PDA

View Full Version : Unable to sit Aussie ATPLs in Aust.

basementjaxx
28th Apr 2009, 21:51
Hi PPruNers,

I was planning to study my Aust. ATPL subjects with a flying school in NSW and also to sit my Aust. ATPL's subjects in Australia (I am situated overseas on a foreign licence). After having spoken to a number of NSW flying schools, they all seem to say that whilst I can study the course content with them, I cannot sit the exams in Aust., I will need to return back home overseas and sit it there.

This sort of defeats the purpose of why I wanted to go there in the first place - on the spot support etc.

Any regulatory reason why this may be? I couldn't find anything on the CASA website, but then again who can?!

(FYI, I sat Aust. CPL subjects overseas.)

Thanks in advance,

BJ

crosscutter
28th Apr 2009, 22:19
You will need an Aust CPL I would imagine. I found i could not sit the ATPL exams anywhere but Aust (I tried to sit them overseas).

Perhaps I'm the only one here but I don't see the point in what you are trying to do. If you don't have an overseas ATPL that can be transferred and you want an Aussie ATPL you will need an Aussie CPL first.

Sorry if I have completely missed the boat.

RUMBEAR
28th Apr 2009, 22:23
It sound like there is some misunderstanding. Maybe they are saying you can study with them, but cannot sit the exam at the school. You will need to go to an exam centre. Have a look at www.aslexam.com (http://www.aslexam.com) they are the provider of flight crew examinatons in Australia.

basementjaxx
28th Apr 2009, 22:27
Crosscutter,

I only have a foreign CPL and would like to sit the Aust. ATPL's in Australia 'cos if at some later point in time I wish to get an Aust CPL then ATPL, I would not have to sit the ATPL's again.

Hope that makes sense...

BJ

Capt Fathom
28th Apr 2009, 23:00
Pre-requisite Qualifications (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90069)

If you have passed your Aust CPL Exams, you will have satisfied the above!

mingalababya
29th Apr 2009, 01:34
(FYI, I sat Aust. CPL subjects overseas.)

I'm wondering how you did this? I work overseas but have had to return to Aus to sit my last two ATPL exams. According to the ASL website FAQs (https://www.aslexam.com/TOL/StaticWithMenus.aspx?PageTitle=Frequently%20Asked%20Question s&ContentID=210) they can only do this in Australia.

ReverseFlight
29th Apr 2009, 07:40
I have previously argued with CASA that I can commence sitting ATPL subjects as soon as I passed my 7 CPL theory exams but apparently that is not how they view it. They sent me this - look carefully at section 5.3:

http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/download/h12.pdf

It says candidates must possess the prerequisite Aussie qualifications, and then lists these below. Notice the comma in the second column under the line ATPL Aeroplane. The comma is interpreted as "and", not "or".

I believe the confusion stems from a misunderstanding of the wording in CASA's website. If you look at the link Capt Fathom posted, you will see the words "or full Exam Pass ". This does not refer to a full pass of 7 CPL subjects ; rather, it is trying to distinguish a partial pass under the multi-part exam system which existed before the present one (look at the note in brackets under section 5.3).

Not even everyone at CASA knows the answer (indeed at least two officers in their licensing division gave me the wrong interpretation) but you will find you are not able to book an ATPL theroy exam on ASL's system without 7 theory exam passes plus the CPL licence.

If anyone has an updated version (if any) of AIC H12/03, I'd like to see it - please post a link.

WannaBeBiggles
29th Apr 2009, 22:04
I sat my ATPL's holding nothing more than my 7 CPL subjects and an aussie PPL, so the interpretation that you need to hold an aussie CPL isn't right either...

ksa5223
30th Apr 2009, 00:52
I sat my ATPL's with 80 hrs and a PPL with CPL exams completed. No problems.

rodmiller
30th Apr 2009, 11:37
yea i sat my first atpl about two months before my cpl flight test

ReverseFlight
30th Apr 2009, 13:52
Right ! CASA has a lot to answer for this. A bit late though, I admit.

Who should I take this up with ? Dick Smith ?