend...You're sure to find some one who'll do it for a bunch less than that.

Case Sensitive
29th Apr 2009, 10:49
Sure you asked for the right thing. Their website clearly states a five hour estimate for a taildragger endo: ACFT - Tailwheel Endorsement (http://www.acft.com.au/tailwheel.html)

plucka
30th Apr 2009, 02:57
Is Ralph Burnett still around over there. I did some tailwheel stuff with him about 10 years ago in his C170, on his farm (no landing fees). I am confident that you could get a tailwheel endorsement for well under $6000 somewhere else. I would shop around if I was you. What are they going to do it in a C185?

Fratemate
30th Apr 2009, 03:11
Does it have to be Jandakot? If not, try Busso. A mate of mine did his recently down there and had a great time. I'm not in Oz at the moment otherwise I'd find out how much it cost but, knowing him, it would have been nowhere near the amount you were quoted. He was flying the Scout.

solowflyer
30th Apr 2009, 03:21
Get in touch with Chris Shine he will sort you out.

Chimbu chuckles
30th Apr 2009, 03:33
I did my tw endo in a Decathlon back in about 1982 in 3 hours. I used to give Tw endorsements in PNG, to guys who probably averaged 400 TT, in 3-5 hours and that was in/using a Cessna 185.

You sure they didn't say $1800?

That would be more like a reasonably number in my opinion.

Virtually There
30th Apr 2009, 07:16
The Super Decathlon works out at about $300 an hour dual. If you already have your PPL, it shouldn't take that long to convert - 5 hours would seem to be enough. It's an easy plane to fly, and a lot of fun.

Now, if you're looking at starting from scratch, that's a different story. 18 hours from no flight experience to first solo is about right. But I wouldn't recommend learning a tail-dragger as your first plane - been there, done that, and paid heavily for it. If I were to do it again, I'd learn to fly first, then convert - you'll save a lot of time, money and heartache.

27/09
30th Apr 2009, 08:18
plus 3hrs of briefings at xxx

What sort of tailwheel aircraft requires 3 hours of briefings just for an endorsement? Have NASA but a tailwheel on the Space Shuttle?

prospector
30th Apr 2009, 08:47
Something must have changed a lot over the last fifty years. went solo in 4hrs 20 mins in a PA18, and survived the first solo circuit after the 130KG instructor jumped out of the back seat, must admit he was a very experienced instructor, probably the best I have ever had the luck to encounter.

YPJT
30th Apr 2009, 09:00
Ralph is living down in Albany these days. Last I heard he was still doing the odd tailwheel endorsement. I think he was using a Cub as he sold his beautiful old 170 a few years back. Might be worth giving the Albany operators a call to track him down.

$6K for a tailwheel endo is ridiculous.:mad:

rodmiller
30th Apr 2009, 11:27
I got mine done with Curtis at Camden for about 2k with a couple hours in a c180 and the rest in a Citabria (including some solo circuits)

dribbler
30th Apr 2009, 11:53
If you some how end up around Sydney I'd suggest Airborne Aviation at Camden. Good bunch of experienced and enthusiastic guys, great peaceful country style airstrip (if you are there early in the morning) and a good selection of anything from Tigers, Stearman, Staggerwing Decathalon etc...

ZEEBEE
30th Apr 2009, 14:39
Ralph is living down in Albany these days. Last I heard he was still doing the odd tailwheel endorsement. I think he was using a Cub as he sold his beautiful old 170 a few years back. Might be worth giving the Albany operators a call to track him down.

Unfortunately, he's also sold the Cub.
However, if you can find a tailwheeler, he can still do the endorsment and he also does BFR's.

One thing is for sure, you would certainly get excellent real-world experience passed on by Ralph

flog
1st May 2009, 00:06
That doesn't sound right for $$ at ACFT, I'd go back and check.

Jeremy is great to fly with (assuming it'll be him teaching you) and FKM is a great little plane.

tail wheel
1st May 2009, 08:20
Wind up alert!!!

I suggest you all go back and carefully read post # 1 and post # 9...

Then draw your own conclusions!!

:} :} :} :} :}

YPJT
1st May 2009, 09:29
One thing is for sure, you would certainly get excellent real-world experience passed on by Ralph I remember doing my tailwheel and low level with Ralph on his property at West Beverly. We were flying through a bit of a valley at an altitude he gave me then all of a sudden he asked "Did you see that"? "See what"? I replied. We passed under a single power or phone line strung between two hills. :eek: